“A Hidden Gem In Beijing”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #16 of 6,547 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Red Wall Garden Hotel proved to be one of the highlights in Beijing, China for so many reasons. The hotel offers a private car pick up from the airport for guest staying 3 nights or more; a great bargain since the airport is about an hour away. Upon arrival, the entire staff of the lobby greets you with a smile and a refreshing cup of tea. The process is quick, efficient and friendly. The facility is an intimate complex with great asian designs and colors to give a sense of nostalgic China. The rooms are bright, clean and spacious with windows that open out to the patio, giving a sensation of even more space. The Red Wall Garden Hotel is also centrally located where guests can walk less than 30 minutes to the Forbidden City (The Palace Museum) and Tianamen Square. During the evenings, a night market filled with Deep Fried Scorpions, Centipedes, Tarantulas, etc. is only a 12 minute walk away! Perhaps the greatest strength to this beautiful hotel is the high level of customer service in a city where manners are a cultural conflict. Every single staff member one comes across at the Red Wall Garden Hotel greets you and are happy to offer any assistance. We even had the opportunity to meet the Manager, Robert, on his day off who came in to help regulate renovations...on his day off!!! At this time I would like to compliment the office staff to the highest degree who were always friendly, efficient and all around pleasant to be around! I apologize if I am spelling her name incorrectly but Jin, a lovely young girl was always giving us great directions and suggestions. At one point she even pre-paid for a taxi cab for us on line, a position she did not have to put herself in! Thank you jin!!!!

Overall, the hotel is a great little place that is convenient to all the sites, the inclusive breakfast (Western and Eastern food) is delicious and the customer service could not be any better! Cabs may have a difficult time navigating to and through the narrow streets but the main street is just a couple of blocks away. I definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Have the name of the hotel written in Chinese for local cab drivers who may have a difficult time fi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lordgin1
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear Lordgin,

What can I say but THANK YOU for taking the time in writing such a positive review about our hotel and inform fellow trip advisor users. We take great pride in taking care of customers and we know we are not always perfect but your review will make us all very proud.

You very well noticed the work which was going on which is all part of our new Courtyard Bistro development. The courtyard basically is being upgraded and will look the same but the menu will change slightly by serving authentic dishes from various regions in China and we are also building a small noodle kitchen in the courtyard where our customers will be able to see fresh noodles being prepared and cooked, exciting times ahead for our hotel.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel and you ight be interested to know i am responding to your review on my day off :) ha ha

Best wishes from everybody at the Red Wall garden Hotel

Reviewed April 23, 2014

After a long flight and an impromptu trip to the Summer Palace what a treat it was to arrive at the Red Wall Garden. Check in was smooth and we were shown to our room.
The room we had was at the back of the hotel and just what we wanted very comfortable and very quite. We had a view over the roof tops.

The hotel is right in the heart of the Huttons. It couldn’t be in a better location. There are a few small shops just 2 mins walk from the hotel for water & the odd beer and to get to the main streets you are only looking at 5 mins walk. The area is full of hustle and bustle but we felt totally safe at all times.

Before we arrived we asked the hotel if they could make dinner reservations for us as we were struggling to contact the restaurants directly. This they were happy to do and at check in we were given the reservation confirmations – very efficient.

We did eat in the hotel two nights and this was very very good. In fact all the food we had in the hotel was of a very high standard.

The courtyard is a great place to relax with a jasmine tea or something a little stronger if you like.

WiFi access was good and the staff were more than happy to help with any request no matter how small. Our experience was only of a very friendly & efficient staff making sure our stay was just perfect.

We only wished we had a few nights at the end of our trip to stay here again.

Thank you so much we had a great stay.

Dear Oundle-Owis,

Thank you for taking the time and write such a nice review about our boutique hotel and inform fellow trio advisor users.

I am taking particular note that you enjoyed the food as you might be interested to note that we are launching our new menu next month which has dishes from all over China plus we will have live noodle cooking in our courtyard whereby the chef will be making fresh noodles.

I am glad you made it home safe to beautiful Cambridgeshire and do hope I will be able to welcome you back to the red wall garden hotel

Best wishes from everybody at the Red Wall Garden Hotel.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were so impressed by this hotel. We were welcomed by the staff who went out of their way to make us feel so comfortable. Location was great. Room was really lovely and very clean. Buffet breakfast was very nice. The hotel is down a narrow road and taxis are not keen on driving down their but will drop you very close to hotel. There was nothing negative about this hotel it is definitely worth staying at and we would definitely stay their again without hesitation. Thank you again to all of the staff you made us feel like family.

1  Thank Jenant143

Dear Jenant,

You are still part of the Family!!!!! Thank you for writing such a positive review about our hotel and inform fellow trip advisor users. We know we are not perfect but we certainly aim to be perfect so when we receive such a great review everybody becomes very proud.

I am glad you made it home safe to Brisbane and do hope you will come back to our Hotel in Shijia Hutong.

Best wishes from all your family members…….

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at the Red Wall Garden for 5 nights and were delighted with the room, location and service. The hotel is designed in the traditional courtyard style and feels more like a friend's house than a hotel. Our room was spacious and clean and was furnished traditionally. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've slept on.
I was particularly impressed with the staff. My partner felt ill on our second day, and the reception staff found an English speaking doctor, wrote him a get well card and prepared a home remedy to make him feel better. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
The hotel is small (I think around 30 rooms) and quiet which makes the experience of staying there intimate and relaxing. It is also located in a hutong, which we enjoyed as it made our stay more interesting than if we had been on the main road.
Breakfast was delicious, with a range of both Chinese and western food options, just get there earlier rather than later, or the dumplings get cold.
I would absolutely recommend the Red Wall Garden and would definitely stay there again if we return to beijing.

1  Thank Tracey P

Dear Tracey,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about our boutique hotel and inform fellow trip advisor users. I will certainly put your positive review on our staff notice board as we take great pride when we meet with our customers expectation.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Red wall Garden hotel in the not to distant future.

best wishes from all of us at the hotel.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a week. It's a beautiful courtyard hotel in hutong not far from the main road. It's a very comfortable and quiet hotel, which made me feel like I stayed in my friend's house instead of a hotel.
The staffs were very attentive and helpful, always serviced with a smile. All service is done smoothly and quickly. I like that the staffs can remember their customers. When I asked for direction to go somewhere, they always asked after I returned to the hotel how was the trip to the place I went. (they remembered where I wanted to go).
Breakfast was very good and plentyful, with both Chinese and Western breakfasts. There is wifi in all hotel's area.
Travel tip: Subway line 5, Dengshikou station is the closest station. Either take exit A or C. Exit A is closer but I have to cross road to enter Shijia Hutong. Exit C is a bit further down the road but it's on the same side as a hutong.
If taking taxi, I tell a driver to go to Shijia Xiaoxue (Shijia Primary School) instead of a hotel. It's a famous primary school and they all know.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nutmeg2008

Dear Nutmeg,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel and inform fellow trip advisor users. It is very much appreciated. Also thank you for informing fellow readers how easy it is to get to our hotel using the efficient metro system in Beijing and how to walk to the hotel only a few minutes away.

I am glad you got home safely to your home in Bangkok , another amazing city to visit in Asia. I hope to be able to welcome you back soon to Shijia Hutong.

Best wishes from all at The Red Wall Garden Hotel/

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed here for 2 days based on tripadvisor recommendations. The hotel is in a quiet street in a central location. It has a traditional chinese style compared to an international chain. Our room was large and comfortable overlooking the courtyard. As it was our anniversary, the staff put a plant some food and wine in our room on arrival which was a pleasant surprise. The staff were very helpful and organised a trip to the Great Wall of China for us. We had breakfast in the hotel which was excellent as there was a wide choice of asian and european food . Overall we would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear BBM,

Thank you so much for writing such a positive review and inform fellow tripadvisor users. We take strive to be perfect at the Red wall Garden Hotel and it is always such a pleasure for all of us when we meet the expectation of our customers.

I am glad you made it home safely to middlessex and hope you will choose the hotel again for your next anniversary celebration. Again congratulations from all of us.

best wishes

The team at Red Wall Garden Hotel

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were beyond impressed by this sweet hotel. Walking into it's peaceful courtyard from the busy Beijing streets was immediately relaxing. The rooms and lobby areas were beautiful. The staff was so attentive, and genuinely kind and helpful. We had especially good experience with Aida, Coco and a young waitress whose name I can't remember. They all went above and beyond to help us out. Several in our group had allergies and it seemed that every member of the staff remembered them, from stepping into the restaurant to recommending places to eat. As soon as we came to breakfast the first morning, the waitress immediately showed us what we could and couldn't eat. And the food was delicious - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Amazing fresh tomato soup, delicious fresh fruit and fruit juices. The first night I had an issue with the smell of smoke in my room. I told Coco at the front desk and by the time we came back at the end of the day the smell was completely gone, without a trace. I don't know how they did it. We were in the western suite, and it was beautiful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Beijing. It made our trip so awesome.

Room Tip: Western Suite on the top floor was great if you're with a group. But keep in mind there's no...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank CJM524

Whooooow "Beyond impressed"……… THANK you for writing such a great compliment and tell all fellow trip advisor users. I will certainly mention this to all the staff and in particular to the people you mention in your review.

We like to think we are one big family here and take great pride when people are so happy staying with us. You might be interested to learn that we will start our new Courtyard bistro menu next month with dishes from all over china and also have noodle dishes cooked live in our courtyard.

I am glad you made it home safe to Orlando and hope you will also inform Micky Mouse in the magic Kingdom of our little hotel :)

Best wishes

From everybody at the Red Wall Garden hotel.