Review Highlights
One of the best things I've ever done

The overnight camping on the wall of the huanghuacheng (did I spell that right?) area of the wall... read more

Reviewed November 13, 2018
Kyle1294
via mobile
Amazing Great Wall hike!

We did a two day hike (GWT24) on the Great Wall! We had a really great trip with a hike up to the... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 22, 2018
lisette-china
Den Dolder, The Netherlands

All reviews camping gear huanghuacheng great wall farm house overnight camping small group quiet section own pace great guide restored parts local family recommend this trip once in a lifetime day hike central beijing an amazing experience private tour sonia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I took the 1 day HuangHua Cheng hike and it more than exceeded my expectations. The location was pristine, untouched and Sonia and I were practically the only people on the wall. The Great Wall really lived up to its reputation as one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

This beautiful location would not have been great if it wasn't for Sonia. She pre-empted all my needs and addressed them with great professionalism. She took the initiative to take pictures for me so that I could focus on enjoying and appreciating the breathtaking location.

Being a solo traveller, I am always weary about what unruly characters and situations that I may encounter along the way, but with Sonia I can put my guard down and have peace of mind that I am in good, sincere and honest hands. She even defended me from an unruly character who tried to harrass me in the bus ride on the way back. I am so blessed to have made this decision to take this trip, which is definitely the highlight of my stay in China. Couldn't have asked for more. Thank you so much Sonia!

Date of experience: September 2012
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Even though I would describe myself as a pretty well travelled and experienced hiker,who have seen and wandered along a not all to insignificant amount of hiking trails I would say that, in comparisson with my earlier hiking experience, going to Jiankou Great Wall with Sonia stands out as one of the most singular hikings that I’ve ever been to.

I agree with what one of the earlier reviewers said about the intentions that people have behind selling a product and not so much to what the product actually contains. I didn’t believe there existed tour guides like Sonia before I met her. She is a truly uniqum – not the least in terms of the passion that she puts into her guiding and the care she shows for the people, which go on her hikes. If I someone would ask me about what the ideal tour guide would be like, I would simply say ”like Sonia”.

As to Jiankou Great Wall, I never believed that another so completely different side of China could be so close to the commotion and smog of Beijing CBD. The scenery is truly singular and just the fact that you don’t have to deal with the usual Badaling-amount of tourists adds a lot of value. Actually, during one whole day of constant hiking we met a total number of ZERO other hikers! If you’re looking for some truly extraordinary hiking in one of the most beautiful natural settings you possibly could imagine – than I guess a hike with Sonia to Jiankou Great Wall is what you’re looking for.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

With her heavy duty walking stick and excellent language skills, Sonja radiates professionalism. She is an excellent guide for exploring the paths less trodden in the foothills and valleys of Beijing province. My desire was to experience a part of the Great Wall where there were no other tourists. Her choice of destination featured a stretch of the Wall connecting a series of lonely watch towers surrounded by impressive countryside approximately 90 minutes from Beijing. I found her to be knowledgeable not only about the history of the region, but also the flora and fauna. Sonja proved to be a patent guide and pleasant company. Her organization skills were excellent. I hope to be able to join her again for one of her hiking trips.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Sonia of China Travelers is an outstanding tour guide, very knowledgeable and her prices are extremely fair. I participated in the "Winding Dragon Great Wall" hike, which exceeded my expectations in every way. This section of the Great Wall is located 120 km from Beijing in a rural farming area. There were very few tourists and most of them locals not foreigners. You will see the wall in its natural unreconstructed state. Sonia is very patient in answering any and all questions. The high point for me was the home cooked meal we received after the hike. This was the best Chinese food I have ever eaten in my life and all the ingredients were grown by the host family. This was not a restaurant, but a local family who cooks meals for tourists. I will certainly see Sonia again next time I visit Beijing!

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed July 7, 2012

When my friend and I were wondering whether our driver took us to the wrong place, we met Sonia. She told us we were at the state-owned Huanghua Water Wall Park, not Huanghua Wild Great Wall. Seeing us upset, Sonia kindly offered to take us to the real Great Wall. Thanks to her, we found the place and had a great experience! We loved the wilderness ( the authenticity) of the Great Wall--it is truly walking "the history". Sonia explained to us its history, told us interesting stories about the old peasant woman who had guarded the entrance for fourteen years. She is a kind and genuine person, and it's so much fun to take a trip with her!