New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$140
Hyatt.com
$269
$246
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 17, 2016

When we arrived at the hotel I was slightly off put by the location at first. It's in the middle of a small side street off the main roads and there are a lot of small restaurants and businesses around, even some homes. But once we realized the hotel was not far from a main street and only a 5 minute walk to the Metro Station, everything was fine on that front. I think this hotel caters mostly to Chinese clientele as the front desk spoke very limited English, but it was enough to get by and have a pretty smooth check in process. The room itself was very spacious and quite hip. When you entered the room music started to play automatically and there were a lot of cool mood lighting settings next to the bed. The shower and bathroom walls were all glass, but you can pull down some shades to give you some privacy. But I thought it was a really hip, sexy feature. There was an easy to use media center to have the music from my iPhone play through the TV and the Wifi was pretty excellent by Chinese Standards. There was even a goldfish sharing our room. His name was Albert. The only issue we encountered was a faulty AC unit. We had no air conditioning through our 3 night stay. As English was limited, they tried to trouble shoot but nothing seemed to work. This was a total inconvenience as it was extremely hot in Beijing. On the second night, the hotel did provide us with 2 box fans that helped quite a bit, so I found that as pretty good customer service on their part. I would have rather been moved, but the fans were quite and cool and due to the language barriers, I didn't want keep pushing the issue. Check out was smooth and they ordered our taxi to the airport. For the price we paid for a very centralized location (only 2 metro stops away from the Forbidden City) I thought the hotel was fair. I'd stay there again if I new the AC in my room was in perfect working order.

Room Tip: There are non smoking rooms and the English Breakfast was pretty decent, very good coffee.
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric G
Reviewed July 13, 2016

My two colleagues and I recently took nine technology and engineering students to Beijing to visit local businesses and high tech companies. We stayed here.
I loved it. Easy on the eyes, very quiet, and in a great neighborhood that has none of the over development or loss of character of real Beijing.
Easy walking distance to subway, and so many places to eat, especially if you like bao and duck, and even Korean food.
Prices are reasonable and the staff even let our students spend the evenings in the dining area, since it was not used at all after breakfast.
We saw lots of families and a lot of couples. There were also quite a few businessmen.
One annoying thing is that you could not smoke on some or most of the floors, but you could smoke in the elevator.
A couple of times, we would get into the elevator and someone next to us would light up a cigarette for the quick smoke down to the lobby or up to the rooms. Very annoying.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2016

Location is good, very famous Beijing restaurants close by, Silk Street around the corner, and quiet. Service in arrival is exceptional, tho it kind of wains from there on. It was hot days and having a east facing room does not help as the cleaners open the blinds so your room cooks all day. The air con was not working and on my second night i complained, they offered me a fan and said an engineer would attend my room. Never saw an engineer, just left my room door open. The plug in the bath also would not open to release the water. I also had a call from reception at 10:16pm asking me what i wanted for breakfast, which seemed a bit late to ask. Breakfast was also on the small side, everything was a small serve but enough. All in all i look forward to returning here as my business trip hotel, just don't lose your bearings as myself, and even my beijing colleagues with Baidu maps got lost finding it and returning, it is on a funny kind of hidden street. You would walk right past the turn off if you weren't paying attention!

Room Tip: Try for a west facing room, the sun on a hot day cook the room, cleaners opn the curtains...
Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2016 via mobile

Overall an OK experience during my 3 day 2 night stay. Rooms were small but comfortable. I chose this hotel because of its location which is close to the Yong An Li subway stop on Line 1. I was between apartments and needed a place for a few nights before moving into my new place. Lots of restaurants nearby and I highly recommend the Japanese izakaya, Ba Si Wei 八喜为, on the southern end of the street.

Pros:
1. Good location with a subway station 5min walk away
2. Restaurants nearby

Cons:
1. Expensive set breakfast
2. Staff a little cold: We had friends join us for breakfast and staff didn't seem very gracious in accommodating them. I was also a little late (but not past service time) for breakfast one morning and they didn't seem too happy.
3. Guests smoking in hallway on a non smoking floor.

Stayed: February 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2016

room is big, clean and modern, quiet too. many many light switches, takes time to figure out what controls what. I remember there is a manual in the room for that. shower is big enough. it is in city center. very close to Finance centers. no good restaurants in sight, but taxi can take anywhere u want. staff is friendly.

Room Tip: choose room not facing the busy street
  • Stayed: August 2015, traveled on business