“My Ritz Travel Group stayed here 4 Nights”

Hotel New Otani Chang Fu Gong
Ranked #39 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Atlanta, Georgia
“My Ritz Travel Group stayed here 4 Nights”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I found this to be an outstanding hotel. They made every effort to accomodate the Americans by setting up an American Breakfast each morning. I had a chef make my favorite western omlette just the way I like it back home in the states. This is a 5 star hotel in every way. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: When you travel with a tour group your rooms are selected for you but this hotel was willing to make...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The New Otani Chang Fu Gong Hotel is very comfortable and well situated in Beijing. The amenities and staff are plentiful. Service is great and helpful. Unless you wanted to pay a lot for food, it was not as good as outlying cities.

Room Tip: If a couple, ask for a double bed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Uruguay
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed 4 night in the hotel as part of our tour to China with Ritz Tour. We ask and paid for an upgrade to king size room for my husband and me and my daughter travel as a single occupancy but we requested her room to be in the same floor. They gave us a beautiful, super modern, clean and very comfortable King size room as well an identical one for my daughter just next door.

Some other people in the group complained that the rooms were not so clean and the bathrooms had mold.

The breakfast buffet was very nice, excellent pastries and a very good selection of western food. The view of the gardens is beautiful and they have a demonstration of Tai Chi every morning. One night we had diner in the restaurant and it was average.

The location is very good, there are several restaurants at walking distance, upscale shopping and the Silk Market very close by.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

As others have stated, when you pull up to the hotel and walk into the lobby, you think you are staying at a "7-star" Beijing hotel. The outside and common areas appear to have been newly renovated and are probably on-par with the top hotels in Beijing.

Once we got to your room, our opinion changed. Our room was on a double-digit floor (10 or 11, I believe) and it had not been renovated like some of the pictures others have posted. Although it appeared 'clean', the carpet had several small stains. The tub tile grout was moldy and the bathroom fixtures looked to be from the 80s at best. The room reminded me of a typical room you get nowadays at at an original Hilton hotel, rather than a newer Hilton property like a Doubletree.or Embassy Suites. It wasn't terrible, but it certainly was not on par for a top notch hotel, at least by Western World standards.

The Good:
- The breakfast buffet was pretty good. A large selection of western world food like scrambled eggs, bacon, croissants, etc. as well as Asian fare.
- Free WIRED Internet in rooms. This wasn't really a good thing for us, as we only brought an iPad and they charged for a wireless connection. So beware if you only have an iPad and not a laptop.
- ATM machine in lobby worked with our U.S. debit card.
- Room size was on par with a typical U.S. brand name hotel
- Our room overlooked the nice garden at the back of the hotel
- Metro stop just across the street which is only a few stops from Tiananmen Square.

The not-so-good:
- Bed was very firm. But this seems to be the standard in China.
- Stained carpet and moldy tub
- Taxi stand can back up since hotel caters to Japanese and Australian business people.
- No free wireless Internet

I'd rather give an overall rating of 3.5. Since that's not an option, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with a 4.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have a nice view of the garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank E-Monster
Chicago
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the hotel for 10 days. We were very happy about hotel.

-Location: in the center of shopping, restaurants, two subway line stop right across the street, a park, Starbucks and tree-lined embassy area 10 min. walk
- Management: top notch. All of the staff are very professional and friendly. My husband was sick during the stay. The lobby managers (Ms. Li and Mr. Xin) went out of their way to help us get medicine in the middle of the night, and arranged special food delivered to the room for 2 days. Cafe's manager also took immediate action after we gave some feedback on the food. We feel that they really took customer care to heart. A notch above other 5 star hotels we have stayed in BJ or in other countries.
- Quiet rooms. The central a/c is dead quiet and efficient! The deco is very modern, clean lined that makes the room feel very spacious. Even standard room is spacious enough. Nice bedding, bathrobes, slippers, etc.

The only area that needs improvement is their breakfast buffet. The hotel tries to provide a big variety for westerners, Japanese and Chinese. But the quality is not on par. The western food lacks quality bread, cheese or cold cut meats. The Chinese food are not well done. 4 different Chinese rice soup are offered very morning, but they are too overcooked. Dumplings and hot noodles are mediocre. I feel the hotel can improve its breakfast offerings by focusing on quality and even reduce the variety. Maybe a trip to some other top hotels and try out their breakfast may provide some nice benchmark.

But all in all, this is a very good hotel. It will always be our choice of 'home' whenever we visit BJ.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chic2007
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

New Otani is good. Squeaky clean (I suppose the Japanese influence). I stay twice in June '12. One time in an older room - a little dated, but ok. And one time in the re-modeled rooms - which a very nice. Good stay, good beds, good location. Mt room rate came with breakfast, also good.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ShanghaidAgain
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed four nights in early May. The room was spacious clean and comfortable with all amenities in the bathroom in case you forgot something(notably toothbrush and tooth paste).The carpet was as others have said oddly stained, but I think perfectly clean.
There was a more than adequate breakfast that met all needs, and the restaraunt seved at least some western food, enough again to satisify.
The area in which the hotel is situated had a lot of western comforts including Mc Donalds and starbucks ,Seven eleven and KFC. Also there was a fair amount of deep discount shopping fairly close at handIf I ever travel to Beijing again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The big stopper for ever returning to Beijing is the air quality. A very serious issue. My eyes were burning as soon as we got off the plane.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family