“Lunch after visiting nearby Temples”
Review of Fairy Su

Fairy Su
Ranked #1,259 of 12,890 Restaurants in Beijing
Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Reviewed June 11, 2012

After visiting the nearby Lama Temple and Confucius Temple, this is an easy to find place for safe vegetarian food. I visited this restaurant often. If you are coming from the Lonhegong metro train station, it is just past the Lama Temple (about 1 block). The menu is in both Chinese and English, whith photos to help you figure out what you are ordering. As a vegetarian, I don't understand why they use the mock meat names for the food, but that's the way every vegetarian restaurant seems to do it in Beijing. Many times I won't try an item just because of the meat name, although it is pure vegetarian. A Buddhist monk from the nearby temple was eating in the booth next to me so I assume this was safe vegetarian. I really liked eating here.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

We checked out Fairy Su for dinner one night recently.

Service was ok - the waitress was a bit pushy and tried too hard to upsell us. She could speak a little English, which was fine, but it took her a while to realise that we preferred Chinese (esp my dining partner, who IS Chinese). Things went more smoothly after that.

The food? Well, it was average, a bit salty (the mapo tofu especially), and both of us felt a bit quesy afterwards. The "small" beef steak thing really was small - it had only 2 pieces of mock beef each about the size of a credit card, yet it was up in the 20 kuai range. The sweet/sour "pork" was around the same price for a full-sized dish. We didn't try the drinks despite the waitress' sterling upselling efforts.

You can do a lot worse than this in Beijing, but I think you can do better too. I think they trade effectively on their location right next to the Lama Temple.

I can only give Fairy Su an "average" rating. I doubt I would return.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

As a vegetarian, it was difficult if not impossible to find cuisine that suited our needs, especially with the language barrier. At Fairy Su, I had no problem. EVerything on the menu was vegetarian (they had a lot of fakey meats too) so we were finally able to sit down somewhere and pig out. We ate here three times during the two week stay we had, and I would reccommend the spinach and pine nuts, the spicy green beans, the cucumber with sauce, the noodles with oyster sauce, and the sweet and sour "pork".

They also have fresh fruit for smoothies and fruit juices. Yum!

Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a lovely vegetarian restaurant. Everything was tasty, well presented and affordable. Service was friendly and the decor was good. I enjoyed the fried rice and they also have wonderful fresh fruit drinks. I think you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Don't miss this place!!!

Been to Fairy Su? Share your experiences!