“Delicious Fish Curry” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
New York City, New York
“Delicious Fish Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was a little late on lunch and started to feel like I wanted a nice bite of something. I had no lunch plans but had walked by East 33 at Raffles, so I popped in for a quick meal.
I was here at a bit of an odd time, so the restaurant was very quiet. It had an elegant, sophisticated feel to it, yet it was casual and modern. It had big glass windows into the lobby area, so it seemed bright and open.
The waitress and the hostess were extra warm and helpful. Maybe if even on a scale a bit TOO helpful if that is possible. Being I was alone, they brought me reading materiel and tried to make small talk with me about my trip. I really just wanted some peace and quiet and a good meal. However their efforts of friendliness and attentive service is far better than the alternative of grumpy service or a lack of service. So I really can't fault them for trying so hard.
Being Raffles is a hotel from Singapore, I guessed that their fish curry might be good and that is what I got.
I have to be honest, it probably was the best fish curry if not just stand alone the best curry I ever had. They asked how spicy I wanted it and it came perfectly to my request. It had a bit of heat to it, but nothing overwhelming. It was just perfect. The spices and curry was interesting and full of flavor.
It came with a nice side of fresh, crisp vegetables that made a made side to the heat of the curry.
I couldn't have asked for a nicer lunch. It was a pleasant surprise as I had not planned on enjoying lunch on this day. It was one of the better meals that I had on this trip and I would certainly come back for the fish curry.
I highly recommend East 33 and suggest when you go you try the fish curry.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Perth, Australia
“Great traditional Hotpot and lunch sets, good price too”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at the Raffles in Beijing and East 33 was available to us for breakfast as part of our stay but we had a dinner here one night.
It was a traditional chinese Hotpot, which they have from Thurs nights to Sunday nights. Sage Li from the hotel club lounge booked and accompanied us and introduced us to Colin, one of the restaurant maitre'd. He assisted us in choosing the right ingredients for the hotpot which they lovingly lay out chopped and ready for selection, from meats, seafoods, vegetables, mushrooms noodles of all different types. You can mix up your own sauce from chilli sauce, soy, xo, garlic & chilli sauce etc. herbs like chopped coriander, parsley, chives etc.
The. Colin brings out the hotpot which has a gas cooker under it for you to control the heat. You place your bowl of meats etc into the hotpot one person at a time, takes about 5 minutes in the seasoned oriental broth that they prepared. I had seafood, which my husband is allergic to, so he went first then I went second, so I got the added advantage of more flavour!.

• Visited January 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Breakfast only”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

The variety of food for breakfast was amazing. I would doubt if there was an unhappy person who ate there. For traditional Chinese through to typical western style breakfasts are available.

Visited September 2012
Fort Worth, TX
“Breakfast buffet not quite up to Hong Kong standards”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

Breakfast buffet not quite up to Hong Kong standards --- but close. Great variety of offerings: fruit, rolls, cheeses and cold cuts for a German breakfast. Eggs, ham and toast for an American breakfast. Noodles and vegetables for a Chinese breakfast. Or a taste of all of those and some Peking Duck and dumplings for a breakfast that will last you to dinner. Nothing was spectacular. Everything was very good, very plentiful, and very expensive. Saved us the time and expense of lunch so we felt it was worth it.

Visited October 2011