“Choose carefully”

Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Choose carefully”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Fairy Su is on the same street as the lama temple so very easy to find. The place is rather lacking in ambiance - we were on the ground floor and there were not many people there at all. There is a second floor which may have more ambiance but according to the concierge who booked for us, you have to pay extra service charge if you choose to eat here - the restaurant website says reservations are required but the place was empty when we arrived.

We chose 4 dishes between us and 3 of the 4 were cold which was a bit of a disappointment. There were a lot of mock meat dishes but plenty of vegetable dishes on offer as well. Was ok, but would recommend crossing the road to the Confucius temple and eating at Xu Xiang Zhai instead.

• Visited July 2012

Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
“OK, Good Experiance but atmosphere a bit flat”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

You probably won’t be disappointed, but on the other hand, it is not the most memorable place. The food was good and the service OK. If you are in Beijing for a while give it a go, but if you only have one night, you might want to try other options.

• Visited July 2012
Pune, India
“party of 24”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I gave a party to my office colleagues in this restaurant in mid-June 2012. We ordered a wide variety of food items, whose names I cannot recall! My family and I are vegetarians from India. We found the food interesting. All the Chinese colleagues (both men and women) seem to have
enjoyed the meal. The ambiance is good, but I thought that the one opposite Confuscious temple was better as well as slightly more pricey. The average cost came out to 70 Yuan. I will say that it is an OK restaurant, not extraordinary.

• Visited June 2012
Miami, Florida, United States
“Lunch after visiting nearby Temples”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

After visiting the nearby Lama Temple and Confucius Temple, this is an easy to find place for safe vegetarian food. I visited this restaurant often. If you are coming from the Lonhegong metro train station, it is just past the Lama Temple (about 1 block). The menu is in both Chinese and English, whith photos to help you figure out what you are ordering. As a vegetarian, I don't understand why they use the mock meat names for the food, but that's the way every vegetarian restaurant seems to do it in Beijing. Many times I won't try an item just because of the meat name, although it is pure vegetarian. A Buddhist monk from the nearby temple was eating in the booth next to me so I assume this was safe vegetarian. I really liked eating here.

• Visited June 2012
Beijing
“OK but easy to do better in Beijing”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We checked out Fairy Su for dinner one night recently.

Service was ok - the waitress was a bit pushy and tried too hard to upsell us. She could speak a little English, which was fine, but it took her a while to realise that we preferred Chinese (esp my dining partner, who IS Chinese). Things went more smoothly after that.

The food? Well, it was average, a bit salty (the mapo tofu especially), and both of us felt a bit quesy afterwards. The "small" beef steak thing really was small - it had only 2 pieces of mock beef each about the size of a credit card, yet it was up in the 20 kuai range. The sweet/sour "pork" was around the same price for a full-sized dish. We didn't try the drinks despite the waitress' sterling upselling efforts.

You can do a lot worse than this in Beijing, but I think you can do better too. I think they trade effectively on their location right next to the Lama Temple.

I can only give Fairy Su an "average" rating. I doubt I would return.

• Visited September 2011