“Real Beijing Experiences” 5 of 5 bubbles

$30.36*
and up
2-Hour Small-Group Culinary Market Tour in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hutong is Beijing's culture exchange center in the heart of the capital. From cooking classes to tea workshops, to walking tours for the intellectually curious traveler, and much more.
Beijing, China
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Real Beijing Experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I completely recommend The Hutong! Not only are they located in a very traditional Hutong neighborhood courtyard , which gives you a taste of old Beijing, but the staff is very friendly and their classes cover everything from cooking classes, market tours, food crawls, local comedy and some of the very best in TCM with Alex! Make time for this place, you will not regret it! One of the best places in Beijing to experience a relaxed and fun time not matter if you are visiting or living here!

Our most recent tour was the Culinary Crawl with Adam- he was fantastic and we were able to taste both street foods as well as local dishes at hip little places that we had no idea existed- and We have lived here for almost 2 years-it was GREAT to see new places that we never knew existed!

Visited December 2013

Morristown, NJ
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Hutong Bike Trips - Yunnan & Ningxia - Amazing Experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I recently went on 2 different Hutong bike trips, and both were great - and highly recommended. The first was to Ningxia in June, along the Inner Mongolian border - a very scenic area, with wide, sweeping vistas - like the American south west. Last week we were in Yunnan, in Southern China, along the Burma border. It was a very different area - tropical and lush!
In this short review, I won't give a day by day description. But what I wll say are the Hutong trips are very well organized - they had 2 native english speaking guides, and 2 guides from the local region. We rode to places you would simply never see - small villages, farms, tea & rubber factories - places you could not get into without a local guide. The small groups (15 or so bikers) allow you go get off the beaten path. We had unexpected encounters - playing volleyball with villagers at 10pm at night, joining women practicing for a folk dance festival (proving we can't dance....), small markets, even an impromptu frisbee toss with some local kids.
These rides are challenging - but not impossible. You need to be in decent shape and get on a bike a few times before the ride, but you can do it. I was on the older (oldest?) end of the riders at 50+, and had no problems. i would not recommend this for pre-teens, but teen agers would have a blast. The Hutong staff is great - they are flexible, willing to change the program based on weather conditions or the groups interests, and are very friendly.
After riding in 2 different goup tours, I highly recommend the Hutong Bike adventures.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank tpkinsl
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing morning at the Hutong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We are staying in beijing for 6 months as my husband is over here for work. Signed up to do the Indian cookery class but would recommend anyone to try and fit in a class no matter how short their visit may be. Everybody was friendly and welcoming, even went out of their way to come out in the rain to meet me and show me the way to get to the location. The class was cozy, clean, informative and I learned so much about Indian cookery. Can't wait for next class and to go home and impress my friends with new recipes. Amazing.

Visited September 2013
Berlin, Germany
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Nice place, fun people, really good cooking classes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Hutong is a really nice place hidden in the streets called Hutongs. In addition to activities such as cycling or tea workshops, they offer a variety of courses about regional dishes from different provinces of the country. From homemade tofu to Shanxi noodles, from Cantonese to Sichuan style. I joined the Sichuan cooking class which was really nice and would love to join another class next time I'm in Beijing. If you like cooking and want to experience it the right way, The Hutong ist just the right place for you.

If you want to know more about the Sichuan class they offer, read my review on my travel blog anekdotique.com

You find it here:

Visited April 2013
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very good Cooking Class, highly recommended, good english as well!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We attended a cooking class for general chinese cuisine. The place is nicely licated in a hutong, easy to find with Google Maps. Class is bot too big, quite intimate with a lot if time for direct Q&A. Very interesting experience!!

Visited August 2013