“Watch out for this place”

Imperial Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #178 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were lured in by the pretty pictures and booked a luxury suite for our 1st wedding anniversary. On the booking for we explained it was for our anniversary and we hoped for a nice room. Instead when we arrived in Beijing we were taken to an over-priced, dirty hostel and told that the Imperial Courtyard was fully booked (despite us having made a reservation on a room there!) The Imperial Courtyard staff were rude, lied on the phone and refused to give us a reasonable price for the sub-standard replacement room. Don't let them ruin your special day.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peter T
There are newer reviews for Imperial Courtyard Hotel

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

You dont have too go far on a night time for some lovely food and a bustling atmosphere in the area.
The subway is less than ten minutes on foot.
Some of the staff could be more friendly......thats the only downside.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great hutong courtyard hotel. If you are happy to be staying in a real Chinese neighbourhood, with real Chinese interactions, and real Chinese local food then this is the place for you. If you want English food, English speaking, English service standards and English interactions then don't stay here.

For us a great place, staff friendly and helpful, especially Zoe and Yolanda. They try their best to understand our English and incomprehensible attempts at Mandarin. The room was clean, tidy, serviced daily, had air conditioning. Breakfast supplied, a Chinese take on an English style breakfast but filling and well cooked.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jafajafa
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in total. Private bathroom and air-con in room (although slightly noisy and not the most effective) it did the job. The hotel staff are very helpful and friendly. The hotel is safe,clean and tidy. The complimentary breakfast was ample to set you up for the day and the free Wi-Fi is very useful indeed. If you are a single traveller looking to meet other like minded travellers I would steer clear. However for couples or people who do not need to meet others and just take in the sights this is great and we would return for sure.

Room Tip: All rooms are courtyard facing so noise can be heard throughout. Go for second floor away from the e...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed for 6 nights in May 2013. Hotel easy to find, in nice surroundings. Loved to walk around the Hutong at night. There is plenty of restaurants and shops (some shops open until 1-2 am)
Hotel itself was OK, I was not expecting Four Seasons for paying under €200 for 6 nights. But in my opinion rooms need to be better soundproofed as you can hear the voices of staff and other guests during the night. Bathroom needs a bit of refreshing (Toilet roll holder was glued to shower cabin and fell off when I closed the shower door).Also there was a problem with the air-con system which was dripping making it impossible to sleep and have it on at the same time- and I mean it was hot! The female staff speak good English but the male receptionist could not understand me when I asked about deposit- which turned out to be 200 RMB. On the plus side nice decor and the fact that you can experience living in a Hutong. Tours can be booked at the reception, however we found it much cheaper and interesting to visit places on our own.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I found this hotel randomly online however it was the best choice I've ever made! The hotel was designed as traditional Chinese style, giving it a sense of how Old Beijing would feel like. My hotel room was small yet very cozy and perfect for one person. The bathroom was clean and they even provided crocs slippers! The staff were amazing and super friendly, especially the girl who worked there in the morning. I had some time to travel in the morning before my flight later that night and she was kind enough to take care of my luggage so I wouldn't have to rush back to check out. The breakfast was really good too, you can choose between western style or Chinese style. I absolutely loved the hotel, even though it was a bit difficult to find. However it is located very close to the subway station. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will for sure come back.

Room Tip: I had a second floor room however it was quiet in the entire hotel so I don't think it matters w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here to get more of our China experience than a fancy western hotel in the modern part of Beijing and it was fantastic!! Staff were great, the rooms clean, and it had lovely hot showers.
It is in the Hotongs, and staying here provides more experience of "China" than any of the tourist stuff you will do. Walking through the narrow lanes on your way to and from your hotel you are more often than not the only westerner among lots of locals getting on with life.
They are generally happy and friendly, and will nod and smile as you go past. We never at any time (even after midnight wandering down darkened lanes with no streelights) felt under threat. As a city it is generally safer than many western cities, with conterfiet 100yn notes being the most common form of theft (shops seem to be pretty good, but taxis drivers seem to be the ones who distribute much of the dodgy currency?
It is nice to be able to buy clothes & shoes etc at Chinese prices in shops where they have little or no english (as opposed to the tourist trap known as the Spice Road Markets where nobody but the silly westeners buys anything - and usually copies or 2nds at highly inflated prices - in that place if you pay more than 40% of the first price you are given you are generally being ripped off - check the not negotiable prices in the Chinese stores and you will see what I mean).
In the area around the hotel there are lots of little family run food outlets with incomprehensible menus and wonderful food (even if it isn't anything like what you thought it might be) - give it a try you will be pleasantly supprised. If not to your taste, there are shopping strips nearby that have minimarts and pizza (if that is what you are looking for when you are in Beijing?).
It is easy to find your way to and from the hotel once you have found the front door (there is a sign above the entrance to the very narrow lane that leads to the front door, but it is smallish and about 15 ft in the air).
It doesn't have the big "all you can eat" type breakfast, but it was certainly adequate and more than I would normally eat and they have real coffee (a proper italian coffee machine and staff who know how to make a good coffee). Rooms were clean, and while the beds weren't western style they were not what I would call "hard bed" and I slept like a baby. Contrary to other reviews I have read, I did have a fridge in my room, and I didn't find downstairs at all noisy.
I thought the rooftop outddor area was delightful and the hotel had a wonderful atmostphere.
Would recommend it for a real look at Beijing (in comfort), rather than the same old same old windows of a large western style hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family