“Very good location, basic hotel with efficicent check-in staff”

Novotel Xinqiao Beijing
Ranked #69 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Perth, Australia
“Very good location, basic hotel with efficicent check-in staff”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We decided to stay at this hotel, as it was on the direct subway line 1 from the airport, and based on good reviews from TA.
The subway rode from the airport to the hotel at noon was smooth, mild manner behaved crowds. There were few small steps from the metro but overall we could managed them with out luggage. The metro station had several exits, we took a moment to find out the exits gate, but gave up so asked a person looked like an official / security for direction to our hotel, this person looked at our address, then replied in Chinese, we shook our heads, so she point this way. We took her direction went on the escalator ... lo and behold the Chinese, the Beijing capital's streets scene at an enormous intersections in front of us.. yes the hotel was in front of us slightly on the left, we joined the crowed and walked toward our hotel, passed by an excellent bakery adjoined to the hotel.
Check in was fast, efficiently, Chinese style manner which was fine with us.

Our room was fine, we could not work out the a/c so we open the windows which looked out toward the cafe areas, luckily, the weather was mild, otherwise I would hate to think be stuck in a room and at the mercy of the have the a/c!

The bathroom facilities were fine, I noticed that the water was supplied from a hot spring?

The breakfast area was busy, used plates were cleared very quickly by the serving staff. I don't particularly like the breakfast spreads, so much vegetables or green salads for morning are not my things.

We walked to Warfujing night market, it was nice stroll we saw the locals walked their dogs or on push bikes going about their business.

We checked out early for our midnight train to Xi-an, and unexpectedly, we were offer a refund for our unused portion of 281RMB in hotel credit voucher, so we spent at their overpriced shop bought a bottle of wine and snacks on the Z train to Xi-an.

We took taxi to the train station, it was rush ours in Beijing, two bell boys had to stand out side on the roads to flag the taxi for us!!! Took them 15 mins or more until they could lag an available taxi. Thank you.

It was hassle free, overall we found the service staff were attentive, helpful, although slightly rigid manner, but I could see they try their best to help, some of them were clearly struggling with English,

IMO front desk staff at an international hotel chain as the ACCOR must be able to converse at least to an immediately English thus mitigating regrettable misunderstandings with guests
This could only done at management levels at not all staff faults.

In our case at first I thought we have to pay for a penalty rate for checking out early!
Turned out what they tried to explain that they want to refund an unused portion in hotel voucher!
The whole incident took up to half an hour with us refused to sign as did not understanding what it was about, until they found a 3rd person who could explain to us and n the mean time guests were queuing up behind us!
All could be easily avoidance in plain English... hey when you are travelling to Beijing!!!
We stayed 3 nights 6 - 9 May (paid for 4 nights)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gmocanu_perth
Xinqiao_management, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Xinqiao Beijing, responded to this review, April 12, 2015
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Beijing Xin Qiao. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel.
Hotel management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The room was big enough for our family of 3. We have a small child with us. However any older than that, it would have been tight. Bathrooms were dirty and small. but that can be overlooked.
What shocked us was that in our floor, some rooms were labelled non smoking but people inside were smoking. I know this because their doors were opened and i could see the smoke leaking from the ajar door.

The breakfast was just ok. limited selections for 128 RMB. Although the best part is that kids eat free for breakfast.

Generally a convenient location for subway. Taxis were available for the airport. Doormen very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade for the A tower. They seem to have bigger rooms and they have a king room that co...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Oxon
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for five nights at this hotel the rooms were lovely staff polite and helpful and the breakfast had quite a good variety of food available. It is convenient for getting around Beijing too. To get to this hotel take the airport express to Beijing then five stops on the blue line subway (line two) to Chongwenmen take exit A2 and the hotel is facing you about thirty paces away could not be more convenient and so cheap to get to. Would I stay here again yes I would.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I stayed in the Novotel for 6 nights in May. I had initially booked a superior room but found the Premier room was not much more expensive at about 60 euro a night.

I arrived at approx 10am and checked in on the 12th floor. There was no queue. The girls had great English and were super helpful in finding me a room so early. I wanted to sleep as I had flown overnight.

I was given a smoking room on the 11th floor as it was all that was available and could move the next day. I was grateful for being accommodated at 10am but just a word of warning to non smokers - the smoking floor and rooms really do smell so if you don't like smoke, insist on non smoking. I was facing the road and could hear low level traffic sounds such as beeps but it was much quieter at night.

The next day I was moved to the 15th floor. The room was much nicer, with a higher ceiling, no smell and was facing inwards so no traffic sounds. It is described as premier but to me it was as good as the average hotel room in the UK, which suited me perfectly. It was certainly not a suite, not that I expected that. The bed was very large however - super king I would think - just for me! Two plugs were UK and the one at the mirror was Chinese style. It was wonderfully cleaned each day.

The room was in good condition and the bathroom was very clean. The shower was very powerful and towels were nice. The aircon worked really well, I sometimes even had the room too cold. The high setting really blasted out the cool air.

The breakfast area on the 12th floor was never at all crowded, only ever a few people there. I also sat there to have some drinks in the afternoon to take advantage of the free cokes, beers, etc. Again, not busy whatsoever.

I took advance of the free laundry service, two items a day. The items were returned in early evening the same day each time.

I had room service one night. It was delivered quickly from the restaurant and was very nice.

I also ate in the Utopia restaurant on the first night with two companions. The food was delicious and the value was very good. Some strange things on the menu but some more western friendly stuff too.

The location couldn't be better, literally metres from Chonwenmen station. Nearby is the Glory Mall and a lot of coffee shops, fast food places etc. It's very near Wangfujing, Tiananmen etc too.

The one bad thing was the wifi. It worked well sometimes but other times it just wouldn't work at all, or sometimes it would work on one device and not another for a few hours. It was frustrating but I suppose that's China...

Checkout was quick and again the 12th floor staff were great, really nice and keen to help.

While I am unlikely to have any need to return to China in the near future, I would definitely stay here again if I did. I would recommend the Premier floor to everyone, some of the reviews for non premier floors aren't great but I really can't fault the premier service.

Room Tip: choose a room with an odd number for less traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Rachie1234
Tubingen, Germany
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Overall
Location is everything. Stay at this hotel if you have limited time in Beijing as it is very central. If you wish to spend time at the hotel and not only use it for sleeping, take the Novotel in Beijing!

Location
Very Central, fast and easy to get to Tianmen Square and related sightseeing spots. Shopping opportunities nearby the hotel. Central station only few minutes away.

Cleanliness
Clean room and bath, old shower, carpet is very old and therefore dirty.

Room
Outdated rooms and loud from the streets and rooms nearby (you hear the cars even in the 6th floor). Size is okay.

Bathroom
Shower and toilet are in a old condition. Water is very strong and good after a stormy and smoggy day in Beijing (from a spring!)

Staff
Friendly at Check-In and Check-Out, English should be improved!

Breakfast
Very good choice of Chinese and Western styles, be prepared to wait for coffee as the breakfast amenities are very crowded.

Miscellaneous / Pool
There is a pool at the hotel, but even as a guest, you have to pay about 10€ to get inside.

Room Tip: High Floor is much better
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TobiasWsg
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Beijing Xinqiao. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Novotel Beijing Xinqiao, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to ensure our performance meets the expectation of our guests. We appreciate your feedback, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed one night in an "interior" room (i.e. no windows) on Dec 26. I found it to be very quiet in the room even though when I checked in there appeared to be at least one tour group checking in also. It was clean an fairly well kept. Best thing was it is well located, close to many tourist areas and subway less than one block from front door. Easy to find when coming from airport via subway. The people at the front desk speak English well enough to be understood without much problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CowboyKermit
Paris
Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located, with two metro lines right by the door, clean and welcoming, and offers attractive rates. However, internet is horribly slow, and at times just not available. Very annoying when you count on it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business