“authentic experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #69 of 6,445 Hotels in Beijing
Lyon, France
“authentic experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I visited Beijing over 10 times in last 2 years for short business trips and tried over 30 different kinds of hotels before: newly built international business hotels, older style hotels, hotels with 100% local customers, cheaper ones, international chain hotels...This time, I had invited a customer for 2 days in Beijing and was looking for an authentic Beijing experience: this was a perfect choice. 1. it is located in the middle of a hutong - old beijing small houses, and its architecture well integrated with the surroundings 2. The decoration, with the theme of Shadow Art and is simply perfect. 3.It is walking distance from restaurants and bars.
However, the place is not convenient for taxis, the breakfast is simple (not buffet type), the staff is not experienced but very friendly.
Looking for authentic experience: ask for a room with a window on the patio, go for dinner in the nearby restaurants on the lakes, when you are in a taxi, give a call to the hotel to guide the driver and be patient...

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window (some dont have any) on the patio
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

If you read my earlier review, this is an update to let you know what happened after we complained.

First, I emailed Expedia to let them know of our concerns. They sent a nice reply apologising for the hotel's faults and said they had been trying to contact the manager but she was not available.

I asked to speak to the manager on several occassions and was told she would contact me when she came in to the building. This never happened. So I called the front desk again and was told I should call the manager myself. This would have been easy of the room telephone worked, but it had been blocked. So I asked the reception staff to call her and get her to call me back.

This eventually happened and I explained all the problems we had experienced:

No room reserved for us when we arrived despite a confirmation from the hotel
Arguments over the room booked
Flies, spiders, mosquitoes everywhere
Blocked drain in the shower
No breakfast buffet
No wifi
No desk
No morning newspaper

The manager, Samantha Fang, apologised and asked what she could do. I asked for one night's refund (we had already paid for six nights) and she agreed to contact Expedia to arrange this.

On the morning of departure, the hotel could not refund me the 300 RMB deposit that they had demanded via credit card when we checked in. There ''appeared'' to be a problem at the bank or credit card company. I asked for the refund in cash and was told this was not possible. So again, a phone call to Samantha produced another deeply sincere apology and a promise that it would all be resolved the next day. I will find out at the end of the month if my card has been charged.

So there you have it, a rip-off hotel, ripping off its customers at the last possible moment. In Part 3 of this review I will let you know if I get my money back and if I receive the one night's refund. In the meanwhile, I will write to the Beijing Tourist Authority.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank stephencohen
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

First, on arriving here, the reception staff claimed to have not received my booking that was made with Expedia two months earlier. They then said there was no double bed available and that the hotel was full. We accepted a tiny twin-bedded room, but discovered a much bigger empty room along the corridor. We asked to be moved into that one and were told it was occupied. This was clearly a lie, because there was nothing in the cupboards or closets and there was no sign of any human habitation. After 20 minutes of discussion, we moved into this room and quickly discovered there were other things living there!

Flies, spiders and mosquitos were running riot in the bathroom. I killed 20 flies and asked for some spray to control the rest. I was told that a spray was bad for the air. In Beijing, the air pollution is so bad you are lucky if you can see across the street, so I do not think a fly spray is going to make much difference.

On the 5th day after our manual efforts every morning and evening to control the insects had failed, I insisted that something should be done. We were given a mosquito repellant machine and some smoking coil which made the room smell like a barbeque. The next morning the pesky critters were still there - neither device had worked. The mosquito bite on my hand had now swollen alarmingly.

The booking was for a room with breakfast buffet and free wifi. The wireless router was broken and there was no wifi in the hotel. There was also no breakfast buffet. We got coffee without being asked if we wanted it - neither of us can drink it, and the tea took 20 more minutes to arrive.

There was no hot water in the bathroom on one morning.

The bedroom floor was not vacuumed once during our 6 night stay; chewing gum was stuck there and hair, dead flies and bits of tissue paper were left untouched. The airconditioning unit in the bathroom could not be adjusted - there was a permanent icy blast blowing in which made the bathroom very uncomfortable.

The shower drain was blocked which meant that, when there was hot water, we stood in an ankle deep soup with dead flies, spiders and mosquitoes floating about.

There were no hooks in the bathroom to hang towels or bathrobes. Shampoo was not replaced. The toilet roll was arranged so that it was accessed through a hole in a cupboard door - all very strange.

The hotel says the rooms have a washer-drier. This is untrue. I could not find a washer drier in either of the 2 rooms we saw. There is no desk in the room and no daily newspaper either.

Only one member of staff can speak English. Dealing with the rest is impossible if you cannot speak Mandarin or Cantonese. And even if you can speak Chinese, it won't do you any good - my Chinese partner was just fobbed off all the time.

I booked a private tour to the Great Wall of China with an English speaking driver. When he rang the hotel to confirm the time of the pickup, he was told that I was not staying there! And the front desk staff lost his phone number.

So now we are waiting for hot water, fly killer, and the manager. I will keep you updated, but for the moment, I suggest you look somewhere else for a hotel in the Chinese capital.

Room Tip: book another hotel instead
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janarobbie
SHADOWART, Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving us the comment about your stay.
We feel very sad to learn the problems you've pointed out while staying in our hotel.
We've already checked all the problems that you've mentioned, we appreciate your advices and such, and we've already mended to solve the problems. We appreciate your help.
We've been trying hard to launch the business just three months ago, and to cater to international customers. So we feel very very sad that you're not having a good time here. We will try harder to make things better in the future and stick to our vision to bring more comfortable environment and better services to the travellers.
We humbly take all of your advices. And changed things that are not perfect enough in the hotel. And we will do our best to serve. Thank you so much for your advices.

Sincerely yours,
tokyo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my daughter this summer, because the rating of this hotel was awesome. However I recommend you to avoid this hotel for the following reasons:
- Reservation system not working. Although I reserved a room through Agoda for "superior suite", but was allocated a single room! The room was very small and I asked them to allocate a room with 2 beds -- and was allocated a standard room with no window!!
- I was asked to sit in a very dark place for breakfast, and when I requested to eat breakfast in the sunny lobby, they refused to do so because the carpat may be stained. 10 minutes later, the other group take seats in the sunny lobby and eat breakfast!
- Although I reserved for 2 nights through Agoda, they said that I have to move to the other hotel for the second night. I could not understand why the other party have priority over our stay!!
- We reserved a western style breakfast beforehand, but next morning, the prepared one was chinese style one and the waither said, "As we have already cooked this, you should take this."
WHAT A HELL THIS IS!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank hanachanTokyo
Dear guest,

We feel very sorry that you've incountered the problems you've indicated during your stay at the hotel.
We wish we could have learned your discomforts during your stay, so that we could do things for you to make you have a pleasant stay in the hotel.
I'm writing to apologize for the things you didn't like and thank your for correcting us the things that are not perfect.
There are things we've already mended after your advices, including the lighting for breakfast area, also the breakfast.
We've been trying hard to launch the business just three months ago, and to cater to international customers. So we feel very very sad that you're not having a good time here. We will try harder to make things better in the future. We thank you for your advices and comments with our whole hearts. So that this give us an opportunity to grow.

Thank you so much!

Best Regards,
Taipei,Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I had been to Beijing, China for business several times . In June , I decided to choose
this new hotel enjoying the Hutong lifestyle with my girlfriend. We were impressed not only by the new modern decoration , but with the well-trained staff.

In the morning , we had nice breakfast with leisurely and carefree feelings .
In the afternoon, the staff helped us with nice sightseeing spots and taxi transfers.
in the evening , My girlfriend likes the Shadow Art Performance a lot .
She also participated in the plays in the lobby.

We had a very pleasant stay in Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, and wish we'll back soon.

Room Tip: Playing the Shadow Art Performance by yourself
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
feng y, Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at Shadow Art performance Hotel and really appreciate your wonderful comments and recognition towards our valued staff.
It is such great news to hear that you will consider coming back to Shadow Art performance Hotel.
You will be definitely most welcomed by all of us.
Should you need assistance from our side, please do not hesitate to contact us on our email. Namely, shadowarthotel@shichahaitour.com

Best regards,
Christine Lu
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

I like the bronze sculpture at the front desk.
I like the perfomance of shadow art in the evening.
I like the 炕床 of room decoration.
I like traditional breakfast served in the morning.
A wonderful experience of staying, we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank aimeejones
Taichung, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

Fantastic "chinese shadow art" lounge - library and theater. combine the traditional art with modern design.
I stay here in late April when the hotel was just opened, it was not so profect in many details especially service. But I am sure there are enthusiasm, comforts and cultural property. I believe it will be better and better.
The rooms are small but cozy, I spent most time at the lounge and restaurant, which are comfortable. The location are traditional Hutong area, just 5 min walk to Houhai, at night the lake side is beautiful and you can see the real local live images.

Room Tip: stay longer, try to ask for upgrade
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo