“Not cheap, but worth the splurge: Top, top quality steak”
Review of The Cut

The Cut
Ranked #85 of 12,817 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Guomao
Description: The Cut steakhouse, located on the 2nd floor in the Fairmont Beijing, offers the finest choice of Australian and Canadian beef in Beijing. It provides the perfect environment for business and family / friends dinners or for any other occasion that demands a perfect meal.The young team of the Cut is looking forward to host you soon and make your time memorable.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

It's not a cheap place, but I'd say that definitely worth the price.

I went there with a colleague, both meat lovers, and willing to share the Tomahawk steak. The meat was top quality and cooked to perfection: we ordered it medium rare and medium rare it was. Regarding this latter aspect, amongst other things you are paying for the expertise at the use of the grill. In many places it's very difficult to get a steak cooked to order, but both my companion and myself were totally satisfied with the juiciness and tenderness of our Tomahawk. The steaks I've had in other joints in town, within the 300-500 RMB range, really stand no competition. The sides were good, and so were the bread and the appetizers we were served.

Unlike some other reviewer, I found the service excellent. The young lady who waited our table (and who had also attended me on my prior visit to The Cut, during a Restaurant Week) was extremely professional, cheerful and knowledgeable. The rest of the staff also clearly knew what they were up to.

To sum up, it's not a place to visit every weekend unless you have a nice expense account, but it's definitely worth the splurge for someone who is craving for an excellent steak in a very pleasant environment and with top service.

Andreas B, Chef de Cuisine at The Cut, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear gamuzza,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time and writing a review about our restaurant. It not only helps other readers to get a first impression when planning a visit in our restaurant but also encourages our team to continue doing what we do.
We appreciate your very kind words and hope to have you here again in not too distant future.

Andreas

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have to admit that the prices for Kobe beef are quite high but well worth it once in a lifetime. Chef Andreas B spoiled my wife and I with attention and knowledge of all the qualities of Kobe beef at the restaurant.

My wife and I made reservations the day before as we've heard both the Fairmont Beijing and "The Cut Steakhouse" were at top of the list of dining establishments in Beijing, China.

My wife and I ordered a wedge salad and some scallops as appetizers. While the scallops had flavor they were cold. The wedge salad was decent but nothing spectacular.

We both chose the red Kobe beef ~7oz. steaks, usually i tend to order a larger filet but I’ve been informed that the marbleizing and fat content would surely fill me up. When both of our steaks arrived the servers brought 7 different kinds of mustard to compliment the rich beef flavor. The steaks were cooked to perfection, medium rare for my wife and I. I cut into the steak and the first bite was bovine bliss.

After we completed our steaks and a wonderful glass of Cabernet Sauvignon to complement, I could still taste the flavors down my throat as it was a reminder that no steak will ever be greater than this. I am forever spoiled from this experience but I know now that there is a gold standard for beef and it’s “The Cut Steakhouse” at the Fairmont Beijing.

Note: Chef Andreas took the time out that evening to speak about beef and Germany. I found that it was a nice personal touch and made our experience that much more special.

Andreas B, Chef de Cuisine at The Cut, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear tluehr1,

first of all I would like to thank you very much for taking the time and leaving this review for our restaurant.
While, on one side, I am very proud to hear that we have been able to set a benchmark for you in terms of flavor of beef, on the other side, I am very disappointed to hear that we have let you down in regards to appetizers and the overall value experience.
Our goal always is to make the dining experience in our restaurant as memorable as possible, starting from the entrance until the moment you have left our hotel. I hope I will get another chance to straighten out these negative impressions and give you a 100% perfect experience.

Please do not hesitate do contact me directly through my email andreas.block@fairmont.com if you would like to make a reservation for a future visit.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I went there just the 2days before as per the the rank of the restaurant on TA. Very easily found, location very center of the CBD, on 2nd floor of a above 4 star hotel.
The environment is just ok, nothing particular, decor not attractive, background music was on and off periodically.
Would present the review in a simple way.
Positive:1.The meats of the steaks were really good, yummy tastes, cooked nicely.
2.The wine selection is very limited but the wine was not bad.
3.Our order was served quickly enough.

Weakness:1. The side dishes, pre dishes and the bread are not as good as expected especially consider the price, even though they were included in the steak price and still beyond the standard of a top steak house supposed to be.
2. Service not good or not meet the high end standard, staff not welcoming, polite but not caring, two of them have bad mouth smell when talking, really annoying when you smell that before dinner, OMG.
3.Always have to look for them or signal them to come when you need something, the guests sitting two tables away from us were also complaining this kind of careless.
4.Dessert was just a kind of showcase, tastes plain and expensive.
5.Never seen any front manager or the chef come to ask for the food or service quality, we were the second table when arrived. It was about 7pm, only one staff showed to service. None of the foreign chefs were seen. You just come, order, eat and go.
Overall, not a pleasant dinner experience, but the steak were fine. Expensive but not worthy in view of the cold service. Quite dissappointed.

Andreas B, Chef de Cuisine at The Cut, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear JOHNSONLX,

We are deeply disappointed to learn that we have let you down and in many instance missed the opportunity to even meet your expectation. At the same time I truly appreciate your effort to give us your valuable feedback on the specific things where we are defiantly have opportunity to improve. I truly believe that this is an isolated event and doesn’t represent what we do.
I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you in person and would appreciate if you can write back to the following email address with your contact details at your earliest convenience, so that I can get in touch with you.

I look forward to seeing your reply and in the meanwhile if I may be of any assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

andreas.block@fairmont.com

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Went there with my wife Katrina and Chef Andreas Block was an amazing knowledgeable chef that gave us an amazing culinary journey! He talked us through the menu and types of beef and his kitchen team executed our order to our total satisfaction. Andreas went the extra mile and even sold us some steaks and ingredients to take away.... Beijing's Best address for a great steak! We'll be back for more and enjoyed every moment. Thanks you to the great and attentive service staff and the impeccable Chefs team!

Andreas B, Chef de Cuisine at The Cut, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Benjamin,

thank you so mucn for your very kind feedback to your experience in out restaurant. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed not only your "sit-in" experience but also the fact that you could enjoy this excellent quality of beef at home.
The team and I are very much looking forward to have you and your lovely wife Katrina in our restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent buffet and cooked to order, first class service. The décor and environment top. Will come back.

Andreas B, Chef De Cuisine at The Cut, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Lars860,

thank you for recognizing our lunch offerings with your very positive feedback. You will be happy to read that since this week we have extended our award winning steak selection to lunch time as well and are offering attractive 2-3 course business set lunch options every Monday to Friday, except Public Holidays.
We hope to cook for you again very soon.