“Nice start to our China tour”

Hotel New Otani Chang Fu Gong
Ranked #44 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed four nights in early May. The room was spacious clean and comfortable with all amenities in the bathroom in case you forgot something(notably toothbrush and tooth paste).The carpet was as others have said oddly stained, but I think perfectly clean.
There was a more than adequate breakfast that met all needs, and the restaraunt seved at least some western food, enough again to satisify.
The area in which the hotel is situated had a lot of western comforts including Mc Donalds and starbucks ,Seven eleven and KFC. Also there was a fair amount of deep discount shopping fairly close at handIf I ever travel to Beijing again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The big stopper for ever returning to Beijing is the air quality. A very serious issue. My eyes were burning as soon as we got off the plane.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank angusmcsheep

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here for a 3 night business trip in Beijing.

First of all, the exterior of the hotel looks great, very 5-star and luxurious. HOwever the room I got was very retro, and not in a great sense. THe bathroom is still a combined shower and bathtub and the handheld shower is about as old as me.

The room decor was dated, flowery upholstery etc. The only updated feature in the room was the flat screen TV which also doubles up as a computer. You can surf the net using the television, and a keyboard and mouse is provided for this. It was kind of fun, but quite annoying when all your information is on your iPad and you can't use it to do your work. You have to pay for wireless internet, which was a hassle when I'm on business. THe TV computer mouse hangs quite frequently, restarting doesn't help. Had to have the IT guy over 3 times in 2 days.

Breakfast was in the cafe downstairs with a glass wall overlooking the gardens. THe Pavilions and landscaping were closed for maintenance when I was there, but the tai chi folks were still there practicing their moves every morning.

Venue wise, the hotel is really near the Forbidden City, about 3 metro stops down. THe hotel itself is also close to the metro line but you have to take a long route to get to the station, it was about a 10 minutes walk.

Venue with respect to the rest of the city, I have to say here are a lot more options which are closer. Every evening when I have to return from my business in the city, there is always a traffic jam so a normal trip which would have taken 20 minutes would take up to an hour, and the cab fees are quite high in this case.

THere is a MacDonalds near the hotel for other dining options.
Had dinner at the Mudan Garden Chinese restaurant, they do serve a lot of interesting food like turtles etc. Had myself a normal dish of noodle and tofu, food is pretty well done and the price is ok.

There seem to be quite a lot of tour groups staying at the hotel, and a lot of Japanese business men. The taxi queue in the morning can get quite long and not a lot of taxis turn into the hotel as it's located right on the highway, so would recommend you pre-book a car if possible.

All-in-all it was a fuss-free comfortable hotel, but perhaps I would try another hotel in Beijing the next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PrinCessPraze
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Just returned from a trip to China with a tour group. Our first hotel was Hotel New Otani Chang Fu Gong in Beijing. Since we were with a tour group, our room was located on floor 9. The room was dated, the carpet was absolutely pitiful (I don't remember ever seeing a stain that large!) and the bathroom was disgusting with mold in and around the shower. I will say the food in the resturant was very good and the hotel lobby was nice. Unfortunately for our group, the Prime Minister of Japan arrived the day after we did, and we had to pass through security each time we entered the hotel. Hopefully, the Prime Minister's room did not have stained carpet and/or mold in the bathroom. Our key stopped working and we were not able to get another key because of the Prime Minister's anticipated arrival, so we had to wait in the hall (after a very long day of sightseeing). Finally, a very nice young lady came up to let us in, but we didn't have our passport numbers (passports were locked in the safe), but after a lengthy discussion in broken english, she let us in.

Room Tip: Room was quiet, don't expect much when you are in a group. Traveling as an individual might be b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This hotel did have lots to offer in that there was a couple of restaurants and piano bar on site. The gym/spa was mediocre in terms of equipment and accessibility. Although this was being worked on while we visited. The gardens in the rear of the hotel were very nice and well maintained. The breakfast was extensive.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Exceeded expectations which were reasonable. The room was spacious and modern, did not smell of smoke and had a very nice room. Clean lobby and hallways and the breakfast was great.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2012

My room was pretty spacious and well-kept. The kettle and teabags came in handy on several mornings. Nice selection of toiletries provided in the bathroom. Internet access was free if you connect by cable, paid-for if you use the wi-fi. I connected by cable and it seemed to work well. When I tried one of the restaurants I found that the food was nothing special, but there are a number of other restaurants within walking distance (incl a McDonalds right by the hotel) so you are not forced to rely on the in-house catering.
I was in Beijing for the motor show, which is held at a convention centre on the edge of town. Very glad I ignored advice to stay near the convention centre, and instead chose somewhere central, close to the metro (Jianguomen station in this case, about 5 mins' walk from the hotel).

Room Tip: Presumably higher floors have less street noise: I was on 9th floor and it was fine.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PeterCG
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last week and it was very nice. Rooms are a good size, clean and fairly minimalistic but with everything you might need for your stay including tea making facilities (except without instant coffee sachets). There's ample storage for suitcases etc. Beds are very comfortable. TV was large, didn't watch any tv shows as they are mostly in Chinese with only a couple of English channels (Discovery and BBC News) however the tv also doubles up as a computer which can be used for free in the room, is fairly fast and you can get most websites (however I was unable to post on wordpress blogs or facebook and couldn't get twitter at all - hotmail was also a bit touch and go). Room service came within 30 mintues, they offer a fairly large variety of dishes at reasonable prices. Buffet breakfast was great, with an extremely large selection of dishes spanning continental, English, Japanese and Chinese cuisines. They also offered a buffet dinner however I opted for a la carte, Hainanese Chicken rice, which was superb. They offer an English afternoon tea, or a Chinese afternoon tea, or a mixture of both before 4.30pm. Chinese afternoon tea I recall costing around £20GBP for the 2 of us and was very good.
In the hotel there are a few shops, the best of which is a type of souvenir/essentials shop fairly well priced except for a couple of clothing items and handbags which seemed very overpriced. There was an evening dress shop, which, although the dresses were gorgeous, was too overpriced. There was also a type of bridal shop on the 2st floor which I didn't go in.
There is a post office in the basement, but be warned, the people working there don't speak very much English!
The spa is excellent and located on the basement floor. Fairly well priced with a Shanghai style pedicure costing around £20GBP (no nail varnishing though, just hard skin removal - with a sharp blade) and a foot massage costing around the same. There are a couple of vouchers located in the hotel room for the spa, which give some good discounts, the foot massage I recall I got for £15GBP with the voucher. The spa also features traditional Chinese tea making, with a wide variety of types from Jasmine to Oolong and Pu'er teas. The teas can be quite pricey at £7GBP for a small teapot, however a lot of work goes into preparing it, and it was presented on a wooden tray with strained, 2 cups, water, the tea in a jug, and some complimentary tropical fruit and watermelon.
Location wise it actually doesn't seem to be within walking distance of anything unfortunately (except 1 shopping mall featuring Burberry and Versace - however I'd advise against buying any designer brands there as the import tax on those items are very high in China and can be double or even triple the price of equivalents in the UK or US). There are a few restaurants also within walking distance, and a McDonalds.
Overall service was very good. English within the hotel was good amongst the reception staff and those in more managerial postions. Waiters/room service/cleaning didn't speak alot of English but were very nice and patient at trying to work out what we were saying. The hotel didn't have a UK to China socket adaptor so I'd strongly advise bringing one with you. Power sockets can be a little confusing as they have more than 1 type, however we travelled with a 2 pin us adaptor and seemed to cram it in 1 of the types of sockets without problem.
Business centre staff were excellent. Had to send a parcel within China and they were happy to sort it out and send it for us.
Overall I'd say a very good hotel and if I return to Beijing would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family