1 star for the view and design - it is pretty
That's largely the only positve - and since we were going to see the great wall anyway, I regret being sucked in by the photographs of the view.
wanted a luxury experince for my parents
Reasons I chose this place.
- The spa pool (romantic but private - japenese onsen like experience was what I envisaged) not available - full wood - see picture
- The price an amenties suggested a high-end experience - nothing could be farther from the truth
- The 'wheelchair access' since my mother can walk around but has a knee injury so has to take it slow and going down hill is a proble
MOST THE AMENTIES LISTED HERE DO NOT EXIST, Namely:
- Bar/lounge - there is a freezing restaurant - definitely not wheelchair accessible (I was shivering in the down jacket I wore o the great wall) that serves only chinese food at 3 x regular prices even for a mid end restaurant in Beijing/at a tourist location.
- Shuttle bus service - non existent - when I asked what would therefore be the best way to the wall - the answer (in Chinese- No English spoken) was 'don't you have a car'
- Swimming pool - really?
- Fitness Centre - I must have missed this
- Free high speed internet - Well internet exist but the connection was so poor I couldn't upload a picture before my laptop gave up
- Room service - I did get a knock at 5:15pm saying - 'when are you eating because the kitchen is closing'
-Suites - well I had nbooked the most expensive room - it wasn't a suite maybe they're referring to the villa for rent?
None of the small details you would expect for this price were available (I won't list here) - even the fundamentals weren't. I had to search for the reception and receptionist who took one look at the booking confirmation and said (in Chinese) 'how am i supposed o understand this - it's in English' so I stayed and helped translate the passport dates - I have travelled enough in China not to expect too much - but at these prices reading the dates on a passport should be a minimum.
The manager outright lied about the cost of simple things like getting a car to huairou - it was a perfect case of trying to rip people off unnecessarily particularly given everything else
I understand we went in low season - but I booked well in advance, there was plenty of time to contact us and let us know if something were unavailable - or at the least offer a discount for the non-existent amenties. On the contrary they tried to take advantage in every possible way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Home of the Great WallThe Ideal Holiday House for your stay at the Mutianyu Great WallDo you want to give a special vacation?Would you like to find retreats in the fresh air and skies at the Mutianyu Great Wall?Are you planning to celebrate a special occasion?Do you want to make your meeting more relaxed?Come to Home of the Great Wall, it’s created to fulfill upscale travelers expectation for a comfortable Great Wall view home, surrounded by natural Great Wall views, where the staff are always respond promptly and discreetly to meet everything the guests need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, HostelWorld and TripOnline SA so you can book your Home of the Great Wall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.