“A home away from home”

The Classic Courtyard
Ranked #151 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I travel around quite a bit, so I am no stranger to hotels. I have been to Beijing before too, so the Chinese hospitality is not really new to me. But this hotel, I will have to say is a true gem. Never have I had a more welcoming and warm stay. For the first time while traveling I did not feel alone. The owners Miss Jenny and her husband Mr. Manzoor were so friendly that they almost became like family to me. The staff there were also very hospitable and welcoming. Everything about the hotel radiated love and warmth that is quite unexpected in a commercial hotel. The rooms were so snug and cozy that I spent a great deal of my trip lazing around in bed. I truly felt like I was at home.
Next time I am in Beijing, I know were I'll be staying.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Classic Courtyard

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed there for one week in June 2012. This hotel is a hidden treasure. It's a small hotel located in a Beijing hutong, surrounded by little chinese shops and restaurants, where you can experience the real Beijing life. It is very close to the metro station 'Hepingmen', from where you can reach the city center and all the important sightseeings easily and quickly. The rooms are very nice, furnished in a chinese style, very clean, with air-conditioning and a separate bathroom, TV and everything you would get in a 'western style' hotel, without any water problems or other typical problems. There is a little 'courtyard' there, where you can meet the owner, Jenny, or her family members. I especially appreciate the family approach I experienced there. In fact, after an exhausting day, I was always looking forward to come back to the hotel having a feeling like I had my own chinese family there. Jenny's mother, despite speaking no english, was always helpful, capable of handling all the important stuff, cooking for herself there and letting me taste a lot of classic chinese food. Kind of a chinese mother. She even packed a bag full of vegetables, snacks, water, juice, eggs, when I was having the early morning trip to the Great Wall.

Jenny, the owner, is extremely friendly and helpful, speaks a decent english and was able to arrange everything, including the tickets for a kung fu performace, arranging the Great Wall trip of my choice (Sinatai, which I strongly recommend), or a cheap taxi to the airport. I spent several evenings having a nice chatter with her in the hotel lobby. As pure Beijinger, she can answer every question related to the city and surroundings, which is also very helpful.

You will definitely not experience like the 'western style' hotel there, with a classic reception, busy receptionists, telephones, elevators and a factory-like feeling. I got this in Holiday Inn the first week I stayed in Beijing, payed the triple price and I did not especially enjoy it. What you can get there, is a affordable, clean and authentic Beijing experience with an extremely cordial atmosphere. Truly, I got there the Beijing, as I imagined it. I definitely recommend the Classic Courtyard!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Stefan H
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here twice. We booked the same thing on Booking.com and paid the same price both times. The 1st time was downstairs and we had 2 single beds. The room was a bit rundown but certainly worth the money. The 2nd time we stayed was upstairs with a double bed and it was like staying in a different place. It was much cleaner, more comfortable and newer. If you can get an upstairs room you are styling. The location of the Inn is perfect. It is between 2 metro stops and by the Lama Temple and Ghost Street.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room upstairs!
Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is our first time in Beijing. We order limo service from airport to classic courtyard. Onetime they pick us up from Beijing capital airport. On the way guide told us about Beijing interesting area and culture. We felt very comfortable because she is very friendly and helpfully girl. When we arrived at classic courtyard the gave us very warm welcome, welcome drink and at room fruits.. Everyday we got complimentary fruits, tea, coffee. Owner is very skill and professional about hotel. This is very small courtyard like home stay. I saw every guest there very happy and friendly with owner. Every night we learn lots of things from owner. We booked great wall, summer place, hutong tour from classic courtyard. Price is very good and service is excellent. We really happy and enjoy our stay at classic courtyard.

Room Tip: Deluxe double with bathtub
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Alyvia009
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Jenny the owner, and Xiao the manager made me very welcome. This is more like a bed and breakfast than a regular hotel. Great location near the Forbidden city and close to subway, restaurants and transportation. The rooms are a little snug but ok for the price paid. Nice friendly atmosphere and staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Great dumpling restaurant nearby.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank timandespen
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We came to Beijing for business and our company booked for us big luxury hotel.
We stay at Classic Courtyard only two nights with romantic escape package. One of my friend recommened us stay there and celebrate my birthday. This is very quite and small hotel runned by chinese owner. As per my package we got wine, flower, chocolate and extra fruits.
We also got complimentary small dinner from owner. Room is not very big but good size,Clean and comfortable. Bathroom is nice and power hotwater. Only two minuts walking to main road there very easy can find taxi. Around there lots of chinese restaurent. We booked kungfu show from hotel. From hotel very near that theatre and they got from us very cheap price for ticket.
We very enjoy our stay like a family. Next december we again sat at Classic Courtyard with our childern.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Utthana N
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in Candy Inn and it was a great stay! We had a room in the upper floor, which was new and clean! bathroom is big, they provide towels, shampoo, toothbrush,...
my boyfriend didn't like the smell of the room but that's completely normal in the hutongs and I wasn't bothered by it. the staff is very nice and helps you with everything. the location is great to go everywhere and stroll around. loved it!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple