“Boutique hotel with small rooms”

Crystal Orange Hotel Beijing Jianguomen
Ranked #202 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore
“Boutique hotel with small rooms”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The stay in this hotel is rather disappointing despite the good reviews I have seen. The hotel is located in CBD area, about 10-15 min walk from the nearest train station, 5 min away from a supermarket. Traffic in this area is terrible (one of the worst part in Beijing), it is almost impossible to find a taxi, so you are better off taking trains.

The disappointing part is hotel room size and services. The room is tiny comparing to other hotels in the same area with the same price range. And the worst part is the room services and house keeping. I staryed for almost 2 weeks, to begin with, I requested for bed sheets change after 3 days, but they never changed it for another 3 days until I make a protest to the front desk. At first they even claimed that they did change the sheet, until I told them there is still hair on the bed.

Another issue is the heater, they set the room to be at 28 degrees while it is -15 outside. I called them asking to lower then temperature in the room, but they told me they cannot adjust the temperature, they can only turn the heater on or off, no adjustments.

Also, about the membership application, after staying for 2 weeks and paid almost 10,000 RMB bill, they insisted to charge me a 40 RMB fees for the membership. What a way to do marketing.

All in all, this is a rather disappointing experience given the reviews I have seen here. While it claimed to be a 5 star hotel, it is way below typical 5 star hotel standard, in all aspectives. So come with an expectation for a 3 star hotel, then you will be very happy. However, the price is way above 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: If you are not smoking, make sure you ask for non-smoking floor. You will still get smoke on these f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank dtai010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 18, 2013

It is a bit hard to find, but when we arrived we were not dissapointed. We arrived early in the morning and they made a room ready for us so we didn't have to wait untill 3 oclock. The room was nice, not too big, not too small, with the usual very hard bed, but the temperature was very, very hot! There was no way to fix this. Nice decor in the room. On the other hand the service was great, they get out of their way to help us wich was very friendly. We had breakfast here once, we were not impressed!
Great price for what you get!
(Oh and somebody should rescue those fishes in the room, I thougth it was very sad for them to stay in a very tiny glass in a boiling hot room!)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed December 11, 2012

As many have commented today, this is a design boutique hotel that can be difficult to find for taxi drivers. That said, I found service of this hotel to be great. The best thing about the hotel is the neighborhood, which is a hybrid between commercial and residential.

Just a few minutes away from the hotel, you will find all sorts of local restaurants and food stands that sells a variety of food / cuisine. The convinence store right across the hotel is opened 24 hours, which can be a great help when you need a mid night snack.

The only down side is that it can be a far walk to the train station. But the hotel can help you call a taxi where fare is cheap in Western standard.

A solid hotel overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

As a regular traveler to Beijing and with my usual CBD hotel prices soaring I decided to try what I consider to be more of a budget priced hotel but one which appeared to be modern and well located. No disappointment here. It will probably age quickly but right now the rooms and amenities are good and unlike some other reviews, the service and capability of staff was not an issue. It is in a truly local street I know well and walking distance to subway, Silk Market, China World centre and lots of local dining. It is not in the comfort league of the true 4 & 5 stars nearby but offers value and convenience and a few bicycles if you are so inclined.

I was sufficiently impressed to get them to book me into the related Orange Hotel in Hangzhou where I was headed next. While not exactly the same it was also fine for the price.
For a local treat walk north to the end of the street where you will find a small cafe with spicy lamb skewers being barbecued outside. Order a serve of six delicious sticks and sit inside with a beer and feel like a local - cost equiv to a couple of dollars.

Room Tip: Of course get a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Beijing
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel has the potential to be good if the service was to be drastically improved! Whilst the room is nice, clean and modern - the staff here are very unhelpful!!! No matter what your question is the answer is likely to be "no" or "i don't know". Staff lack knowledge of local surroundings and cannot even provide a recommendation for a good dinner spot. You cannot rely on the hotel staff here to help you in any way whatsoever. The rooms also do not have a information book to let you know of call rates from the hotel, hotel facility information etc. Bottom line - I wouldn't stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Taiyuan, China
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel has actually won design awards. The lobby is modern and hip, and the rooms are neither small nor huge, but quite stylish. It is pretty fancy for the price. 'Boutique' is a fairly good description, as the hotel character, but is not a full-service hotel. There are some aspects where it seems more like a budget, hotel, however.

The location is mostly good. It is a bit further from the subway than I would like--maybe a 15 minute stroll, and the alley it is on is prone to mini traffic jams, so not great for getting cabs. A plus of the area is that there are lots of restaurants around, and the alley itself has a few useful shops and a bit of real Beijing character.

There are several classes of room--the quality and design is very similar. Some are slightly larger due to the bay window, and the business room adds a fuller mini-bar and sticks a bathtub in the bay window, which doesn't really excite me. In this case, I would recommend the most basic room available, as they are still nice.

The breakfast at 40 RMB is expensive by Chinese standards, but is huge. It is sort of half Western and half Chinese. Lots of places nearby sell Chinese breads and breakfasts.

The rooms include two small free bottles of water and two small bars of chocolate daily. The mini-bar prices are higher than on the street, but not so bad. A plus was that the room was very quiet, and the beds were firm but soft on top and to me very comfortable.

Lighting has a number of settings--New York for work, Paris for mood lighting, Sleep for off. Once I got used to it, this was a pretty good way to manage numerous lights. The room is brightly lit, and dramatic lighting is an element of design the hotel has gotten mostly right, in my opinion. I didn't have any problems with the heat/air con system.

The big downside:
-The internet connection is abysmally slow in the evenings, almost useless.

Mostly minor drawbacks:
-The first person up in the morning has a very long wait for hot water--it took an hour to get hot one morning, though was generally fine.
-While the front desk resolved problems and were nice, the solutions were not up to international standards. For example, we were upgraded to a room for the first night for no extra charge, but after needed to switch rooms or pay the difference.
-Only one elevator occasionally led to long waits.
-Housekeeping was a bit careless some days during our stay--nothing major, but a bit annoying.
-The carpet in the hallways is a bit grungy.
-It does seem to cater to a younger clientele, but that didn't bother us.
-It can be hard to figure out how to turn off the music that is set to play when entering the room. But we grew attached to it after a few days.

I was a little underwhelmed, but my guests had high standards and were happy with the hotel, so that, combined with a reasonable price for this location in Beijing lead me to give in a 'very good' rating.

Overall, it is a good value for Beijing, and a place I may stay again. It's a good choice if you want a place with a bit of 'wow' factor at a bargain price and can live with the drawbacks.

Room Tip: There is not much difference between the rooms, so a standard room should be fine. The deluxe room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I are on day 4 of 6 days at this hotel and are having a great time! The desk staff are very pleasant and helpful and the hotel is very clean and fresh. Our room is very spacious and is made up nicely every day. We enjoy coming back here after a long day of walking and sightseeing; what I love is that we can't hear a thing once we're in our room.

Some have said the bathroom is a little funky but I don't see why. When you enter the bathroom the first area is the toilet area and next to it is a glass wall and door leading to the shower/tub area. The shower is basically the whole floor in front of the tub which is fully tiled in with a drain, and has a wonderful rainfall shower with great pressure. Next to that is a large tub. There is plenty of room for toiletries. And the towels aren't scratchy!

The sink area is in the entrance to the room and is a good size, with a hair dryer, tissues, toothbrushes, comb, soap, nice-smelling hand lotion, and shower caps (does anyone still use shower caps these days? Ha ha, my grandma told me she'd take them home and use them to cover bowls instead of saran wrap...).

The bed is a king and VERY comfortable after a long day, and there is a seating area with a small couch and table by the window. The room is nicely furnished with a modern twist and very spacious. Along the room is low shelving which houses the mini bar and tea/coffee with a kettle. Next to that is a desk and chair. The plug-ins accommodate North American plugs.

Breakfast - I think is good. Okay, it's not high end, but if you're tired of looking for food and eating steamed buns and soy milk on the street in the morning, for 7 bucks you can either eat in the breakfast room on the main floor or have it delivered to your room by filling out a card and hanging it on your door the night before. It includes toast, croissant, or small sandwiches, choice of egg, bacon, fruit, a small salad and yogurt.

We are using the subway like crazy here, which is very easy to understand, and Yong'anli station on Line 1 is an easy 10 minute walk away. Each trip costs about 30 cents! Although it's completely doable, I wouldn't recommend taking the train from the airport, only because there are a lot of stairs in the stations and if you get crowded into a train with baggage, it's just too much stress after a long trip. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel which cost 79 rmb (less than $13) and the cab driver had no problem getting us to our door from the main road. We printed off a map that included the address in Chinese.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a first-time visitor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple