“Great Value and Location.”

Imperial Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #178 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked this hotel through Agoda after my initial booking with another hotel was cancelled. I believe I got a good rate and good value.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the reception personnel in particular had excellent English skills. Check-in and check-out went smoothly, and they helped book a high-speed train ticket for me to Shanghai. The ticket was delivered to the hotel. They were knowledgeable about the City and the subway system in particular. The room was comfortable, and there were shelves available in the lamp-stand bureau for clothes storage. Like many beds in China, the bed here was hard compared to what I am used to, but manageable. The room did not feature a bar fridge or in-room safe.

As a non-smoker, I was comfortable in this hotel; there is a small segregated smoking area set aside, but the main courtyard which includes the dining area and bar is smoke free.

The interior of the hotel is elegant with its courtyard set up and decoration. The web photos are accurate, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere each day at breakfast in particular. The hotel also has two computer stations available with web-service.

This is a short walk to the 2nd ring-line subway line (Andingmen Station), and I found it a great location for my sight-seeing in Beijing.

Guests should be aware that this is a courtyard hotel, and hence there will at times be noise audible from other guests in the dining area, particularly in the afternoons or evenings. My room was literally right behind the "Spanish Bar" at reception, and I found noise to be a problem on only one evening during my stay.

Breakfast was included and was generally fine, although I tended to substitute sliced tomato for the egg. I particularly enjoyed the coffee, and the receptionist who started her shift at 7 a.m. was particularly adept with the coffee-espresso machine. The restaurant fare is also generally reliable for a meal after a day of touring for those times you don't feel like heading out to the nearby commercial area. Prices are reasonable.

To reach the hotel on foot, take the "A" exit from Andingmen Station and turn right; after you cross the 2nd Ring Road and its exit lanes, you will notice a small park. Andingmen Inner Street continues on the left (going south towards the Forbidden City). Take the park's walk-way on the right and walk parallel to the Ring Road until you reach a street which intersects with the park's lane. Turn left, and this will be Huayuan East Alley. The hotel is listed among the signs at the start of this Hutong. The hotel is down a narrow walkway on the left before the intersection with the next Hutong (Huayuan N Alley), and is indicated by a large red sign. You will have to walk your suitcases down this lane to the hotel.

Overall I was very pleased with this hotel and would book again should I return to Beijing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Barry-of-Toronto
There are newer reviews for Imperial Courtyard Hotel

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Everything has been said already about how hard it is to find. All that and more - but I came prepared with both the Hotel's map, AND Google map. (DON'T EVER TRUST GOOGLE MAPS IN CHINA...!!!) Wrong and wrong. In the 5 hours looking for it I discovered a nice dumpling place and two great coffee shops. I rang the staff at the hotel several times and they not much help...even when I had a map of the hutongs. In the end a school kid helped me, but even it took her 2 tel calls. Yes, it is well worth it, very near a metro station and buses. Only 2 storey high - it really is an old hutong building converted into a Hotel. Lots of shops and small cafes nearby. Room small, with windows looking into the enclosed courtyard, so no natural light or ventilation, but OK for the price. Staff friendly, breakfast is entre-sized, but hey, there are lots of little shops in the hutongs around. I just enjoyed chilling out and wandering, so after the blisters healed, I was quite happy.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the top of the stairs - because windows look into the internal courtyard, you get...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

When I saw this Courtyard was awarded by TripAdvisor in 2012 I jump on it.
But honestly I've been disappointed.
The hotel itself is quite good. You'll stay in a real "Chinese atmosphere".
Rooms are comfortable enough even if the bathroom is really basic and without any charm.

Then, this hotel is, for me, not located in the best place in Beijing.
Several taxi refused to drive me there because they didn't know the address.
Even when I took my first taxi from the airport, at least 4 people had to discuss together to finally "guess" the direction to take.

But the worst for me was the staff. Not warm at all, they are making business and that's it !!
Pay, sleep and go away ... don't ask for more !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had read previous reviews stating this place was hard to find, and I definitely had trouble. Firstly, four taxis refused to take me to the address. Eventually I got dropped at andingmen road. Following the map I had was useless, it was incorrect. Anyway, once found it was a pretty cool place to stay. Lots of character, clean, and reliable wifi in room. Bed was soft! Staff were friendly. Meals were pretty good, free breakfast included baked beans, always a win for a vegetarian. Only downfall was that noise carries, and I could hear conversations that were taking place in the courtyard clearly.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a lovely little hotel in a hutong in Beijing. The rooms are very pretty, the staff friendly and it was good value. This was in a great position for walking to the restaurants and bars in the evening. Would recommend this hotel if you want to get away from the highrise hotels and you want a more authentic Beijing experience. Make sure you know where the hotel is located as it took our taxi driver ages to find it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Julie U
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights (my last 2 nights in Beijing).
I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a more "authentic" Beijing stay and don't mind roughing it a bit.

Low points:
1. The rooms were small and had enough space for bed and no armoirs so we pretty much lived out of our suitcase
2. Privacy is limited as each room lets out onto the internal courtyard and the feel is more of a dormitory stay more than.
3. The bathroom was run-down and a bit dirty by normal standards, but considering the place is in the traditional section of the city, it was above-par to neighborhood standards

Plus points:
1. Staff was very helpful - even more helpful than staff at 5 star hotels we stayed at. The place offered tours though am not sure how effective as we didn't get to take advantage of them.
2. The place was simply charming in an odd way.
3. Breakfast was good and there was some slight variation in choice
4. The location was excellent - 8 minute walk from Temple of Confucius; 15-20 minute (nice) walk from the Drum Tower; 10 minute walk from shopping streets (get ready to haggle and see the same shops over and over again - a nit of a minus for me)

Overall I would reccommend this hotel for those who don't mind the no-frill take on accommodation and for those who like their swimming pool and 5 star conveniences - at least try it for a few nights like we did. It is worth it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

It was a bit hard to find, as the maps on booking sites are not very accurate, but once we knew where it was, the location was great. The building next door was being renovated, so it was quite messy and dusty, but fortunately the noise from the building site didn't get through to the hotel. I'm very glad other reviewers had warned about the dodgy streets that lead to the hotel, otherwise I would have been very worried on the way there. At check in, they asked for a 200 yuan deposit, but after travelling all day we only had 180 in cash on us, so they agreed to only take 100, which was great.

The room we had was tiny, and there was no window other than looking into the courtyard, but as we were on the ground floor, we had to have the lights on, otherwise it was dark. To let some air in, we could open the windows to the courtyard, but then we risked banging our heads on them, as they opened to the inside, and we could hear everything that was going on, as if the people were in the room with us. The bathroom was very small as well, and the shower stall was leaking, so the floor was getting soaked with each shower.

The hotel had some brochures for different tours, but when we asked them to book us on a particular Great Wall trip, they said they couldn't or wouldn't, as only the hotel brochure trips were available. We contacted the company from the brochure directly via email, fortunately they were responsive and spoke English, and we went on the tour we wanted. I don't see why the hotel would have brochures for tours they wouldn't book, though.

The room cleaning service was very patchy. The first day they forgot to give us the two complimentary bottles of water, but the next day we got them. We ran out of shower gel, and they didn't refill it, so I had to ask them to do it in the evening when we got back to the hotel. Some days they cleaned our tea cups, some days they didn't.

The included breakfast was ok. After a few weeks of having Chinese breakfasts, it was great to have hash browns and toast for a couple of days.

All in all, I guess I'm glad we stayed there, but I wouldn't go back there again, I think. As for the "hutong experience", and seeing how everyday people live - we'd seen plenty of that in other cities, because we tend to walk around a lot, rather than hop from one tourbus to the next, so it wasn't such a special thing for us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple