“Awesome unique experience!”
Review of ChinaHiking

ChinaHiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Wall Hiking, Great Wall camping, Great wall trekking tours in Beijing. We also organise specialised adventure trips to the most scenic area's in China
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome unique experience!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fred and Heidi run a great hiking and camping trip. I have worked in the travel industry for over 10 years and can thoroughly recommend them.
The experience of hiking and then staying overnight on the Wall was truly spectacular. I have been to the Great Wall many times before, but this was my best experience.
In this world of travelling there ain't too many stories you can truly go home and brag about, because someone has always been there before. However, camping on the Wall has made my travel colleauges very jealous.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
China
“It is a amazing trip on the Great Wall.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

It's a wonderful experience that I have never had. I went to Wohushan with Fred and Heidi. They are very friendly to me. They prepared food, equipment and water. And we also went to the traditional family to eat lunch. I like the food what they made. It's a different experience.We spent happy times when we camping. The sky at night is very beautiful. It seldom to see on city . The next morning, when I got up, I saw the fog everywhere. Even I can't see the mountain. I can only see the tents. It's a amazing scenery. It left a deep impression on me. I really like the natural sceneys on the Great Wall. Fred and Heidi are a very good guides for hiking.
If you want to experience different hiking in Beijing. I suggest you choose Dandelion Hiking.

Visited October 2012
Beijing, Beijing, China
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“This is the Great Wall you want to see”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Fred and Heidi put together a truly unique experience. A handful of close friends and I spent the day hiking with our gracious hosts and guides through the unrestored sections of the wall near Gubeikou, a world away from the tourist traps of Badaling and Mutianyu. While we hiked for hours, we barely saw another soul. We camped for the night, enjoying the wall to ourselves. Although I've lived in China for 4 years, this trip will surely stand out among the most unforgettable memories I have of the country.

Sydney Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“UNBELIEVABLE - This trip is Gold!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just back in Sydney after a wonderful 3 day experience with Fred and Heidi during a 2 week trip to China. We organised a private trip for our family reunion for 14 people of different ages and levels of fitness flying in from different parts of the World.

Fred and Heidi were fantastic. A real highlight of our trip to China was experiencing the Great Wall without all the tourists. It was all the little things that made this trip really memorable; tailoring to our needs, being flexible and responding when my niece developed an infection in her leg, packing us coffee for the morning, extending our stay at the hot springs because we were enjoying it so much, ordering additional food for our fussy younger children, taking photos with minimal fuss and supporting local villages and people.

Customer service at it's best, without the intrusion, inflated prices or usual dramas that can be associated with travel. Fred and Heidi are such calm and respectful tour guides. Nothing was a problem even when at the last minute we had to search for walking shoes for my 10 year old son before setting off. Food was absolutely brilliant with lots of variety and flavour.

Thanks so much Fred and Heidi you really made this a special holiday for us!! Highly recommended for anyone wanting to "experience" the Great Wall and not just look at it. What a great little business you have created wishing you both every happiness and success :)

Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful yet thrilling experience for a first timer”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

With great determination, I embarked on my fist hiking/camping virgin trip with Fred, Heidi and a bunch of lovely nature lovers.

The weather was wonderful, at least during day time, and the road less travelled has proven to be much more breathtaking. Hidden away from dreadful tourists and coaches, the unrestored Great Wall revealed her genuine beauty eventually while we were climbing towards the mountain ridge. As we walked along the meandering mountain ridge, on which the Ming Great Wall was built, I was completely mesmerised by the sheer grandeur of this ancient structure.

The hike has proven to be manageable and Fred paced the whole trip very well, so nobody was left behind. We also had several stop points as we marched towards the camping ground. This gave us ample time to appreciate the magnificent view, so we never felt been rushed.

The most exciting and thrilling experience for me during the trip was definitely the unexpected fast-approaching thunderstorm at dusk. Being an inexperienced hiker, I was getting anxious as the wind starting to pick up. However, my lovely fellow hikers and Fred gave me a lot of help in setting up the tent quickly. Fred even asked me and another single hiker to move into his tent, staying inside until the thunderstorm had passed. Fred's professional knowledge, sensible decision, clear instruction and swift action ensured our safety in that rare and horrendous weather condition.

In general, I have absolutely fallen in love with hiking/camping and wonder why I didn't start doing it earlier? I will totally recommend my friends to join any hiking/camping trip conducted by Fred and Heidi.