“Sometimes you just NEED a curry. This is a Punjabi oasis in Beijing.”

Punjabi Indian Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 12,643 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Nepali
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Yansha
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Sometimes you just NEED a curry. This is a Punjabi oasis in Beijing.”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Came here with my partner while staying in Beijing. Sometimes you just NEED a curry.

Location and parking 4/5
Got a taxi here, seemed like a nice street full of places to eat.

Food 5/5
We know our Indian food. This place would not be out of place from out home town of Birmingham, UK and the Balti Triangle. Massive portions, top notch..

Service 4/5
We did have to wait for a table. The staff were very efficient.

Atmosphere 4/5
Busy but nice.

Toilets N/A

Value 5/5
About 300 RMB for both of us. Excellent value.

Overall 5/5
Punjabi oasis in Beijing

Visited November 2012
punjabibj, Owner at Punjabi Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Hallie_Brosch,

How are you doing :) I totally remember you both coming to my restaurant. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, and putting out a good work for us :)

I am glad you took up upon my suggestion of trying Barolo! Chef Viscani's food IS amazing :) Hope you had a great trip in Beijing, and we hope to see you as soon as you are back in Beijing the next time. Our restaurant renovation is finally complete! !

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New Delhi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's in China? Food quality seemed like Chandni Chowk!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Wrote a very long review, and had the computer crash on me. So shall just summarise now.

Was there last week on Indian Embassy recommendation, when I was in the embassy for some work. Cannot be disappointed. Everything was very pleasant and fast service wise; the food quality and value for money was better than many places in New Delhi *which is too expensive now*. Recommend "Kristen's Kathi Roll", the menu is excellent with pictures for first timers.

Spend 138 RMB *w/ one beer*. Indian credit cards accepted. Owner was not present, but Indian manager and chinese girls were friendly and polite.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Vikram S
punjabibj, Owner at Punjabi Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Vikram S,

First of all, I would like to thank you for comparing our restaurant (food) to Chandni Chowk (food), since I think food wise, that is one of the oldest, most authentic and favorite place for many people, which has been consistent over the last many many years. I can even going to meet my Grandfather around there, and he used to take me to this 'parantha-waali-gali' :)

I was traveling out of station, but I am glad that my manager and staff were attentive and courteous to your dining needs.

I would also like to thank who ever it was in the new Indian embassy in Beijing, who recommended this restaurant to you. Hope to meet you on your next trip to Beijing.

Seattle, Washington
“Huge thrill if you're tired of Chinese and craving Indian”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

It's fairly pricey (144RMB for my early dinner, some of which I took as carryout for a later plane flight - but it did include drink, appetizer, main course and dessert)

Good solid Indian cooking - both Northern and Southern - they had masala dossa :-) - very similar to what we are used to in North America. It can be hard to find good Indian restaurants in NE Asia, so that was a thrill.

And there were enough Indian patrons there (along with westerners and a sprinkling of Chinese) that I'm pretty sure it has a good reputation.

Decor is pleasant and casual. Location is on 'Lucky Street' and quite easy to find by Beijing standards.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank ConnieDalian_
punjabibj, Owner at Punjabi Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear ConnieDalian_,

Thanks for putting the word out regarding Punjabi :) I am glad to know that your meal and overall experience at Punjabi was satisfactory. Yes, Masala Dosas :), we try to incorporate at least one or 2 dishes each from each part of India, since to serve only butter chicken and naan, would be quite inappropriate to call "Indian" food ! Gotta have the variety. :)

I hope that the food which you took away to eat later on the plane, came with a plate, spook, and paper napkin. We have made some changes to the way we deliver food, and try to keep it so there shall be no dirty dishes to wash later, or asking house keeping for plates if in in a hotel :) New environmental friendly packaging helps :)

Shanghai, China
“Nice food,pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Been there twice,both times when i was visiting Beijing.The restaurant is located at Liangmaqioa station,about 15 minutes walk from subway.Only on tuesdays,fridays and saturday ,u can enjoy buffet dinner.On tuesdays the buffet is 88rmb,true first time i visited,it was 68 rmb.If u wae wanna enjoy the buffet,better do a reservation or go there early as soon as it opens at around 1745,coz it can get very busy and there is a chance,u dont get place.I dont know if on days where there are no buffets,if the place is that busy.I have been there only on the buffet days.Coming to the food-nice food,one chicken,one lamb curry,2 veg curries,the veg and non veg snacks are there,salads ,naan and rice and free flow of coke,beer.Taste not bad.Well the variety limited if i compare it to the punjabi in shanghai but but but taste wise,price wise and food quality wise,it is far better than the one in shanghai.At least u dont find oil floating on top of the curries and all the curries having the same texture and taste.The staff very attentive,owner Mr Girish-very nice chap.If ever I am back to Beijing,will definitely go back there for the buffet.U can relax while enjoying nice food.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank saspire2011
Dear saspire2011,

Thank you for posting your views about our restaurant here; for others to see and try :) I would like to thank you personally for providing both positive as well as critical feedback.

Yes, regarding the 68-88 jump in the buffet, we had to increase it over a period of 2 years, to adjust according to the inflation and the price of all raw materials increasing a lot ( in some cases, 3 folds!) .

But like you said, price changes or not, we are concentrating more on quality than quantity :)
Since I cook sometimes, so we are always trying to experiment with recipes, as to reduce the use oil in our food :)

See you the next time you are in Beijing.

Inverness Scotland
“a very pleasant surpise”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

what can I say... Indian outside of India is somewhat tricky, and can be quite unpleasant, but this is yet another exception, service impecable, the food selection very impressive, well presented, owner did check twice to ensure all was well, and my guests were more than happy, It was nice to be able to order and be understood, dishes served with class and well prepared, and not made to make a tourist happy, the flavours and tastes were as close as one could expect outside of India. I will not nag on, as it is only complimentary, go there if you can, the price quality ration is just right, and you will I am sure be made welcome, I have and every time i go, it is always the same, busy or not, service and food is top class.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank gemsintheworld
Dear gemsintheworld,

Thank you for such a kind and attentive review. Unlike French of Italian cuisines, presentation tends to be a bit tricky for an Indian restaurant. Cuz if we go too abstract or modern, some customers might not be happy with too much of a change, and if we serve it home-style, then what's the point of going to a restaurant in the first place :)

The answer is finding a balance to have modern presentation but still the traditional flavors, without making a mess of both. Glad to know that we could help you and your guests have a nice time, and hopefully see you around in the near future :)