$128
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$156
$121
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $149/night.

$145
  • Restaurant
$342
$265
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $296/night.

All reviewsbaochao hutonggarden roommr shi's dumplingsdumpling classshakshukabell towertiny alleynarrow walkwaylocal phonememory foamdrum towerprivate terracehutong areadumpling makingreal beijingunderfloor heatingother guests
Reviewed February 14, 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed at the Orchid in January 2012 for 5 nights.

General:
The orchid is somewhat hidden away inside Baochao Hutong but it is fairly straight forward to find if you have proper directions. The hotel itself is exceptionally well designed given the cozy space it occupies. We were given a very warm welcome and introduced to all the amenities. Each night upon return, the hotel felt like an oasis in the middle of a bustling Hutong.

Location:
We couldn't have asked for a better situated place to stay. The lake area (Houhai) with abundance of restaurants, bars and other stores were minutes away by foot and Joel was kind enough to print off a map for our convenience. The tourist Hutong (NanLuoGuXiang) was literally minutes up the main road and is definitely worth a visit. The forbidden city area can also be reached by foot although it was freezing cold the morning we decided to visit so we took a cheap cab ride there instead. Basically, most basic needs and wants can be found around the hotel itself. Being inside a Hutong, The Orchid really does provide quite an authentic experience of Beijing and its neighborhoods.

The Room:
We stayed in the three gardens room. The room came with fresh water and fruit (refilled), which was convenient as winter in Beijing makes the air very dry. The room came with Apple TV, loaded with an abundance of movies which we enjoyed each evening (Although some movies were without sound, it was not a problem given the selection). The bed and pillows were very comfortable (memory foam). The bathroom and shower were very clean and comfortable, which was definitely an essential for us.

Breakfast:
There's a variety of breakfast choices to suit your taste and if you have to leave too early for a proper breakfast, Joel would happily pack you some pastries and fruit to take away. Definitely no complaints here.

Service:
the service cannot be faulted here as Joel and his staff were very happy to help out with anything we asked, including booking transport, restaurants etc.

We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Orchid and if you're up for some exploring around a great part of Beijing, then the Orchid would be great for you.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank David W
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We totally enjoyed our stay at the orchid. The place is really unique. Nice design, good food, reasonable prices, great staff and perfect location!
Baochao hutong is a very interesting place where traditional chinese life mixes up with fancy new stuff..
if you go there please don'r skip a dinner at the baochao restaurant which had just reopened when we were there and has spectacular (and cheap) food, maybe the best one we had in China..

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank claudia m
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This place is right in the middle of a hutong district so if you're interested in culture, everyday Chinese life people watching, and getting off the really busy streets for something a little quieter, this place is great. It was a little difficult to find at first just because of the nature of the hutongs (lots of small streets) and we couldn't get a cab to stop for us when we left the subway stop so just make sure you print a map of the area (the address alone didn't help us). The rooms are cute and quaint, simple modesty instead of flashy luxury, with a clean and modern feel. The grounds in general are small and charming- lots of plants and flowers and a balcony with some views where you can lounge with a drink or meet the other guests. The breakfast is delcious! The staff was incredibly helpful- they helped us catch a cab when we were having trouble, they helped us not get ripped off by a bike taxi who decided to triple his price when we got there (by coming outside and translating for us), and they also helped make reservations for an acrobatics show and let us keep our bags there all day after we checked out. It's a good location being right by the bell and drum towers and also a 15 min. walk to the subway station. The only thing making it "very good" instead of "excellent" is the overall value, as it seemed just a little pricey based on the room itself. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it, especially if you're looking for something different from a standard big hotel with no character.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mll9w
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We were so pleased to have found this hotel on tripadvisor! It is literally smack dab in the middle of a Hutong, which was the best place to be in Beijing. We felt like every time we stepped out of our hotel, we were immersed in the local culture. The staff is great, very helpful and eager to please. Because it is still such a new hotel, they are working some kinks out, none of which would lower my review rating. I feel that the daily cleaning could have been a bit more thorough, and also, they didn't accept credit cards, which is a pain when your total amount due is greater than the total amount you are allowed to withdraw in one day at an ATM.

There are only 10 or so rooms, so it feels very intimate. Breakfasts are great! We stayed in one of the Garden Rooms and loved it...very spacious. Would have been nice if the bathroom was larger though. Also, there wasn't really a good place to hang towels, so they might think to add a few more hooks in the bathrooms. Also, there was no clock in there...atleast not that we found. All the rooms come equipped with apple tv already loaded with shows and movies...this was a bonus at the end of the day!

Overall, excellent hotel, great value, and superb location! I would return here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We loved the Garden Room
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BeachFrontOnly
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I had stayed at over four of the 5-star establishments in Beijing prior to taking my friends recommendation on The Orchid and could not have chosen wiser. It is a small and cozy hotel with all of the modern amenities one would need in a room but its the staff that sets this place far above and apart from its peers. I will however note that their beds are the best dam choice offered in Beijing and I can not remember a more comfortable one in "any" of the countries I have paid to stay in. To give an example of how much they care about your stay, I will tell the tale of how I booked to go to the Great Wall but nearly missed it. I had booked a tour to the further less traveled part of the great wall but could not find the meeting area. After frantically running around the entire Hutong are and missing the cut off time I came back to the hotel and told them how I blew it. They were not as deterred as I because the manager said to me "get your gear and Ill get you there the fastest way one can go". Well in a matter of seconds he threw me keys to a bicycle, helped me dodge traffic and ended our chaotic mad dash in front of the tour group just before they embarked. If not for him I would have missed my trip and if at another hotel I'm certain the response or sentiments would have been "that's too bad but it's not my problem". Again I can not thank you guys enough for going/bicycling the extra mile in this case on my behalf. I look forward to my next stay and anyone else considering your place should as well.

Cheers,