“Clean and decent”

The Great Wall Hotel
Ranked #835 of 6,596 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed here for almost 2 weeks for work. It had everything that I needed, and was a quick walk to the Agriculture subway station. There is a lot around but you definitely have to do some walking. The staff was really friendly and was always willing to help with taxis and other suggestions for places to go. As others noted, it is a little dated, but not too bad.

The one con to note is that free wireless is available in some areas of the hotel and not others. I was here for a few days, left town and then came back. The first room had wireless but the next did not. Heard similar from other co-workers also staying here.

Room Tip: 16th floor had wireless, but the 14th did not. Heard from co-workers on the lower floors that they...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Edwin P, Front Office Manager at The Great Wall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear NCTexan2011,

thank you very much for leaving your review.

As we are in the 30th year of operation we try to focus on cleanliness and staff friendliness. Thanks for pointing that out. The hotel is indeed located near two subway stations, one is as you mention the agricultural center, and the other is liangmaqiao. Both are between 5 and 10 minutes’ walk. There are several small restaurants on walking distance, bigger shopping, dining and entertainment areas are about 20 minutes away by foot.

You noted that on some floors there was WIFI and on others not, currently we are slowly installing WIFI. This is done floor by floor and may take some time. However in all public areas there is free WIFI available.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcome you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Amazing hotel with the architecture of the 80s.The design, characterized by massive silvery cylinders swooping skyward looks attractive. The rooms are comfortable, the service attentive and friendly, and is located near the diplomatic community and embassies. Would not recommend, if you expect a real Sheraton standard. Our room was nice, good sized TV and comfortable bed.The gym was very good indeed, and the towel service was excellent.
Breakfast was a very good buffet of all the usual choices. All the amenities were very satisfactory and they all had a little peculiar Beijing touch to them.
Over all a business stop over hotel providing at the same time the needed comfort and home base and we will return to stay here if we visit Beijing again.

Room Tip: Club lounge rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This hotel is a little dated, but no major cons. The only problem we had is we could not get the heat turned off in our room, so it was always a little too warm. We reported the problem, and it was corrected that day, but the next day it was on again! We were told air conditioning not on, but we didn't want cool air, just no heat! Buffet breakfast ok but not great.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel has no major flaws in my opinion. But when I booked it I thought the location was better than it turned out to be. It is relatively close to the Santilun/Workers Stadium area... but after a day of touring the walk can seem really long and to make it worse I wasn't impressed with that area. Taxis were always easy to get and a metro station is only about a 5 min. walk so that was good. The rooms were average, the service was all friendly, and there is wifi but only in the common areas which is a bit behind the times.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This is my third (maybe fourth) time at this hotel.
I am SPG Platinum.

Pros:
Decently-priced.
Close to subway (and airport express).
Happy Hour from 4-7 each day.
Always 4 bottles of water in my room.
Within a 15 minute walk of "nightlife".
Howie in the business lounge.

Cons:
Showing it's age (built in 1984)....from the carpet outside the hotel to the fit and finish of the rooms (and I stayed on the club level).
Very low shower pressure (confirmed at 4 different times during the day).
Getting coffee at breakfast is as easy as getting blood from a stone (very unenthusiastic wait staff).
Elevator bell constantly dinging outside my door.

I travel in Asia a lot and I would say not to expect Japanese and/or Thai SPG standards. I stay here because the price is right (relative to other hotels in the area) and it is familiar. There is a Westin across the street that rates much higher...maybe stay there if you have very high expectations?

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AlexInJapan
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The facility is showing its age as many other reviewers have pointed out. The room itself, although a bit dim, is comfortable enough and clean. The breakfast buffet is uninspired. There are lots of options but none of them are prepared with any skill or passion for flavour and freshness. I could not finish my breakfast this morning. I was seated facing the cook behind the noodle bar. He was apparently suffering from an insuppressible condition that had him continually and rather loudly clearing his nasal cavity and horking (spitting) it into a wastebasket. It was an effective appetite suppressant.

If I can't remove that image from my memory I might not eat again this week.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank yourname66
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The Great Wall Hotel was a great place to stay.
The food in the restaurant was consistently good, the staff could not have been more polite or helpful, and the room was exceptionally comfortable.
The only negative for us was there was no Wi-Fi in the rooms. To handle e-mail, etc., we had to go to the lobby. They may have rectified that since we were there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business