“Venue for Education Program Workshop”

The Hutong - Culture Exchange Center
Book In Advance
More Info
$30.14*
and up
2-Hour Small-Group Culinary Market Tour in Beijing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Hutong is Beijing's culture exchange center in the heart of the capital. From cooking classes to tea workshops, to walking tours for the intellectually curious traveler, and much more.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We recently held our educational workshop at The Hutong. Not only did the location of the venue give our students a great experience of the hutongs in Beijing, but the space was also incredibly comfortable and cozy on a snowy winter day. We all thoroughly enjoyed the catered lunch; the Beijing cuisine further added to the students' understanding of the local culture. The vegetarian options were also appreciated.

Highly recommended for all educational and cultural events!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Tired of organized trips that make manadatory stops at souvenir factories?! Well, The Hutong is your answer. Whether it's language, culture, photography or food you're interested in, The Hutong can add spice to your Beijing experience. No matter how long you're in town, take a class and turn your visit into an adventure.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

It doesn't matter if you are a Beijing resident or a tourist, this school sure has a class that fit's your interest.

Been taken the beginner and intermediate photo course with Mitchell as a mentor and not only is he a good teacher, during my two day courses I really get a deeper knowledge of my camera, got inspiration to take more photos, photo critique/feedback, got basic knowledge in using Lightroom 4 and got to know new friends that share my hobby.

My wife and I also went to the "Asian Pickling Class" which was very good, with a good teacher, and now we are enjoying our pickles at home. Soon to make a new batch at home.

Our next goal is to try the "dumpling class" and the "tofu making class" which we heard from friends was really good.

If you have an interest in Chinese culture or/and food/tea I can really recommend this school.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A friend living in Beijing booked me into a class at The Hutong before I arrived in China, and while weaving my way through the Hutong laneways trying to find it, I wasn't sure what to expect. But what a fabulous morning it turned out to be, a real trip highlight. We learnt the technique for preparing dumpling doe, the filling options, and different ways to cook them. The best part? We got to eat them all for lunch at the end.Thanks for a great class guys! If im ever back in China I'll definitely be back :)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The gyoza class I took at The Hutong was one of my favorite experiences in Beijing. Our instructor was informative, engaging, and quite knowledgable. She made an effort to answer each of our questions completely and went so far as to email around a recipe that wasn't part of that class, because we were all so interested. If they had offered another cooking class during the 2 weeks I was there, I would have seriously considered it.

My only suggestions for improvement:
1) Once I got home and was ready to make another batch of gyoza, I found that the directions were somewhat vague, and in one place, just didn't make sense. I'd tighten that up a bit.

2) Share or sell the secret to the spice mixture used pretty much everywhere in Beijing, including the restaurant down the street! I tried to break it down myself, but could only pick out the cumin. If I had found it sold anywhere, I would have bought a pound! In fact, I class on local spices and how to use them would be fantastic!

Been to The Hutong - Culture Exchange Center? Share your experiences!