“The most fun thing I did in China”

The Hutong - Culture Exchange Center
Book In Advance
More Info
$30.31*
and up
2-Hour Small-Group Culinary Market Tour in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hutong is Beijing's culture exchange center in the heart of the capital. From cooking classes to tea workshops, to walking tours for the intellectually curious traveler, and much more.
Johnstown, Colorado
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“The most fun thing I did in China”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I took two classes when I visited here last April. I know it's taken way too long to get this review up. My husband came to Beijing for work and I was able to tag along. I was on my own during the day. After reading about The Hutong on T.A. I decided to give it a try. I took the subway and followed the directions given to me and I became lost the first time, but I just retraced my steps back to the train and tried again. Watch for the red dots painted on the walls, they are rather high up and I guess I missed them the first time. Keep watching for them and they will help you through the maze of the Hutong.
It's beautiful inside the gate of the cultural center! We were led to the roof top for a refreshing drink of plum juice before our class on seczhuan(?) cooking started. there were people from all around the world taking part. Our instructor (sorry I've forgotten her name )from inner Mongolia was awesome. We were shown how to use a Chinese cleaver and cut up vegetables and meat. Got to eat a delicious meal afterward.
I had so much fun that I signed up for another class on Chinese dumplings a few days later. We had another diverse group of travelers this time as well. This class was the most fun! We learned how make and roll out perfect little circles of dough and fill them with various meats and vegetables. So GOOD!
Honestly, this experience was right up there with seeing the Great Wall and Summer palace! Don't hesitate to check out the many different course offerings available!!!

Visited May 2012

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Wonderful Culinary, Educational and Social Experience!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I recently had the extreme pleasure of attending the Gourmet Cupcakes class taught by Culinary expert, Ali. As someone who'd never baked anything from scratch, I really appreciated Ali's guidance, patience and clear instruction. From taking the time to carefully explain the differences in measurements of ingredients cups vs. grams/ etc, to answering everyone's questions, to explaining the "why" behind the process, all with enthusiasm and encouragement, she was a true professional. She had the room laughing and smiling the entire time while she told anecdotes about her experiences cooking around the world. She even led us in a humorous "cardio" portion of the lesson while showing us a fun and simple way to mix by hand. There was never a dull moment! She didn't leave anyone behind and encouraged creativity! The recipe was really cool too; Neopolitan cupcake creation, a brownie layer, strawberry cake layer all topped with vanilla buttercream frosting! A refreshing change from the boring, one flavor dry kind! We left the class each with 6 beautifully packaged cupcakes to take home and finished the class enjoying a cake made from all of our extra ingredients, which was a nice touch, and let us save our cupcakes! The atmosphere was laid back and I felt like I was cooking with a bunch of friends. Ali, Erin and the rest of the Hutong staff also made an effort to make everyone feel so welcome and comfortable. They provide everything for you, with both foreign and Chinese staff, they've got everything covered and go out of their way to make sure that all of your needs are taken care of. Especially helpful for new people and visitors to Beijing! The Ayi (cleaner) was constantly refilling our teas and snacks and cleaning our areas so swiftly, the kitchen was spotless at all times.

This is the third culinary event at the Hutong that I've taken part in, and each class has been delightful, professionally run, easy to follow and the food has always turned out really well! Very empowering for novice chef! Chef Sue is amazing too! So knowledgeable, patient, kind and a natural teacher, I owe my knife skills to her! These classes and events are a truly great way to spend a night out in Beijing!

Visited February 2013
Beijing, China
“Venue for Education Program Workshop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

We recently held our educational workshop at The Hutong. Not only did the location of the venue give our students a great experience of the hutongs in Beijing, but the space was also incredibly comfortable and cozy on a snowy winter day. We all thoroughly enjoyed the catered lunch; the Beijing cuisine further added to the students' understanding of the local culture. The vegetarian options were also appreciated.

Highly recommended for all educational and cultural events!

Visited January 2013
Beijing, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Hutong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Tired of organized trips that make manadatory stops at souvenir factories?! Well, The Hutong is your answer. Whether it's language, culture, photography or food you're interested in, The Hutong can add spice to your Beijing experience. No matter how long you're in town, take a class and turn your visit into an adventure.

Visited January 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Good school with a lot of diffrent classes.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

It doesn't matter if you are a Beijing resident or a tourist, this school sure has a class that fit's your interest.

Been taken the beginner and intermediate photo course with Mitchell as a mentor and not only is he a good teacher, during my two day courses I really get a deeper knowledge of my camera, got inspiration to take more photos, photo critique/feedback, got basic knowledge in using Lightroom 4 and got to know new friends that share my hobby.

My wife and I also went to the "Asian Pickling Class" which was very good, with a good teacher, and now we are enjoying our pickles at home. Soon to make a new batch at home.

Our next goal is to try the "dumpling class" and the "tofu making class" which we heard from friends was really good.

If you have an interest in Chinese culture or/and food/tea I can really recommend this school.

Visited September 2012