“Good when you are tired of exotic fare”

BeiJing BiDe XiCan (International Club)
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beijing Railway Station / Jianguomen
Description: Peter's Tex-Mex Grill 北京市朝阳区建国门外大街21号, China +86 10 8532 2449 ‎
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had a fantastic breakfast here, made to order, with huge portions. It appears to be frequented by expats and the atmosphere is very simple. The service was a bit slow, but to be fair, the restaurant was packed the morning that we went there. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Pete's provides a lovely atmosphere to just relax a bit and enjoy some tex-mex (or other western food) and a creamy milkshake. Staff are friendly and there's something on the menu for everyone. (For veggie lovers, the grilled veggies are quite nice.) Note, milkshakes are a bit pricey, but you can ask the staff to split them into two glasses.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I'm from Texas so I know TexMex. I also live in China so I know Chinese versions of Western food. This place has gone above and beyond their ability to make great TexMex. Their Chicken Enchiladas taste like real TexMex. Their homemade salsa is great as are their chips. My brother who just recently visited me fresh out of Texas even said their TexMex flavors were great. It's worth the trip and money, especially if you live in China. One thing to note: not all TexMex restaurants are equal in taste or value. But for general TexMex flavor, Peter's have gotten it right. Now, if they would only open one up in Xi'An!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is one of those "when you're really homesick" kind of places; if you can't go another day without some Tex Mex then this is worth checking out. All the Tex Mex basics -- burritos, fajitas, enchilada, chips and guacamole, etc. Mexican kitsch decor (the kind you see in California or Texas but would never actually see in Mexico, except in a tourist restaurant).

Food ranged from passable to very good -- my enchiladas were covered with a bizarrely orange-ish sauce but they were quite good. One of my dining companions had vegetable fajitas that looked like Chinese stir fry and another had chimichangas that looked like big pan-fried Cantonese dumplings. Good cold Corona, but our party of 6 emptied the restaurants supply after two rounds.

Restaurant has an odd range of non-Tex Mex items (kabobs, burgers, pasta, etc.); not sure why you would order that but I guess those items are for non Tex-Mex fans who wander into the place.

Definitely worth going a couple of times a year when you need a fix.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We had enjoyable lunch in a Western atmosphere, with very good service but if you are from the SW USA, the food is not Tex Mex. I had the chimichanga and my wife the enchiladas. If this is the best Tex-Mex in China, then it's the last time I am eating Tex-Mex here.