“Terrible steak”

Grange Grill (The Westin Beijing Chaoyang)
Ranked #95 of 12,856 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Yansha
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We are from Cincinnati which has the Ruby steakhouses which are all superb with great meat, service, ambience. We wanted to celebrate a birthday with a great steak. What a huge disappointment. We spent about seven hundred dollars for four crummy steaks. The prawns were good. The wine list had hyper expense account prices. The service is good but I must say after paying that kind of money, when my family member asked for another ice tea after paying the bill, the waitress told him that will be extra sir. $700 dollars and the cheap restaurant could not comp him an ice tea?? It is good for Americans to remember that in Beijing they charge you for every glass of ice tea! Stay away from this place unless your boss is paying for it. It is a good looking place. Too bad the beef is bad.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went here for dinner and it was delicious. The chowder in a bread bowl was delicious as was my steak! The service was OK - nothing spectacular, certainly no comparison to Brasserie Flo or Temple. I was going to give this a five star rating bt then I think the service took the edge off a little - it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't great.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We dined here recently and truly enjoyed the steak. However, this is where all the positives end. The restaurant is a rather strange shape and seems very open and lacks any atmosphere. This may also be because it was practically empty on the night that we ate there. The real focus in this restaurant is understandably the steaks, meaning that our starters and desserts were really uninspiring despite the high price-tag. Service was poor - our mains were not all brought at the same time, meaning we were unable to enjoy our meals together. They didn't have some of the mustard flavours that we asked for. The waitstaff was not very enthused and requests were met with a sullen attitude. Not good when you're expected to pay a 15% service charge! Upon paying, we were asked for our thoughts on the evening and were told that they would be passed on to the relevant people. You would think that a brand like the Westin might actually have the initiative to follow up on people's views and comments and contact their guests to follow up - however, this is obviously not the case at this restaurant. We won't be returning.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Disclaimer: I went to Grange Grill with 3 other diners on a 'Beijing Restaurant Week' special, fixed RMB248 menu.

SERVICE: Service among most (but not all) of the front of house, was worthy of the hotel's 5 star rating. The manager of the front of house truly went above and beyond the call of duty to serve (details below), impress and make us feel at home.

AMBIENCE: Again, ambience was in keeping with the hotel's 5 star rating. Tastefully decorated, with the lighting and temperature set just so. Our table was meticulously set on seating, the cutlery heavy and well weighted. My only gripe was that the 'Grange Grill' didn't have as much of a 'Grill restaurant' feel as I'd like (a brick walled, watering hole type of feel), but perhaps that wouldn't be keeping in with the hotel setting of the restaurant.

KITCHEN & FOOD: Ultimately, as a diner, my impression of a restaurant is dictated by the food, and this is where things start to fall apart for the Grange Grill.
Starter: My salad starter of seared Ahi Tuna and Quail egg, while edible, was served on a bed of iceberg lettuce (the cheapest, possibly least photo-worthy salad leaf) and simply looked, cheap.
Mains: I went for the Grilled Qingdao Beef Tenderloin, cooked medium rare, was undersalted, underpeppered and came out unevenly cooked - medium on one half and medium rare on the other. The best adjective I can conjure to describe my main course is: 'edible'. One of diners I was with that evening, who also went for the steak option had hers completely undercooked which she sent back to the kitchen, only to be given another very rare piece of meat. The manager of the front of house noted her displeasure with her mains, and complimentarily offered two massive grilled, tiger prawns. So points to him there, but none for the kitchen unfortunately.
Dessert: Again, like the mains, truly average. My 'Snick-a-Choc' ice cream was nothing particularly special nor disastrous, but how far wrong can you possibly go with ice cream? Actually, come to think of it, I've had better ice cream in a tub purchased from a supermarket. Also, avoid the Raspberry Torte - which an accompanying diner I was with, had - unless you enjoy cough syrup in cake form.

CONCLUSION: Perhaps our experience of the Grange Grill was tainted by the cut-price, RMB248 menu. But unless the food on the 'regular' menu is truly leaps and bounds better than what was served up to us that evening (and I really mean, better in the order of multiples), I can't see myself going back to Grange Grill anytime soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Been there twice. The first time gave a feeling at it is not as good as Steak Exchange, but the second time let me feel that it is better.
The place is comfy and cozy. The food is top-notch. The steak is the best you can get in town.
Best of all, it accepts Starwood Privilege card to give you half-off for a table of two.

Westin_Chaoyang, Manager at Grange Grill (The Westin Beijing Chaoyang), responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for providing your feedback, we're truely humble to have been marked with a full score. Your comments are really inspiring and motivating for us, and we will work even harder to maintain the food quality and service level.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Wish you and your family a great Chinese New Year!

Best regards,