“Brewing up a storm”

and up
Dinner and Hutong Nightlife Tour with Dali Courtyard, Great Leap Brewing
Ranked #2 of 62 Nightlife in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: The brewery that started Beijing's craft beer revolution in 2010 is still pouring some of the best beer around. With as many as 20 beers on tap, and rarely fewer than 17, we've got the largest selection of locally brewed beer on tap in town, nothing in bottles, nothing shipped from across the ocean, just pure, fresh beer. While we don't have food available, we have menus from many of our neighboring restaurants and can help you order great food like pizza, dumplings, kebabs, or simple Chinese food.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Eventually and luckily stumbled upon this brewery pub deep within a Beijing hutong on our recent trip. Wow it's hard to find, you feel like the guys in The Beach who have to jump off a cliff and trawl through jungle with only belief that their paradise is waiting. Here it was. I've been getting into my quality beer recently, working my way through the finest IPA's, trappist brews and so forth. Must say that The Great Leap has some of the most wonderful beers I have ever tasted. Creamy deep stouts (one with chai massala), kolsch lagers, best of all a honey and Sichuan pepper IPA (I think). Had a lovely chat with the brewmaster who has exactly the right attitude. He posseses the skill to make fine beers but obviously does it with a smile and a touch of creativity. This place is an absolute gem with beers which should be winning awards.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I found out about this place when I was researching my trip to China. I am always into trying out local brews, I am somewhere between a beer fan and a beer snob; I'm into good beer and always want to broaden my palate, but I'd never say no to a sixer of the cheap stuff either.

It is hard to find, we ended up asking several Hutong residents where to find it, most had heard of it, but only one (who looked like he enjoyed drinking beer) was able to give us good enough directions.

The atmosphere was great, nice courtyard with heat lamps, which came in handy as it was December. Inside was great too, had a dive-esque taproom feel to it. Went there twice, once was dead empty except for us (sunday night) and on a thursday it was hopping with expats. Run by an American guy (if I am not mistaken). Good place to chat with English speakers, many of who have lived in the area for sometime and can give you advice. My Chinese-American travel partner joked that I (of European decent) managed to find the whitest place in Beijing.

There is a good muslim-chinese restaurant nearby which delivers there. It was seriously one of my favorite meals in China, can't remember the name, but the bar tender should know. Marinated meats.

As far as the beer is concerned. It was good, not great. I'm from California which is pretty much microbrew heaven. But if you are looking for something other than tsingtao and the like, then this is the place to go. Keep in mind you will be paying pretty standard microbrew prices. Taster sets are available. I recommend the Little General IPA and Hop God120.

1  Thank Finngelino
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stumbled across this place while browsing tripadvisor, gave it a shot. Totally worth the effort in finding it. It actually took me 1hr 45 minutes to get here from Tiamen square, worth it. Numerous serious brews on tap, IPA, Stout, reds, etc. Pints cost 25-50RMB. Food can be ordered in and the toilet is just across the street. Numerous expats there and the bartender was American. To find this place, go to their webpage, save the map, and suspend disbelief. In my case, alone, ( soon to be) drunk, walking through darkened alleys of a city whose language I don't speak, what could possibly go wrong? An adventure just getting there. Worse, the only sign " Great Leap Brewing" is on the inside of the courtyard. Enjoy!

1  Thank tjbudda
Reviewed October 25, 2012

At the end of a bike tour was the stop at Great Leap Brewing. Great beer with lots of friends. The IPA 6 was a delight and so was Little General. There was a wide selection including banana and pumpkin-flavored brews. We had a great time and would have liked to stay longer. The first Beijing Brew Festival shirts were going for 40RMB. Food is delivered if you asked and Hutong Pizza was the favorite. Hours are late but for large groups they will open early. We definitely will be back!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you can follow a map you should be able to find this place, and it's worth the effort. Unlike so many Beijing drinking spots, there's no loud obnoxious pop music blaring at you. Instead it's a cool quiet (other than the sound of conversation) hutong courtyard. What better atmosphere could there be for a brewpub? You can order delivery from nearby restaurants, and the beer itself is excellent. You'll like the beer if you're into flavourful American-style craft beer. We went back here every night it was open while we were in Beijing, so I tried every beer they had. Friendly staff, great beer, cool atmosphere--a great rarity in China. Highly recommended.