“Perfect Family Vacation Location”

Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town
Ranked #52 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our family stayed at this location for five nights for our Thanksgiving vacation. I have previously stayed at this hotel and reviewed this property but not with my family-in-tow. So this review is with a family in mind.

Back in July of this year I emailed the GM, Mr. Travers and asked him as a Platinum Elite member could I reserve three rooms all on the same floor. He immediately replied and after receiving his room rate I agreed and reservations were made.

Upon arrival, I went to the front desk and our reservations were correct (rate and rooms on same floor). Although I would have preferred to be on a higher floor, we were all on the 7th floor. Our room had been upgraded to a suite and the other two rooms were as requested... two beds in each room. Our children were ecstatic with their rooms for the first thing they all did was to take a shower after such a long trip from the US. Everyone loved the hot water and pressure! The beds were incredibly comfortable and everyone had a great first nights rest.

Incredible, delightful, awesome are words that are not sufficient to describe how amazing our suite was on the 7th floor. The bathroom was larger than ours at home in the US. The separate bath and shower and vast two sink vanity with a separate toilet area and chandelier lighting was breathtaking to my wife. She said she didn't need to go anywhere else (ha ha). We also had a separate living room from the bedroom. This was perfect for our family of six adults as we were able to congregate in the living room area. There was two couches and a desk/working area. Just this area was the size of a normal hotel room. The large flat screen TV, refrigerator with drinks, and large window were truly fabulous. This living room area also had a separate toilet area from the bathroom next to the bedroom.

My family wants to know when they can come back and stay at this hotel again. They loved it and said it was one of the top three places they have ever stayed.

Over the course of five nights and six days, we fully utilized this hotel. The swimming pool, sauna, exercise room and locker rooms were first-rate. There are separate facilities for men and women and once again, loved by all. There are a variety of work-out exercise equipment, as well as, free weights. This room comes with a water cooler and towels. Bring your headphones and you can watch your favorite channel while you are working out.

The Amazing: The breakfast on the 6th floor will not disappoint! Each morning at 8:00 we would meet for breakfast and we would still be there at 9:00. We ate and laughed and ate and laughed. There is truly something for everyone's individual tastes. In my last review I commented that improvement needed to be made with the servers. Well done! There was a noticeable difference in the quality of service all five mornings. I say compliments to whoever fixed this area. Please pass on my compliments to the morning staff as they were fantastic. By the third morning they recognized us and even one of the male servers asked as soon as I was walking toward my seat, "Hot green tea this morning?"

I also would like to compliment the staff for the Sunday morning, December 1 breakfast. Due to needed repairs on the 6th floor, they moved breakfast to the first floor at the German restaurant. First of all, there were many employees standing in the hallway directing people to the new location. Nice touch. What surprised me was that they completely set-up the German restaurant as if it was the Café on the 6th. I mean they took no short cuts. Everything and I mean everything was moved to the first floor and it was just as incredible as if it was still on the 6th floor. A side comment here: permanently move the breakfast to the first floor please. It was an awesome sight to be able to look out on the sidewalk and watch people and traffic while eating. The first floor had much better lighting and ambiance than the 6th floor. Plus, you would do more outside business for your restaurant if you opened this up on the 1st floor. It was a much better place as far as the location.

What is near this hotel? Everything. There is a Burger King, Sizzler, Dairy Queen, and a Starbucks all connected to this hotel in the Utown Mall area. The Burger King has excellent seating and you can see two different directions and watch lots of people while you are eating. The Starbucks is very busy and definitely more expensive than the US. Across the street you will find a McDonalds (very dirty and several homeless people sleeping in the morning).

Within a ten minutes walk there are two Pizza Huts, KFC, and a Wal Mart. Only this Wal Mart is nothing like the US. However, if you forgot anything in the US, you can find it at this Wal Mart. It is actually in the basement of the building and an awkward entrance.

The Bank of China is straight across from the entrance to the hotel. Just grab a number from the machine as soon as you walk in on the left before you sit down. The exchange rate was 6.05 during the week of Thanksgiving. They do NOT take a service fee when exchanging money. There are pretty good Tom and Jerry cartoon reruns while you are waiting to exchange money. You will need your passport to exchange money and they will give you a form to complete while they are making a copy of your passport. This happens everytime so nothing to be alarmed about. It is cheaper on you to exchange money at the bank than it is at the hotel.

We took many subway trips during our week and it is a good 12-15 brisk walk to the subway station. It is easy to get to but you will have to cross on a pedestrian bridge across the very busy street. You can buy tickets for 2 RMB as soon as you walk down the long tunnel. The ticket office is open until 10 p.m. If you have a bag you will have it screened just before the ticket office. We found for the six of us it was much cheaper and for the most part, quicker to take the subway than to take two taxis. We took the subway to Wangjing, the Forbidden City, the Acrobatic Show and to the Beijing West train station. We never had a problem and it was very, very easy to use. If your first time using, once you buy your train card at the ticket office, you use it to enter the subway and when you exit the subway station at your final destination, you will put your card in the machine in order to exit the station... so don't lose your card or expect to keep it.

If you are really adventurous, the Silk Market is a 1.25 mile walk from the hotel. It is very, very easy to get too. Take a right out of the main entrance and walk until you come to a main street that forces you to make a right or left. Make a right and at the end of the street the Silk Market is on your right. So, only one right hand turn to make. It is an enjoyable walk as you can see and smell different things along the route.

There are always taxis available and the two times that we did take taxis, we were able to get two both times and all went smoothly. Concierge was very helpful in telling the taxi drivers where we wanted to go. The taxi ride to the Pearl Market was 25 RMB for each of us.

Now back to the hotel... I highly, highly recommend this hotel. I enjoy staying here and will stay here again in the Spring when I return. The front desk still needs to work on their English but you will get through it. The lobby was decorated for Christmas and it was beautiful... great attention to detail from the staff.

Only one negative comment for this trip... the morning that we left they were filming a movie in the lobby and drive outside with a great big limo. The only, ONLY, way for us to exit to our van that was waiting to take us to the airport was through the front lobby. We had six people, twelve pieces of luggage (lots of shopping) and our carry-ons. The people filming became very irritated with us trying to exit. We were only following the concierge gentleman who was leading us out. Everyone stopped (a group of 35 or so) to watch us exit the building. Of course we had to make a couple trips to get everything. This wasn't right as we were guests. The filming crew was paying the hotel, no doubt, to use their facility. Kinda left a sour taste as we were leaving from such a fabulous vacation.

Otherwise... a nearly perfect vacation at this hotel. I'm just sorry I didn't see Mr. Travers again. Maybe he was on vacation too. We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank im4duke
CrownePlazaUTown, Marketing and Communications Department at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Very warm greetings from Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-TOWN!
We were delighted to learn how happy you were with the professional services experienced at our hotel.
Once again, thank you for your valuable and continued support of the hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback as it is through comments such as yours that allow us to monitor and fine-tune our service & facilities.
We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town in the near future. In the mean time, if there is anything we can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Best wishes to you and your family during the festive season!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have stayed here a few times before and each time the staff is friendly and the rooms are modern and well kept. The Crowne Plaza is attached to a shopping mall and is close to the embassy district. This is one of the nicer hotels I have stayed at in the Chaoyang District in Beijing (tried a few others at first with rooms that were just as nice, but the service was lacking). It is also a very good value given the service and quality. I request to stay here anytime I am in the area for business (about 1 to 3 times per year) and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaUTown, Marketing and Communications Department at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here three nights in November with the family for sightseeing. Good location near a subway stop. Not exactly easy finding the subway but once you do the route is easily replicated. The room was very nice, large, and appeared to be renovated not too long ago (stayed on 10th floor). I'm a platinum elite member and they said something about having upgraded me, but then wanted to charge a LOT OF MONEY to upgrade me to club level. Considering my status either upgrade me to club level or don't mention it! The English is spotty depending on the worker, the girl at the reception lounge is great. We tried calling for extra sheets and towels and struggled. To their credit they sent someone up to have us point at what we wanted so it got sorted. The German restaurant was tasty but a bit expensive. And it gets smoky even in the non smoking section. Try the Blue Frog in the mall next door or Tuk Tuk Thai. Both good places. All in a good spot for family holiday time and hopping around the city via subway. There's also a McDonald's near by for breakfast if needed. The gym is terrific, even had a full kettle bell lineup. Weird rule at the pool though - you must wear a bathing cap! Even for kids. So big disappointment for the family not to mention I've never heard of that one before.

Stayed: November 2013
CrownePlazaUTown, Marketing & Communications Department at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Reviewed November 12, 2013

It is one of the best hotel in Beijing , however for no smoking room you have to pay more.
It is not near the forbidden city so it is good for business
The room modern nice and clean as well as the whole hotel
The executive floor is well recommended and the staff speak english

Room Tip: The executive floor is well recommended If you don't smoke and want no smoking room you have t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaUTown, Marketing and Communication Department at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I am a platinum member for IHG club, who runs Holidayinn and Crowne plaza.
I stayed at many different hotel in this club. This Crowne Plaza is one of the best one I have been to compare to others.
Hotel Stay: Staff are friendly and very accommodating. I was lucky to get a free upgrade to a suite. Staff speaks fairly good English. There is a great gym, swimming pool, Jacuzzi and hot Sauna for the hotel guest.

Surrounding:
This hotel locates in the area where a bunch of consulate from different counties are established. 5 mins walk to subway station. Tons of restaurant around. In fact, this hotel shares with a shopping building.

I would recommend this hotel to whom travel to Beijing.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kang L
CrownePlazaUTown, Marketing & Communications Department at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Reviewed October 26, 2013

A great choice for this area of Beijing. Very comfortable and relaxing hotel with nice facilities - rooms, club and fitness center.

Generally good English skills and good service. Many restaurant choices in the area. Decent hotel food.

I would return to this place again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaUTown, Marketing and Communications department at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The room is spacious (if you pay for an upgrade) and fairly new. But, the service, including in the Club Lounge, is very slow. It took half an hour to bring my coffee. The Internet is extremely slow and drops out repeatedly even though I am on the Club floor and even plugged in a broadband cable.

For someone travelling on business and staying for a week so the Internet particularly matters as I work in my room, these are real let-downs.

It would have been 4 and even 5 rating if it weren't for the service, which unfortunately is not uncommon in China.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaUTown, Marketing and Communications Coordinator at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Very warm greetings from Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-TOWN.

Thank you for your kind support and sharing with us your experience during your recent stay at the hotel.

We would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations. Your feedback that “service of Club Lounge” and "Internet problem" were of great concern and this has been shared with the related department heads. We pride ourselves on attention to detail and we have not lived up to our standards on this occasion.

We are grateful for your constructive feedback to enable us to have an in-depth look into our day-to-day operations.

I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to redeem ourselves and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-TOWN when you next travel plan takes you to Beijing. In the mean time, if there is anything we can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to let us know.