“Dumpling lessons in Beijing”

The Hutong - Culture Exchange Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Hutong is Beijing's premier culture exchange center in the heart of the capital. From cooking classes to tea workshops, to walking tours for the intellectually curious traveler, and much more.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Best place to learn how to make dumplings.
Different styles taught in half day class. Small numbers - maybe up to 12 - taught by expert teacher.
Everything provided.
Vegetarians catered for.
Fun, easy, take home instructions, and it's a community centre.

Confucius once said “rolling dumplings is the way to a man’s heart.” From The Hutong website - An “upright dumpling makes a woman’s heart tremble” remarked Mao, meaning that a dumpling able to stand tall without falling over reflects the very character of its creator.

You will not only learn how to knead and roll the dough, to create gourmet fillings, to concoct natural dyes from fresh vegetables for colorful wraps for your stylish dumplings, but you will also learn the stories behind one of the most prized and popular dishes enjoyed all over China. Don’t be caught not knowing how to roll a dumpling … let The Hutong teacher show you how!
The Hutong’s Chinese Kitchen series is designed to teach you the basics and beyond. The recipes change with each class, according to the chef’s selected dishes and seasonal produce.
Cost: 249 RMB, 199 for members for gourmet dumpling lessons, including lunch - your dumplings and salad.
The Hutong can be hard to find, but Internet maps will help.
Classes fill up rather quickly, so best to book.

All reviews
"inner mongolia"
"perfect english"
"beijing experience"

Reviewed July 9, 2013

A beautiful setting in the heart of the Beijing hutongs. Fantastic instruction from the energetic and knowledgeable Sophia. She was a patient and encouraging teacher--which turned out to be necessary, given the difficulty of shaping and closing the steamed buns properly. Great venue, great people, and a fun way to experience a bit of Chinese culture! Highly recommended for visitors and Beijingers alike!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

A cooking course in the Hutong is much more than learning how to cook a couple of dishes, it's truly a culinary experience. After having lived for almost 1 year in Beijing, I still hadn't gone to the Hutong even though it was on my to-do list for the whole year. I regret only doing it the last day of my stay because I couldn't do any more cooking classes. It was such a fun and delicious experience and highlight of my one year stay in Beijing! I will definitely recommend the Hutong to my friends as I recommend this to the Tripadvisor community.

The people of the Hutong are super well organized with eye for detail and with extensive knowledge on Chinese food and culinary traditions. So you get to learn a lot more than just how to make a certain recipe.

The cooking course itself was extremely detailed and well executed. I enjoy cooking but definitely don't consider myself a good chef. However, they taught us certain techniques for cutting for example. Also, you get to learn a lot about the ingredients and the purpose of using certain ingredients (in Chinese cuisine). We were also given tips on substitutes etc. which I personally found very helpful since some products will not be available in my home country. The dishes we made were very good and again, I will be able to make them at home since they weren't overly complicated and specific in terms of ingredients and kitchen material you need.

I also found it great to share experiences with the other people attending the course. It's not always as easy to meet new people in Beijing and attending a cooking class together with strangers is definitely a good way to meet new people. Even if you're a tourist visiting Beijing, I would think it's super nice to meet hear stories of people living in Beijing or other tourists.

All this is set in a beautiful setting of the authentic Beijing hutongs, personally my favorite area in Beijing. Have a stroll around the hutongs in the neighborhood, they're a very preserved area of the hutongs.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I love food, and I love to cook. I've attended The Hutong twice for cooking classes and I enjoyed the experience both times. The staff there is super friendly and very knowledgeable with what they teach. Whatever questions I had regarding the items we were cooking the instructor was able to give a helpful answer and even offer suggestions for alternatives, which was great because it really showed she knew what she was doing and had a lot of experience in the kitchen. I love that they give copies of the recipe for us to take home as well. Speaking of recipes, I recently lost one of them and was a bit sad by this but when I emailed The Hutong letting them know what happened they responded back within a couple of hours and gave me a copy of the recipe. I loved knowing that even outside their kitchen they are still really friendly and helpful. If anyone wants to take a cooking class in a warm friendly knowledgeable environment, The Hutong is a great place to cook. I’ve already reserved my third cooking class with them later this week so there is no doubt that I’ll keep repeating a great cooking experience with a great group of kitchen experts.