“Maybe I'm biased..”

Ranked #73 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
London
“Maybe I'm biased..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

because I stayed in a junior suite, (courtesy of my employer) but my room(s) were huge, spotless, and with every facility you might care for, including (most important for me) an excellent large firm supportive bed. The breakfast buffet was well stocked if perhaps a little chaotic (the hotel was bursting at the seams when I was there), and the meal I had at the Happy Valley restaurant inside the hotel was both extremely tasty and came in generous portions. Yes maybe the decor is a little old style, but after the modernity of the city in some ways this is a welcome contrast, and its spotless cleanliness keeps it feeling spic and span. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

PROS:
-The best part of this hotel is the location. There is a main subway station right outside the front entrance! So close it looks like it's almost part of the hotel which was VERY convenient. Taxis are not always reliable and so it was great to fall back on the subway which was only 2 yuan(.32 cents) one way for even the furthest parts of the city. Subways are easy to use and saved us a lot of headache with taxis and money.
-Location also has a few restaurants in the next block, Starbucks, Seven Eleven for your convenience.
-Good breakfast selection
-Service was good. Friendly & accommodating. The friendly doorman was our favorite!
-Bank/ATM connected to the hotel to exchange your money.

CONS:
-The rooms are not 5 star worthy...more like 3 stars so it's not bad, just average. Nothing special about the rooms...they're outdated, bathrooms can get their own star ratings of 2. Cracked tiles, peeling paint - something you would never see in a "FIVE STAR" let alone a 4 star hotel.
-No wireless internet in our rooms. Free WIFI available in lobby only.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the front entrance. Nice view of the city and mountains behind.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank slee06
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Perfect location, reasonable room price, expensive breakfast (room for 2 and b'fast for 2 almost same price), subway from and to airport and subway station is a few steps from lobby. Highly recommended. Ridiculous rules of trip advisor (min 200 characters ) should be fulfilled.......,..., ..............................

• Stayed September 2012
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback with us regarding your recent stay. We aim at providing best value with personalized service at Swissotel Beijing and are very glad to learn that you had enjoyed the stay with us.

Again, thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Swissotel Beijing in the near future.

On behalf of Swissotel Beijing Management
Vantaa, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for almost a week. The hotel looks very nice when entering the lobby and well, there isn't anything specifically WRONG with the hotel but I think the accommodation experience still doesn't quite reach the same level as the public areas would lead you to believe... The rooms are ok, but need to say the bed was the worse I have experienced in years. Like would have been laying in a bed made of rocks..! The staff don't smile that much and when you're requesting services such as car transport (which by the way is really expensive even though no surprise...) they're trying to multitask which leads them not doing anything well and everything takes long time... Also maybe this is just my perception, but I've kind of got used to in this level of hotel, when you're asking for something from the staff to be arranged, such as e.g. the car, the reply normally is "certainly, we'll arrange this" but here the reply was "well, I need to see, I will try to look" -- and it wasn't anything that complicated, it was again about the car...

Breakfast was ok, lots of selections available. However what really bugged me was the so-called efficiency from restaurant service... They served tea & coffee to the table, but if you wanted to get a refill, then you needed to chase them because staff seemed to avoid eye contact... Also if you happened to get up from the table to get some more food, then your table got cleaned for next customer...

Location I understand was around a business area. Within close proximity there were coffee shops and 7-Eleven and some nice looking restaurants. Within around 10-15mins walk there were also shopping places, a westener mall as well as more local clothes mall.

English wasn't very widely used, but I guess that is more Chinese thing than hotel thing. Somehow I would still have expected that this level of hotel would have had better English skills..

I stayed here for business and I guess I'll be accommodating here in future as well. If it were only up to me, I'd maybe try to see for alternative, but all in all I guess hotel was ok enough so that I don't have huge problem staying there in future. But as you may understand, I wasn't that impressed...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear TeRaLaRa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid experience. We value your comments very much, especially the details are the most appreciated.

We regret that we failed to impress you with our Swiss hospitality during your stay. And our apology for the lack of professionalism in dealing the situations you had indicated. Your candid feedback has been shared with senior management and relevant departments for further improvement. Therefore, we thank you for allowing us another change to demonstrate that we are able to make things right. Please do let me know at jason.wang@swissotel.com for your next visit. Looking forward to welcome you at Swissôtel Beijing in the near future.

On behalf of Swissôtel Beijing Management
australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Like many travellers, our stay at the Swissotel was average but satisfacroty, espcially considering the price paid (we booked online and got a room for arounf $80AUD).
The location is excellent, being on top of Dengshisitiao subway station. It's a lengthy walk to the Yashew clothes market and the Sunlitun bars. Taxi's are not that easy to get, but for short local trips it's quite easy to get a local to take you in their pedi-cab for ¥10.
The Swissotel is NOT 5 stay hotel. It more of a 4 star. This is reflected in the dated room decor and the general clenliness - dust on the windowsill was a common complaint of many reviewers and our experience was no different. The room did not smell noticibly of smoke. The beds were hard - another complaint of other travellers. The bathroom was pretty clean - no large colonies of mould like I've seen in other Chinese hotels for a similar price.
Breakfast was expensive so go across the road to McDonalds or to Starbucks just up the road.
There are lots of good local restaurants around the hotel.
All in all, it's a good choice for a night or two, especially for access to the airport. Very good value for the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

During September we stayed at this hotel on three separate occasions. We were not disappointed. As described in the other reviews, the hotel's location is convenient. The metro stop is directly in front of the hotel. Although the rooms were a little worn, they were clean and quite adequate. The entire staff was friendly, professional and always helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mr_los_angeles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback about your last stay at Swissotel Beijing.

Overall, we are very pleased to see that you had enjoyed your stay with us. And looking forward to your return in the near future.

On behalf of Swissotel Beijing Management
goldcoast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I just stayed at the Swiiss in Beijing for a total of five nights.

I found this older hotel to be in a great location with very friendly staff ,

from Richard who always warmly greeted me ,
to the front desk and even the managers and the room attendants.

I stayed in two different rooms,
the first was pretty worn , especially the bathroom. the second room had a newer bathroom and was in better condition.

Like most Asian beds I found it to be way too hard, so after chatting to the front desk , a mattress topper was added to the bed which did help.

but still very firm.

the only down sides to me was the cafe was quite expensive if you just wanted a break from the beijing crowds.

I think wi-fi should be in every up-market hotel room now.

And I had to wait half an hour for a taxi to the airport on my departure after booking a cab .. I understand cabs in Beijing a little bit,
but there must be a better way.

Overall very happy and would stay again.

Overall a good choice

Room Tip: Pay a litte extra for upgraded room not for the extras just seem nicer condition
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo