“Lovely Courtyard Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
Berne
“Lovely Courtyard Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I justed stayed at Red Wall Garden Hotel for 5 nights and very much enjoyed it.

The location is very good & central, and very quiet at night. The hotel is in a small hutong, i had the window open at night and no traffic noise, no "big city noise", altought the hotel is in central Beijing. Dengshikou subway station (on line 5) is just a couple of minutes away. The subway is the best way to travel around Beijing. Wangfujing shopping street is about 10 minutes away, and its about 25 minutes to walk to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.

The courtyard of the hotel is a nice place to have a tea or a beer, and it should be great to have breakfast there in summer.

The rooms and the whole hotel are decorated in a nice old chinese style, with wooden floors, traditional furnishing and a lot of small details.

Breakfast is a buffet, with a quite big choice of chinese dishes and a smaller choice of western dishes. Some of the chinese dishes change every day, the western dishes dont, its the same every day. This is the only thing about Red Wall Garden that could do with some improvement in my opinion. It would be nice to have some cheese, and bread (other than toast), and maybe also change the pastries on offer. Also, better coffee would be great.

A big thank you to all the friendly and helpful staff at Red Wall Garden hotel. From the nice young man who picked me up at the airport, to the lovely ladies at reception (especially pennapa), to the very nice people in the restaurant.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank nathalieyes
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Nathalieyes,

Thank you from all of us for writing such a great review and inform fellow trip advisor users. All the things you wrote about the staff is what we take great pride in and I will certainly inform all the people and post your review on our staff notice board.

You might be interested to know that from next month we will be making fresh noodles in the courtyard cooked in from of you and trying to create that perfect chinese peaceful setting in the heart of the city.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to our little hotel in Shijia Hutong.

Best wishes from all of us at the Red Wall Garden Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Loved this hotel. It is a little off the beaten track in that it is in a narrow side street (hutong) and not on the main road. But it is only a few minutes walk from Wangfujing Street (the main shopping area). Was welcomed in very well - indeed all the staff are really friendly and helpful. My room was large and comfortable, nice wooden floors and a vast bed, with a good bathroom and everything working as it should. The rooms are arranged around a nice central courtyard, just right for sitting out enjoying a cold beer. Good breakfast with a choice of Chinese or European, good coffee and eggs cooked to order. My only criticism is that the dinner menu is a bit limited but the food I had was cooked and served well. Overall much better than the bland skyscraper intercontinental chain hotels - actually felt as though I was in China. Next time I am in Beijing this is where I will stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Chris H
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your positive review and inform fellow trip advisor users. It is always appreciated when people take the time and give the hotel such a positive outlook.

I like to explain to fellow travelers with regard to being off the "beaten track" I would like to point out that we are bang in the middle of Beijing ,within walking distance of the forbidden city and Tianeman Square and within 5 minute walk of Denchikou underground station which takes you anywhere in Beijing. It would be comparable to say when in London being located in Soho but want to be in Kensington as this is an enormous city like London.

In terms of the menu we have 96 items on the menu but we limit the number of western dishes to 6 as we want to offer a true chinese experience. You might be interested to know that we are changing the style of service and actually offer a new menu with authentic chinese cooking from the various different regions in China plus we will have live noodle dishes made in the courtyard. All will be saved in a bistro style environment.

Once again thank you for staying with us and i am glad you made it back save to beautiful Malvern

Best wishes

Robert .
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed here as a family with three young children and the staff took care of the whole family in a very professional, caring, friendly and personalised way - which made such a difference . We enjoyed the 'boutique touch' of this hotel, the typical decoration and functional set-up and its central location. We loved the fact that the room was big enough to accommodate us all. The food was great. Would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Bea,

Thank you very much for taking the time and writing such a positive review and inform fellow trip advisor users. We are very happy that you acknowledge the fact that we try to take care of people;e as individuals and as families and i will certainly inform the team of this.

You might be interested to note that we will be introducing a new menu at the restaurant and we will offer Chinese dishes from all over China in a bistro style setting. We will also be preparing fresh noodles in the courtyard so exciting times ahead.

We are glad you made it home safe to paris and hope you will come back to our little hotel in Shijia Hutong.

Regards from all at the Red Wall garden hotel
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Gentle Chinese feel. Nice character building. Room was a double storey apartment on the courtyard within easy striding distance to restaurant. Suited our taste better than one of those gigantic new build hotels. We walked to Forbidden City and Tiannamen Square and to a local Peking Duck restaurant. Grub at hotel was fine - nothing spectacular but OK. Staff were all warm and welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tom,

Thank you very much for your positive review about our boutique homeland inform fellow world travellers. I am very happy to hear about the staff making you feel welcome. You might be interested to know that we will be launching a new bistro style menu next month whereby the customer will be able to choose dishes from all around China.

I am glad you got him safely to Sevenoaks and hope to welcome you back again should travel take you to these Asian parts of the world.

Regards

Robert
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in Shijia Hutong, which is relatively central located. The typical Beijing courtyard with Chinese traditional decoration is definitely a sell here. The room was fairly spacious. Even though most of the staff here were down to earth and eager to please all the time. The not-so-clean bathroom was really a turn-off for us. My son loves the wood tub. Since we sensed some suspicious smell the moment we entered the room, I used the wiper to clean up before he climbed in. I was shocked to the the wiper was all darkened by mold. The wood floor was dusty which may be due to the weather in Beijing. So I cleaned up the floor. And the second day, with my presence, as requested, the cleaning staff briefly mobbed the floor within less than 1 minute. I gave up asking him to do it again and just clean up again myself. With a kid, I hate moving around for a short trip. But I still regretted that I did not change a hotel when my friend offered so since she booked the hotel and she did not like the smell of the room.
Breakfast buffet has limited choice but good and adequate enough for a good start.
Driver who took us to airport was super sweet and had good skills.

Overall, I am still choked by the sanitary issue of the hotel, especially when I am staying in a smaller size but spotless hotel room in Japan now. I don't think I may want to stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Xiafei C
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Xiafei,

Thank you for taking the time to write to trip advisor but obviously i am horrified to learn about your bathroom experience which would be totally unacceptable and i will deal with immediately. You will note from most of our reviews that this is a highly unusual situation but nevertheless no excuses. We know we are not perfect but i can assure you we strive to be perfect but and on this occasion we let you down.

You might be interested to know that with regard to the breakfast we will be changing the breakfast a little. On a day to day to day basis we will be changing the items so there is a change each morning.

I am glad you enjoyed our concept and our staff who do tend to make it happen most of the time.It is very rare our staff show a lack of interest or thoroughness. A shame we did not meet as I do tend to meet many of our customers and i could have hopefully rectified the situation much better. I would appreciate of you could contact me so i can learn a little more detail and discuss what else I can do.

Best wishes

Robert van Eerde
CEO
Hspot Hotels (China)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I went for a free and easy trip with my family. Good location of the hotel. Easy to locate the places we wanted to go. The hotel service is good. All their staff always put on a big smile on their face. I will recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: There is a free broadband internet access service!