“Great experience!”

Imperial Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #185 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. We wanted something close to the center of Beijing and subway line 1. I've stayed in a couple hotels in Bejing (you can read my reviews on them also), am also an expat, and I really enjoyed this one. The location was great. Even the five minute walk through the small park to the metro was beautiful. The location was a little difficult to find at first, but after that it was a breeze. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Our room and private bathroom was comfortable and clean. Our stay included a breakfast, which was of six choices or you could customize your own. Out of everything my only suggestion is to have earplugs. Any experienced traveler should always keep a set in their bag. The beautiful hutong courtyard architecture can lead itself to echoing of every sound. If you're looking for a great place with character I suggest you try this out!

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked for three nights and then spent one night elsewhere and then returned to a new room. Comfortable, low key hotel with rooms around the central courtyard, glazed overhead for warmth. Shutters and glazing on the rooms enable air and light to come inside the room from the courtyard. First room had a very average bathroom compared to the second room. Bed linen clean, bathrooms clean, complimentary toiletries, tea and tissues. Decor in room no two more stylish than our first room. Typical old style hutong dwelling. We were glad to stay in this area as we mastered the subway and found it simple to travel on. Most of the staff were helpful, especially the morning receptionist and a young man during the evening. We were really dismayed when we inquired about the availability of rooms for the next night and had to ask the evening receptionist to first ring their other hotel and then be told that she could not tell us any other places and the best thing was to go on the internet. Sure, it was our problem, but it would have been helpful to have been given two or three local names and have her call for us. Still, we returned. The breakfasts suited our Western palates, though muesli was fruit yoghurt and about ten cornflakes each serving. The sausages were good, the bacon and eggs acceptable, the cornmeal was actually cornflakes but make sure you also order yoghurt and fruit with it or you will be served a small bowl of dry cornflakes. Tea was well supplied and once we learned to ask for help in the morning we had English words we needed to get us around the city translated into Chinese - and even a tour by subway and taxi organised (it was hard to get cabs and sometimes drivers refused to take us but by then we had learned enough to know when to negotiate and when to accept the answer and when to agree to the acceptance even at a slightly higher price. There were some annoying guests leaving loudly for early moirning tours and we could hear them in the courtyard. Earplugs are a good idea if you are a light sleeper. I am not particulalry, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms along the centre and at the entrance end.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrownDragon
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked this hotel through Agoda after my initial booking with another hotel was cancelled. I believe I got a good rate and good value.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the reception personnel in particular had excellent English skills. Check-in and check-out went smoothly, and they helped book a high-speed train ticket for me to Shanghai. The ticket was delivered to the hotel. They were knowledgeable about the City and the subway system in particular. The room was comfortable, and there were shelves available in the lamp-stand bureau for clothes storage. Like many beds in China, the bed here was hard compared to what I am used to, but manageable. The room did not feature a bar fridge or in-room safe.

As a non-smoker, I was comfortable in this hotel; there is a small segregated smoking area set aside, but the main courtyard which includes the dining area and bar is smoke free.

The interior of the hotel is elegant with its courtyard set up and decoration. The web photos are accurate, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere each day at breakfast in particular. The hotel also has two computer stations available with web-service.

This is a short walk to the 2nd ring-line subway line (Andingmen Station), and I found it a great location for my sight-seeing in Beijing.

Guests should be aware that this is a courtyard hotel, and hence there will at times be noise audible from other guests in the dining area, particularly in the afternoons or evenings. My room was literally right behind the "Spanish Bar" at reception, and I found noise to be a problem on only one evening during my stay.

Breakfast was included and was generally fine, although I tended to substitute sliced tomato for the egg. I particularly enjoyed the coffee, and the receptionist who started her shift at 7 a.m. was particularly adept with the coffee-espresso machine. The restaurant fare is also generally reliable for a meal after a day of touring for those times you don't feel like heading out to the nearby commercial area. Prices are reasonable.

To reach the hotel on foot, take the "A" exit from Andingmen Station and turn right; after you cross the 2nd Ring Road and its exit lanes, you will notice a small park. Andingmen Inner Street continues on the left (going south towards the Forbidden City). Take the park's walk-way on the right and walk parallel to the Ring Road until you reach a street which intersects with the park's lane. Turn left, and this will be Huayuan East Alley. The hotel is listed among the signs at the start of this Hutong. The hotel is down a narrow walkway on the left before the intersection with the next Hutong (Huayuan N Alley), and is indicated by a large red sign. You will have to walk your suitcases down this lane to the hotel.

Overall I was very pleased with this hotel and would book again should I return to Beijing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Barry-of-Toronto
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Everything has been said already about how hard it is to find. All that and more - but I came prepared with both the Hotel's map, AND Google map. (DON'T EVER TRUST GOOGLE MAPS IN CHINA...!!!) Wrong and wrong. In the 5 hours looking for it I discovered a nice dumpling place and two great coffee shops. I rang the staff at the hotel several times and they not much help...even when I had a map of the hutongs. In the end a school kid helped me, but even it took her 2 tel calls. Yes, it is well worth it, very near a metro station and buses. Only 2 storey high - it really is an old hutong building converted into a Hotel. Lots of shops and small cafes nearby. Room small, with windows looking into the enclosed courtyard, so no natural light or ventilation, but OK for the price. Staff friendly, breakfast is entre-sized, but hey, there are lots of little shops in the hutongs around. I just enjoyed chilling out and wandering, so after the blisters healed, I was quite happy.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the top of the stairs - because windows look into the internal courtyard, you get...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

When I saw this Courtyard was awarded by TripAdvisor in 2012 I jump on it.
But honestly I've been disappointed.
The hotel itself is quite good. You'll stay in a real "Chinese atmosphere".
Rooms are comfortable enough even if the bathroom is really basic and without any charm.

Then, this hotel is, for me, not located in the best place in Beijing.
Several taxi refused to drive me there because they didn't know the address.
Even when I took my first taxi from the airport, at least 4 people had to discuss together to finally "guess" the direction to take.

But the worst for me was the staff. Not warm at all, they are making business and that's it !!
Pay, sleep and go away ... don't ask for more !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had read previous reviews stating this place was hard to find, and I definitely had trouble. Firstly, four taxis refused to take me to the address. Eventually I got dropped at andingmen road. Following the map I had was useless, it was incorrect. Anyway, once found it was a pretty cool place to stay. Lots of character, clean, and reliable wifi in room. Bed was soft! Staff were friendly. Meals were pretty good, free breakfast included baked beans, always a win for a vegetarian. Only downfall was that noise carries, and I could hear conversations that were taking place in the courtyard clearly.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a lovely little hotel in a hutong in Beijing. The rooms are very pretty, the staff friendly and it was good value. This was in a great position for walking to the restaurants and bars in the evening. Would recommend this hotel if you want to get away from the highrise hotels and you want a more authentic Beijing experience. Make sure you know where the hotel is located as it took our taxi driver ages to find it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business