“OK - reasonable location and service”

Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town
Ranked #52 of 6,563 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Chose the location as a compromise between airport and central and this actually worked out OK, if a challenge for taxi drivers to find it. This, I find, is incredible - you have a map with the hotel directions in Chinese and they still can't find it! Never mind, thanks to Google maps on the Blackberry - seriously - managed to get myself back at night.

The hotel is big and the service acceptable. Stayed on the club floor which worked out cheaper than the pre-booked room (can't quite figure that out still), and the breakfast was on floor 20 in the club lounge. Using my 'how to rate a breakfast' scale of poached-eggs, they get a '2/10'.

Room: OK, clean and has all the bits you need. Water is a cheekly 60Y extra and WiFi a tad slow.

And then there's the German restaurant.

So, anyone from Europe would not automatically flock to one, but here you have no choice if the thousands of Beijing eateries have been excluded! So, I tried it (becuase it was late), and my summary is that Berlin needs to make a visit. Starter & main served at the same time; dry chicken, and token carrots probably had been sitting (or rather lying) around for ages. If you are stuck for someting to eat - and I mean stuck - then give it a go.

Service generally OK and as a base - you should consider.

1  Thank Mr_Avios
Nora L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we had addressed our Food & Baverage Director of your valuabel comments on the food. The necessary improment I has been made. We hope that you will choose our hotel again when you are back in beijing so that we can exceed your expectations during your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I was at the Crown Plaza U-town in the beginning of Nov 2012, it was really a big mistake for me for being too nice too my assistance as she had misunderstood what I meant so she booked me in this hotel! I should insist to change the booking but I was just too nice to her! I really learn a lesson this time!
This hotel is actually next to a shopping mall name U-town, the area is a bit remote from all the attractions and good restaurants but close to a lot of office buildings. So there is nothing interesting at all at night.
I was on the top floor in the Exective deluxe room. It was really a shock when I enter the room as it is the first time to see a huge black chandelier hanging in the middle of a hotel room. The room was clean but the decor was not tasteful. The room also has floor to ceiling windows but the curtain they use looks so cheap!
What put me down the most is the concierge! they were not helpful at all. I was alone on my business trip and I was planning to go to have lamb hot pot. I asked the gentleman at the concierge on recommendation but he keep telling me that everywhere is full, then I ask about a Restaurant name Dong Lai Shung (the most famous lamb hot pot in Beijing) and he said it is definitely full, and I ask if he could help me to call and book a table and again, he said it is definitely full so no need to even try. Also he said there would be no taxi to come back so better stay in the hotel for dinner. Without listening to him, i jumped Into a taxi and go straight to Dong Lai Shung. I was expecting to wait but when I arrived, the restaurant was only 1/3 fill and I got seated straight away. Also, it was really easy to get a taxi back to the hotel too!
I understand situation varies everyday, but I am not happy that he didn't even try to make a phone call for me. I am tourist and I count on their service. But they cannot even delivery a very basic service as a concierge!
I had my breakfast at the Exective lounge. Reasonable standard but again, no service.
Yes, it is not an expensive hotel I know. And I shouldn't compare it with the hotels that I usually stayed. But still, I won't recommend this hotel as there are ample choice of hotels in BJ.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank CookingFan

Thank you for your review of our hoel, we too are disappointed with your stay experience with us and apologise for the concierge. We have analyzed our conceirge staffing levels at the time of your visit and have made the necessary improvements to ensure that this will never happen again. I hope that you will choose our hotel again when you are back in beijing so that we can exceed your expectations during your next stay with us.Our brand promise is to deliver ‘hospitality from the heart’ and we will do everything in our means to fulfil that promise—to our guests, and to our employees. At your convenience, please email me via nora.li@igh.com so that we can address this for you.

Nora Li

Reviewed November 19, 2012

An above standard Crowne Plaza hotel. The rooms are of good sizes with a good selection of restaurants around the hotel (mall) or within the hotel. The swimming pool and gym are excellent. The only downside is that the German Brewery food is below standard. Its in the heart of the Chaoyang business district and would stay for that reason here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Nora L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments, many appreciate if you could send me a direct message via nora.li@ihg.com with any more details to help us improve. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and were very impressed by the hotel.
Our flight to Beijing landed at 5am and understandably our room was not ready when we arrived at the hotel. However, the staff upgraded us to an available Club room.
The room was lovely, the hotel spotless and the breakfast...
Breakfast was extensive to say the least and very impressive!

Nothing bad to say about the hotel, an excellent introduction to China!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fenners1984
Nora L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments, we are so glad to hear you have a lovely stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

After stay in a tebbible hotel at Jiangjin and arrive at this hotel , i'm fell in a paradise.
Very well placed hotel , interligate in a good shoppin center , and very close , by taxi , from the many good places ( turistic and business too)
Wonderfull lobby , nice restaurant and the room are very well decorate and confortable.
all the staf speak a very good english and they're so helpfull.
i'll come back there everi trip in Beijing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed our 5-star service and our exceptional food and beverage options, and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a functional hotel in a good location in Beijing. The rooms are fine with more than enough space. There is a German themed restaurant as part of the hotel which serves a decent pint. The breakfast was ok without being special. The staff were efficient enough. All in all a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Phileas F

Thank you very much for taking your time out to share your experience at our hotel, we are delighted that you enjoy your stay with us. The German restaurant is Hopfenstub, we have a set of brew equipment, the fresh brewed beer is worth to try. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a business hotel in a business area, the breakfast was amazing - great choice in the buffet ( even can have chickens feet with salad! )
The room was fine, very clean and lots of space.
The Blue Frog next door is a great place to eat especially on a Monday as burgers are buy one get one free as are drinks, nothing else close by that we could see apart fram usual American suspects !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nora L, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Chaoyang U-Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.