“Fun, informative, and great value for money”
Review of The China Guide

The China Guide
Book In Advance
$87.51*
and up
Private Old Beijing Walking Day Tour: Dashilan Shops, Lunch, and Foot Spa...
$89.00*
Beijing Bike Sharing Private Tour
$115.00*
Beijing Imperial Landmarks Private Tour
Ranked #27 of 392 Tours in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: The China Guide creates private, customized China tours. With our Western-style travel sense and passion for Chinese culture and history, let us send you on a journey you will never forget.
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I were making our first trip to Beijing together and decided to see as much of the city and surroundings as our legs could take; so, based on tripadvisor reviews, we selected a 4-day China Guide tour... Our tour guide, Sylvia, was knowledgable and flexible with a great sense of humor. Our driver worked seeming magic in heavy traffic and made getting around a breeze for us (although I suspect a little harder for him!!!)... We were able to customize the tour and even changed a few stops on the fly (I am a notorious "let's stop here" person)... The lunches at local eateries were particularly noteworthy- fresh trout at one, with an emphasis on local products a theme at all... The meals were better than we what we ate at our multi-star hotel... A wonderful service, at a reasonable price; my highest compliment- I will use them again...

3  Thank Paddynew

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were a party of 6 and had sought out a good tour prior to leaving Canada. Our friends connected with Jenny of China Guide and we all were impressed with her prompt email responses and concise answers to our questions. She organized an itinerary for us that filled the bill for all 6 of us and took care of ALL accomodations and travel arrangements.

We were met in Tianjin by Jerry Yue, our guide with our driver and taken to the Mutainyu section of the Great Wall (away from the hordes that went to the other section) after a delicious lunch and then back to Beijing to watch the Chinese Acrobats from the VIP section of the theatre. While travelling in our van, Jerry was providing lots of details on the history, culture and commerce of China. Afterwards, we were taken to our hotel for the night. Next morning, we were greeted by our driver and Jerry and taken to the airport for the flight to Xi'an where we were greeted by Julie and her driver and taken to the Terra Cotta warriors site. WE toured this remarkable archaeological exhibition and she was very good at providing details on the Emperor who created the site as well as the nearby shrine.

After a tasty lunch, we visited the City wall and then the Muslim section before returning to the airport for our return flight to Beijing. Our driver found us and took us back to the hotel by midnight.

Jerry and the driver met us at 730 and we visited Tianemen Square and the Forbidden City, again getting great insights from Jerry. Later we visited the drum tower and historic Hutong district (By rickshaw) before having a delicious lunch of Peking duck.

After three full days, we were driven back to Tianjin and re-boarded our ship.

I cannot speak highly enough about our experience with China Guide and, specifically Jerry. He is not only a great ambassador for China Guide, but also for his Country and we were privileged to have him as our tour leader and interpreter.

I highly recommend China Guide to anyone who is visiting Beijing, especially via Cruise ship. They are one of the few tour operators who will pick you up from the port.

4  Thank Lowseas
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I booked a private one day tour to Beijing, the first thing I loved was that they have personalized tours and they give me a huge list of sights to chose from, afer my selection I inmediatly received a response from Cathryn this girl was extrmely nice, helpfull and friendy from the begining to the end. She helped with the tour and she even booked domestic flights and train between cities which was a big thing for me. She also helped with every doubt or request I had along the trip planning.

The day of the tour they sent an spanish speaking chinese girl who was incredible, the driver and her arrived on time to pick up us at the hotel. She speak perfect spanish and explained to us every place we visited with extended knowledge of history of Beijing, and even gave us tips and advises for the rest of our trip and China. The driver was also very respectful, pacient and kind. The car was a volkwawen passat and they offered bottled water all the time.

The places we visited were awesome!!! At Lunch hour, the intinerary said Eat in a huton with a local family, we actually eat by ourserves acompanied by our guide the variety of plates the girl of the house bring us to the table, everything was delicous very local flavor and it was very clean, the experience was more like a restaurant, because there were other group of tourist in the diffrent parts of the house doing the same. The intinerary said that we were suposed to learn to cook dumplings but they just send to our table little flour tortillas y then the guide tell you how to fill and close, wich is not an exiting cooking experience at all. But anyway it was great, the food was really good and the company of Rosa our guide was like eatting and chatting with a friend.

The whole day was magnificcent, visiting amazing places, we are relly happy about finding The Chine Guide I am shure our visit to beijing would be same, it worth every single rmb we paided.

1  Thank Caro A
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I wanted a tour of the Great Wall before we went to our Hotel off of the Diamond Princess. Jerry (super guide- very good English and very knowledgeable!!) picked us up at 6:20 am on the dot! We took off towards the Great Wall Mutianyu Section -a three hour drive from the port of Tianjin. It didn't seem that long because Jerry gave us a history lesson on China dynasty's. I have still retained a lot of it - which doesn't normally happen. Once at the wall we had the choice of Gondola up to wall and back or ski lift up and toboggan down. We chose the toboggan down. It was GREAT! Not scary at all. Choose the Toboggan you won't be sorry!! Of course the wall is phenomenal too.
We then drove 2 hours into Beijing and the Summer Palace and Jerry lead us around giving us a lot of information, explaining things and showing us the highlights.
He got us safely to our hotel at 5:00 pm. Can't say enough about Jerry he was fantastic!

1  Thank Pemberly198
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We live in Hong Kong, but my parents came to visit us from France and don't speak much English or Chinese, so having a guide who could speak French to them to make the trip to Beijing worthwhile was kind of mandatory for our family of 6 travelling for 6 days to Beijing (2 65+ year old, 2 parents and 2 kids 4 and 6 years old). I booked my plane tickets from HK and hotel by myself, checked ut which attractions we wanted to visit with and without a tour guide (to save on cost) and which shows we wanted to see. I contacted several agencies with French speaking guides or who sell show tickets. In the end, I booked everything with The China Guide. Their agent Talina was just great at helping me planning each of our days via email and phone, making sure the peace would suit both the younger and older generations. We ended up using the services of the China Guide on 3 full days, but 3 different services, so the overall cost works out OK for the 6 of us. 1 day we could visit all attractions (Forbidden city + parks) we wanted by foot from our very well located hotel, we hire the french speaking guide for 1 day only, no tour as such (so we had to purchase lunch and all entrance tickets by ourselves, but with the help of the guide anyway, so all went very well. Another day we took a full day tour package to go to the great wall of china (Mutianyu by cable car + toboggan ride down, lunch, Ming tombs, sacred alley and a stop at the olympic stadium on the way back to Beijing). Excellent! and we took another day tour with car and rickshaw tour around hutongs, temple of heaven etc... The China Guide also helped us in advance to book the show tickets to see the acrobats and the kung fu show. They got us the usual great discounts and perfect seats in the middle and near the very front, we could not have better seats for the small price we paid. Our Guide Josephine was very knowledgeable, spoke good French and was willing to practice and learn more with us. She replied to so many of our questions on top of giving her usual tour guide speech and she also played a lot with our kids! By the second day my daughter and Josephine were always holding hands, and by the last day my son was at her other arm. She was very dedicated so we all had a good time and ensure our well being, especially helping my mum on the great wall of china, holding her arm when needed when steps are very high. Josephine made sure we were happy with teh food, with the car and even the taxis to take us back to the airport on the last day. We have kept email contact since. So the combination of personnal experience/preferences, Talina's help in planning the trip before leaving HK and Josephine's professionalisma nd dedication made that we had the perfect trip, and we kept to a lower end budget, we saved a lot on the hotel and took the bus and subway a few times. We had great dinners and ate Peking duck 3 times in some of the best restaurants, being French after all... good local food was very important too!
Finally, the great thing about the China Guide is that after the visit they never take you to tourist shops, only tourist attractions and that's exactly what we wanted NO shopping so we saved a lot of time.
At no moment prior or during the trip we felt pressurised to do anything. no shopping and when i asked to cut in half a typical day-tour to spread it over 2 days to ease the kids and grand-mother, Talina came up with great tailor-made solution and cost effective. SO we could relax and enjoy, no need to look at our watch all the time to be at the next destination.
MERCI Talina et Josephine !!!
From Celine & family (French family in Hong Kong)

1  Thank Celine B