“So nice, I'd like to keep it to myself!”
Review of The Orchid Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Orchid Hotel
Ranked #35 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed at the Orchid while on a two week business trip in January and loved it so much, I immediately booked it again for my return in April. If you're looking for a pool, gym and room service, then look elsewhere but having stayed at many of those large, impersonal five star business hotels, I was hoping for something more characterful and intimate and the Orchid fits the bill perfectly, with no compromise on the comforts of the larger luxury hotels. The Orchid's beds are the most comfortable of any hotel I have ever stayed at, anywhere in the world. Free VPN wifi provides fast unblocked internet access, a real boon in China. Breakfasts are delicious and distinctly 'Pacific rim' in style and though the Orchid does not have a full kitchen, the staff will bring in delicious food from any of the nearby restaurants. The staff and owners, Joel and Youngcall, are so friendly, helpful and sociable that I feel as though I'll be returning to visit old friends. Part of the Orchid's charm is that it only has a few rooms and now that word is out, booking well in advance has become absolutely essential. If that was not already the case, I'd be very tempted to keep it entirely to myself!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Cavalli-London

Reviewed March 24, 2012

This will be the best review ever written for a place almost stayed in. As someone very familiar with tripadvisor, I found the most perfect place to stay in Beijing. So perfect that even though it was holi in India when we were deciding to go, the reviews of The Orchid made me choose Beijing. In March, that is saying a lot already.

It also happened that we were going to Beijing the same time as a National Congress was held. This, and the proximity of TO to an airforce base, led their business to be shut down at a moments notice, during our planned stay. I received an email that we couldnt stay, 3 hours before we were headed to the airport.

Normally, this would have been a disaster in any country, let alone one you dont speak the language for and selected your special hotel accordingly. Not a problem. Joel and his staff unbelievably did all the following:
- organised accommodation at a comparable (but I dont thing anything can compare to TO) location
- still sent The Orchid driver to pick us up at the airport and take us to their competitor's hotel
- took our calls at midnight to arrange all of this
- still helped us with booking day trips to The Great Wall, Summer Palace, etc
- invited us to their hotel for a lovely glass of wine & conversation

All for people no longer staying with them . . . . amazing. It just proves how lovely and accommodating they are. Imagine if we had stayed with them! I probably never would have left! The Orchid - thank you again for your generous help.

As long as you arent the kind of person that would prefer to stay at a large hotel chain on a main street over a boutique hotel in with the locals, do not hesitate for a second to stay here. Beijing has amazing things to see all day and night. But if you ever need an actual break on your holiday, TO is the kind of place that you may have just as good a time hanging out, reading, having wine / tea / beer in a lovely setting with an awesome soundtrack, on a busy street where you will actually feel like you got a sense of real life there (and the convenient trendy spots and shopping etc that even seasoned travelers appreciate as tourists is near by).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cocorotsie
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Orchid for 1 week this March. The hotel is very unique. It takes a few minutes to become aclimated as it is not your typical chain hotel or touristic area. That said, you have to jump in to Beijing with both feet when staying in a hutong. The hotel is quite and cozy, easily accessible to main areas. The staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is small so it never felt over run with people. If you are considering staying there, go for it!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank triptastic
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just spent 5 nights. Wonderful, cozy, and safe. Greatest staff. The owner went above and beyond. Enjoyed every single moment. I recommend this quaint little spot for a true China experience.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank VictoriaRiggs5363
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Dont be intimidated by the narrow walkway leading to the front door. Beyond lies a recently built 9 room hotel with all the mod cons any traveller would need including in room complimentary high speed internet, bottomless fruit basket, quality toiletries and modern breakfast menu.
The establishment is run by Joel, a fluent english, french & chinese speaking canadian and his lovely Chinese wife. Staff are all multi lingual and its so easy to get things organised as there is nothing lost in translation.
As we were due to arrive in Beijing at around 1AM, we decided to prebook a driver through the hotel to collect us from the airport on the chilly 8 degree C morning. Well worth it as you dont know where you will end up if your taxi driver cant find the place. We were warmly greeted upon our arrival and shown the room. Bed ULTRA comfortable. Just what we needed for our six night stay. Not like the typical beds found in most hotels in china. There is no street noise detectable from the room.
It was no problem to have maps printed off and notes and addresses written in chinese to show drivers our destinations and home again.
There is a small but nice bar at the hotel where quality wines and other drinks are available.
Plenty of good local eateries within 100 metres of the room including Mr Shui's Dumplings, A BBQ place and a nice restaurant next to the hostel down the alley. All your necessities from beer to fruit can be purchased from several "hole in the wall" vendors located within close proximity, all at local (not tourist) prices.
From here you are close to everything, right amongst it!
If I were to revisit Beijing, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Bozz56
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I chose to stay here after reading rave reviews on trip advisor. A decision I found to most certainly be the right one.

On arrival in the wee hours of the morning, I was welcomed in to a warm and friendly environment out of the cold. My visit in Beijing was very rushed, staying just two nights, and The Orchid was a welcome oasis at the end of each jam packed day.

The room was a good size, with a super comfy bed, apple tv box overflowing with a varied mix of recent and older movies and tv series. I had even been upgraded without knowing to a garden room which had a small courtyard of it's own.

Fantastic location, very close to the Bell & Drum towers which can be seen from the top deck of the hotel, and also nearby to the Houhai lakes and hutong area.

The Orchid is very well priced and includes a nice breakfast selection in it's dining room upstairs where you can meet and talk with other travellers. The staff are fantastic, and it almost feels like a family environment.

After just arriving home after a 10-day trip to Beijing, Qingdao and Shanghai, Beijing was definately my preferred location and WHEN I return, I will most definately be staying at the Orchid again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kiwijodie
Reviewed February 14, 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed at the Orchid in January 2012 for 5 nights.

General:
The orchid is somewhat hidden away inside Baochao Hutong but it is fairly straight forward to find if you have proper directions. The hotel itself is exceptionally well designed given the cozy space it occupies. We were given a very warm welcome and introduced to all the amenities. Each night upon return, the hotel felt like an oasis in the middle of a bustling Hutong.

Location:
We couldn't have asked for a better situated place to stay. The lake area (Houhai) with abundance of restaurants, bars and other stores were minutes away by foot and Joel was kind enough to print off a map for our convenience. The tourist Hutong (NanLuoGuXiang) was literally minutes up the main road and is definitely worth a visit. The forbidden city area can also be reached by foot although it was freezing cold the morning we decided to visit so we took a cheap cab ride there instead. Basically, most basic needs and wants can be found around the hotel itself. Being inside a Hutong, The Orchid really does provide quite an authentic experience of Beijing and its neighborhoods.

The Room:
We stayed in the three gardens room. The room came with fresh water and fruit (refilled), which was convenient as winter in Beijing makes the air very dry. The room came with Apple TV, loaded with an abundance of movies which we enjoyed each evening (Although some movies were without sound, it was not a problem given the selection). The bed and pillows were very comfortable (memory foam). The bathroom and shower were very clean and comfortable, which was definitely an essential for us.

Breakfast:
There's a variety of breakfast choices to suit your taste and if you have to leave too early for a proper breakfast, Joel would happily pack you some pastries and fruit to take away. Definitely no complaints here.

Service:
the service cannot be faulted here as Joel and his staff were very happy to help out with anything we asked, including booking transport, restaurants etc.

We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Orchid and if you're up for some exploring around a great part of Beijing, then the Orchid would be great for you.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple