“Under new management -- Used to be Best Western”

Fifth Ring Hotel Beijing
Ranked #3,555 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Miami Beach, Florida
“Under new management -- Used to be Best Western”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

The rooms were HUGE! But the towels had holes in them..... The breakfast was okay. Location not that great. Refrigerator in room along with an electric hot water pot for your tea, but they didn’t provide you with tea like other hotels do. Complimentary bottle of water every day. Hair dryer, but not powerful enough for me. The beds were very hard. Not many stations on TV.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I am staying here because I am part of group that has been touring China. Prior hotels the group has stayed in have been pleasant. Even when the hotel staff has not understood English they have smiled and presented a warm welcome. However, this hotel has not trained its staff in customer service, so there is no welcoming spirit. In fact, the management is hostile.
When we arrived at the hotel construction was going on. They were jack hammering a section of the hotel on the first floor and the work continued throughout the night for more than 2 days! No apology for the noise was offered for the lack of sleep it might cause or the inconvenience to the guests of this hotel.
There is an electric teapot in the room and there are 2 teabags. But, there are no condiments to go along with them and nothing to stir the tea.
The hotel offers a buffet breakfast. However, it has often been difficult to find a place to sit in the dining room since the tables do not get cleared quickly. Food is not replenished in a timely fashion. Even though the buffet opens at 6:30 AM it is not totally set up before 7.
When the fruit platter is empty it does not get replenished quickly.
When I tried to order ice cubes (there is no ice bucket in the room) for my room I waited a half hour and then called again. At the 3rd call an hour and a half later, I was told that the ice machine was broken. I just called again (another night) and was given the same story, but when I went downstairs to the bar area and requested a glass of ice it was given to me. I guess the machine got fixed in 5 minutes time!
Today when I returned to the room from my day of touring the parts of the phones (there are 2 in the room) had been removed.
Upon check-in I discovered that the internet in my room did not work. A housekeeper (very kind) came to the room and replaced the ethernet cord (they do not have wireless). She brought one in, but it did not work either. Finally, the 3rd one was not defective.
When I went to use the phone again the handset cord fell out. It still has not been fixed. When I tried to make an outgoing call I was told that the phones were shut down after 8:45. Ultimately I was told that since I was part of a group I could not make an outgoing call.
When a fellow traveler requested that I help her because her room was being changed AGAIN due to bed bugs, I was sitting in her new room. The manager was there because the friend could not open the safe. She had not yet used the safe since she had just changed rooms. The safe never could be opened and she was again changed to a new room. The next room had no electricity. In the final room the toilet did not work, but they were able to fix it.
I asked the manager about the lack of customer service in the hotel. She responded that I was "part of a tour group and not entitled to receive service"! Therefore, we are not valued customers!
And, my fellow traveler was never offered an apology for her inconvenience.
The beds in the room are very hard (not uncommon in Asia), but when I requested more than one quilt/blanket to soften the mattress I was only offered the one and it had little affect.
There are only 2 bath towels and they are quite stiff. In our previous hotels we could receive more towels on request and they were soft to the touch.
When I tried to change money at the front desk I was refused because I was part of a group. The program director spoke with the people at the desk and suddenly they were willing to exchange our money, although we were not given any small bills and they were unwilling to "break" the large bills for smaller denominations.
This hotel has Best Western logos on the business cards and the ammenities in the bathroom, but I believe that relationship has been severed since it recently underwent new management/ownership.
I know that there are a lot of complaints listed here but these are all legitimate. I don't feel that any business that is designed to serve customers should stay in business when they fail at their mission, and clearly this hotel deserves an "F"!
I will be checking out tomorrow.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank qhdesigner

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed in the hotel as part of a group tour of ten and all of us returned quite disappointed. The room quality is good, however surprised its a four star hotel as it had no gymnasium or swimming pool facilities which are rudimentary to get a 4 star rating.

The front desk staff were very very rude. Hardly anyone of the staff understood or spoke any english and they would just ignore any queries you had. We had received an important document by mail while we were out during the day. Upon return when we enquired for the same at the front desk, the staff said there was no such document received. We had to speak to 3-4 different people and after half an hour did the manager finally manage to locate the document. Also, when we asked for a couple of empty plates and spoons in our room, we were told to pay a RMB 200 deposit and also ensure we cleaned and returned the plates ourselves at the front desk the next day.

Also, beware of the paid toiletteries in the bathroom. It is very inconspicuously mentioned that you have to pay for it at the top of the pack. If you just happened to open the outer pack by mistake they would still ask you to fork out the entire 48RMB.

All in all would say there are much better hotel options in beijing than this one.

• Stayed June 2010
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Avoid this hotel is a brothel! Prostitutes are in the hotel, proposition call cards are slipped under your door and condoms for sales in the room. We tried to pay for our hotel incidentals with a credit card but they only took in cash at the front desk – you can book on-line with a credit card…… This hotel is on the out skirts of Beijing and half the cab drivers refused to takes us back to the hotel when we were in the much nicer city center/western district.

To make it worse the hotel staff was rude, rude, rude! There were bugs in our bathroom flying out of a floor drain. Friends we were traveling with could not get their toilet fixed and ended up using our and the lobby toilet for the majority of their stay.

NO wireless internet as promised on the web site. This is not a four star hotel – 2 stars would be being generous.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Stayed at the Best Western Premier for two nights. we were a big group. The rooms were of a good size and well appointed bathrooms. The bbreakfast spread can be a little better for vegetarians. There is even a phone in massage service offering very good reflexology.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BarryDelhi
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I had a very poor experience interacting with the Best Western staff during my stay in June. (Admittedly, I do not speak Chinese, but I expected the staff at a 4-star to be reasonably competent.) Upon arrival, I was informed they could only issue one room key per room, which was highly inconvenient as my friend and I planned to go separate ways many evenings. Highly unsatisfied with this arrangement come evening, I asked again, only to have someone tell me again that the machine was broken. After asking a thirf employee and again explaining our predicament, we were finally issued a second key. Apparently the machine was not broken after all.

In addition, the hotel's IDD system requires you to go the front desk and make a deposit before your call, which was extremely inconvenient. The IDD prices were also very high, 10RMB/minute plus 15%. I purchased a calling card from the gift shop to make a better-priced call, only to have the public IDD phone (the only one that can read the cards) in the hotel lobby be broken. Neither the front desk staff nor the gift shop staffer informed me of this either before or after I purchased the card, which was frustrating. Ended up using the IDD phone in the hotel next door.

Aside from the staff's poor language skills and lying to me about the room keys, my stay was average. Rooms were fine (very poor shower setup in the bathroom) and the buffet breakfast was average.

Good for a layover, perhaps, but not if you're looking for good service or a hotel within walking distance of any shops or attractions.

• Stayed June 2010
Hong Kong
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We had a bad experience at this Best Western Beijing. Front desk people are very rude and not professional at all. No sitting area for people to wait at the lobby while check out. Not recommended at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple