New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$140
$181
$269
$246
  • Pool
All reviewsbaochao hutonggarden roommr shi's dumplingsdumpling classshakshukabell towertiny alleynarrow walkwaylocal phonememory foamdrum towerprivate terracehutong areadumpling makingreal beijingunderfloor heatingother guests
Reviewed April 15, 2013

First time to Beijing and found my hotel on tripadvisor. Like most of the reviews had a wonderful time. Great staff, wonderful breakfast and coffee. The location is very central and gives you a better appreciation of old Beijing being in the hutongs. Would also recommend making dinner reservations far in advance for Black Sesame Kitchen which is within walking distance.

2  Thank eareva
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I know the word ‘Oasis’ has been used in past reviews to describe this little gem of a hotel but I could not think of another word that described it better.

It was late at night (10:30 pm) when we arrived at the hotel. I had arranged a private car pickup at the airport that I thought was very reasonable. The Hutong was dark and the pollution very heavy, when we got out of the car we heard noises and arguments from the places in the Hutong. It was a very small alley leading us to the Orchid that was full of pedal bikes – we could barely get our luggage by. I was prepared for this as I had read the reviews but I had not told my husband what to expect so I think he was a bit nervous.

When we opened the door to the Orchid it was like a breath of fresh air. Once we were inside we did not hear any noises or smell the pollution from outside the hotel. The staff took our luggage and brought it directly to our room. The hotel had just finished a wine tasting evening for their guests and a few people will still in the lounge area having a nice time. We were greeted by the Reception Manager, she offered us a glass of the wine that they tasted that evening and sat with us in the lounge chatting with us a little about Beijing. She could tell we were tired by the long day of travel so she suggested we buy a bottle of wine to enjoy over the next few days in our room... which we did.

We stayed in the Yang Room – which I think is one of the larger rooms. The room was a decent size, limited storage but I was not expecting much more. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The weather was cool when we stayed there and we never had problems with the temperature in the room. It took a while for the water to heat up in the shower and it did not stay hot for very long – but once again that is something you accept when you are staying in a smaller ‘cultural’ hotel. The Apple TV was very interesting (I have not seen that before)… it was hit and miss… some movies you got some you did not… but that was OK as we were so tired from the days we did not have a lot of time to watch TV. The roof top terrace of this room was very nice and would be a definite treat if the weather would have been better. But the weather did not stop us from enjoying a glass of wine up there… we just bundled up a bit.

We thought breakfast and coffee were very good. They had several choices so you did not have to have the same thing 2 times in a row… unless you wanted to. It was busy and since no one could sit outside you had to sit with other guests. But we enjoyed this as it gave us a chance to meet and chat with the other guests about their experiences in Beijing.

We had arranged a driver via the hotel to take us to the Great Wall… yes, it was maybe a bit pricier than finding a driver via another source but I trusted the hotel and sometimes it is worth the cost to feel comfortable with your arrangements.

In the neighbourhood we ate at the Southern Barbarian (it was OK) and Mr Shi’s Dumplings (it was very good). We had also arranged a private dining experience at the Black Sesame Kitchen (10 minute walk from hotel) and we really enjoyed that evening, lots of good food and wine.

We loved the Orchid Hotel experience and would definitely recommend it. It not only gave us a place to stay but it gave us a place to meet new friends and enjoy the local feel of Beijing. Many Thanks to Joel and The Orchid staff for giving us a warm welcome to Beijing and making our stay so pleasurable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank spuds
Reviewed April 11, 2013

It's not easy to find it but once you do you'll be delighted with this lovely little hotel hidden in a hutong. The rooms are small but have everything you need, breakfast is lovely and the staff are incredibly helpful. We booked our tour to the Great Wall through reception and were very happy (although the diversion to see the Olympic Stadium could have been missed!). Big thanks to the 2 French girls that work there for their restaurant and bar recommendations!

1  Thank SAB2015
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was our first visit to China and so we wanted the most authentic experience we could find. We didn't want to stay in a bland international hotel and we made the right choice in staying at The Orchid for 3 nights in April. This small but beautiful hotel is in the middle of the bustling, lively hutongs but as you enter the hotel you enter a calm and peaceful haven. Finding it is not easy, as it is tucked away at the end of an alley but that adds to its charm. The staff were attentive and helpful, the bedroom was comfortable and spotless and our room had a charming rooftop terrace.
We loved sitting in the bar area after coming back from dinner with a glass of wine and talking to the other guests about their day in the city and swapping notes. Being in the centre of Beijing it was easy to get everywhere from the hotel.
I noticed a previous comment mentioned the lack of hot water in room 10 (which was the room we stayed in) we found that if you ran the water for a few minutes before showering the water came through really hot and there was plenty of it. This is not a 5 star luxury hotel but it is a 5 star experience in a lovely, friendly hotel and I would strongly recommend that you try it!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I believe that the Orchid's location in the hutong enabled us to get a real authentic experience. I am really glad that we opted to stay in the hutong instead of a modern high-rise hotel. The Orchid met and exceeded all of the primary criteria that I look for in a hotel. 1) Good mattress 2) Clean room 3) good location. The room was extremely comfortable but not luxurious. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I liked the small hotel personal atmosphere. After returning from sightseeing each day, the staff asked about our day's adventures and always provided us with a good restaurant recommendation for dinner. It was fascinating walking around the hutong each evening. I believe that I probably would not have enjoyed Beijing as much as I did if I wasn't staying at The Orchid and had the experience of staying in the hutong. Great little boutique hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple