$128
$158
$145
Renaissance Hotels
  • Pool
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$231
$131
Trip.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $146/night.

$195
$321
$243
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbaochao hutonggarden roommr shi's dumplingsdumpling classshakshukabell towertiny alleynarrow walkwaylocal phonememory foamdrum towerprivate terracehutong areadumpling makingreal beijingunderfloor heatingother guests
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was our first visit to China and so we wanted the most authentic experience we could find. We didn't want to stay in a bland international hotel and we made the right choice in staying at The Orchid for 3 nights in April. This small but beautiful hotel is in the middle of the bustling, lively hutongs but as you enter the hotel you enter a calm and peaceful haven. Finding it is not easy, as it is tucked away at the end of an alley but that adds to its charm. The staff were attentive and helpful, the bedroom was comfortable and spotless and our room had a charming rooftop terrace.
We loved sitting in the bar area after coming back from dinner with a glass of wine and talking to the other guests about their day in the city and swapping notes. Being in the centre of Beijing it was easy to get everywhere from the hotel.
I noticed a previous comment mentioned the lack of hot water in room 10 (which was the room we stayed in) we found that if you ran the water for a few minutes before showering the water came through really hot and there was plenty of it. This is not a 5 star luxury hotel but it is a 5 star experience in a lovely, friendly hotel and I would strongly recommend that you try it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I believe that the Orchid's location in the hutong enabled us to get a real authentic experience. I am really glad that we opted to stay in the hutong instead of a modern high-rise hotel. The Orchid met and exceeded all of the primary criteria that I look for in a hotel. 1) Good mattress 2) Clean room 3) good location. The room was extremely comfortable but not luxurious. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I liked the small hotel personal atmosphere. After returning from sightseeing each day, the staff asked about our day's adventures and always provided us with a good restaurant recommendation for dinner. It was fascinating walking around the hutong each evening. I believe that I probably would not have enjoyed Beijing as much as I did if I wasn't staying at The Orchid and had the experience of staying in the hutong. Great little boutique hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susan11Nj
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our driver at first refused to even drive us down the hutong to The Orchid. My wife and I looked around and thought, 'Oh no, what have we done?' A reassuring phone call to the hotel later, and our car pulled up at this little alley way. Where are we? Is this safe?
At the end of the alley a sign above a door, 'The Orchid'. Once inside a huge sigh of relief as we entered a beautiful foyer and bar area. We were greeted by amazingly friendly staff, in our case Sophia, a lovely Russian girl. She showed us to our room (of which there are 10). The rooms while compact, are very rustic and at the same time modern. The bed was as amazingly comfortable, which you will be extremely grateful for after days of footwork around Beijing.
To have an understanding of where you are, The Hutongs are the 'Old Beijing' and in the heart of where you will want to be. A Hutong is a narrow street. As you walk down you will see closed double doors. Typically, these doors will open to serve 4 houses with their own communal courtyard. After 4 days, we came to realise that this area is very safe and central.
We could not fault our stay at The Orchid. The breakfast included was fantastic with great coffee and juices and the staff bent over backwards to accommodate any request.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have 'loft style' sleeping with quite steep steps. I had recently had knee surgery and had to be moved to a single level room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have travelled to China several times and I have always stayed in large western style hotels with all conforts and luxury features.
The last time I decided to experience a new concept and reserved a room at the Orchid.
Finding the hotel is quite difficult. I was with Chinese friends who were driving their car at night and they had a difficult time to find it. The street is one where you would not walk for any reason different than getting to the Orchid.
So do not expect a conventional accommodation in a mainstrem hotel. This is "the experience" of living in a real hutong. You cannot compare with anything else but walking where Chinese people live and stay in a small renovated paradise in the middle of normal homes and normal shops.
Inside, everything is new and pleasant. The atmosphere is unique and the rooms are well equipped and confortable without the excesses of Chinese five star hotels.
I would suggest to to experience the Orchid at your second trip to China to avoid being disappointed by the street and the outside of the hotel. But after you have experienced the Orchid it will be difficult to reserve a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank UDesideri
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Orchid in March. Everything about our stay exceeded expectations - the service, the staff, the location and the hotel itself. We will most definitely stay here again on our next trip to Beijing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple