“Charming Hotel - a little throw back in time...”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #21 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed March 15, 2014

If you like modern 'glass & brass' hotels, this is definitely not for you - if you like lots of character and charm and an old world feel then you're in the right place.
We booked this hotel entirely on Trip Advisor recommendations and we were not disappointed, although I really couldn't see why it would be number one in Beijing - it's very good and should be in the top ratings but I can't see everyone appreciating it's charm.
We were lucky to be upgraded to a very spacious room on the 2nd floor - great, except for the 3 flights of stairs which needed to be climbed - luckily they porter lugged the heavy cases, as there is no lift. The room had a king size comfortable bed and lots of antique lacquered furniture; also a bar fridge, heating (windows were also openable), a couch and loads of space for luggage.
The bathroom was reasonably modern; no bath, but a huge walk in double shower.
The walls of the hotel are not thick and the floor boards are not carpeted so it was possible to hear other guests arriving in late at night or leaving early in the morning. Didn't cause us much distress however - we were more aware of the loud music coming from a nearby local school, which obviously does Tai Chi classes at about 7am each morning!
After a bit of searching, my husband found 3 channels transmitting in English, including CNN, but they did sometimes 'freeze' - perhaps the Govt didn't like what was being broadcast.
Couldn't get wifi working so the hotel sent their IT guy up to the room and we plugged the laptop into their connection - worked fine then - however, no Facebook - banned in China apparently...
Only had breakfast on one of the 4 mornings we spent there - not particularly good value at about $20 per person for tea, toast, fruit, egg and bacon - lots of other selections of Asian style breakfast if you're adventurous!
The staff were excellent - spoke great English and couldn't do enough to help, They organized a tour guide for us when we arrived, to visit the Great Wall and Summer Palace. However, the guide, Alice, proved to not know much at all and even went to sleep on the way back - she told us very little and didn't even know how long the wall was!! Her driver, Peter, seemed to know more. Not that any of that was the hotel's fault.
The hutong location is tucked away in a little narrow back street and apparently the taxis don't much like coming down there, so we walked a fair amount of the time (better for the waistline anyway) and found the local station only 5 mins away - it was very easy to use and ridiculously cheap.
We would definitely recommend this hotel, but would caution that it's not for everyone...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rbinsydney
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear rbinsydney:
It is always rewarding to read a positive review from a seasoned traveler like yourself. We very much appreciate the praise and thank you for pointing out some areas that we will try to improve for future guests.
It is true that the selection of our English-speaking TV channels is very limited at the moment (HBO, CNN, Sports). We are working with the district government to obtain permission to increase the amount of international channels and are switching providers to provide the quality of the TV reception. As you correctly point out, there are some restrictions imposed by the authorities as far as access to certain media outlets, both on TV and on the internet. Facebook, for example, is not accesible by legal means in China.
Our breakfast buffet - 98RMB/US$15pp - consists of a selection of both Asian and Western dishes - when booking directly with us for 3+ nights, it is included in the room price, a great value.
Thank you for pointing out the challenges with your tour provider - we try to work only with the most safety-conscious and knowledgable companies when it comes to booking tours, so this is valuable feedback for us.
Again, we thank you for praising our staff and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Beijing,
Your Red Wall Garden Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

A TripAdvisor Member
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel because of all the good reviews. I was a little worried if all the reviews were genuine. After staying at the hotel for four nights, l can say that all the good reviews are true. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The breakfast was excellent and pick up from airport was relaxing. The rooms are normal size for an Asian hotel. If you want a large hotel room, you better stay in the USA.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear TripAdvisorMember:
Thank you very much for your kind review and validating the accuracy of our tripadvsior reviews. As all of us who travel frequently well know, it can be a little bit daunting to base your decision on someone else's subjective opinion; therefore, we are glad that you trusted your instinct and gave our little boutique hotel a try. And yes, our rooms are quite spacious and range from 27sqm (290sqft) for a standard room to 70 sqm (753sqft) for our Red Wall Suite.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel at the end of February for one week in a twin room with my mother. The room was spacious, plenty of space for us and our luggage, the beds were wonderfully comfortable, the bathroom was a good size, very clean and had a good shower with plenty of hot water! We slept very well at the hotel but were woken on a couple of occasions by the sound of other guests on the landing, the rooms are quite close together so if people arrive back late at night or leave very early in the morning its hard not to hear them coming and going unless you are a deep sleeper - which I am not! The wifi in the bedroom and around the hotel worked well, although all of the TV channels in our room were in Mandarin! The room was cleaned each day and we were given fresh towels each day and bottled water. On arrival there were lovely snacks waiting for us in the room with a welcome note as well as a letter recommending places to visit, restaurants and bars which was very helpful.

It was a fantastic base for us to explore Beijing, the subway station is just a 2 minute walk away and there are lots of interesting shops, restaurants and cafe's close by. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, it was lovely to be greeted at breakfast each morning by happy and efficient staff. The breakfast was well laid out with a variety of foods to choose from, western breakfast: with eggs, sausages & bacon, cereals, toast & pastries or a large choice of hot asian foods including dumplings! We were often spoiled for choice!! It was also lovely to chat with the hotel manager who was often at breakfast around the same time as us, he took a real interested in the happiness and comfort of the guests and he was happy to recommend to us places to visit and eat which was really helpful.

The decor of the hotel added a lot of character and atmosphere, very traditional in style with interesting art work and lots of information about Chinese Shadow puppetry on the 1st floor landing. In the reception area and on the top floor landing there were calligraphy sets to have a go at calligraphy... these little touches made the hotel feel special and really enhanced our experience, making us feel a little more immersed in elements of Chinese culture, we didn't feel that we had to go out hunting for art work, shadow puppets or calligraphy as we could have a taste of it right there at the hotel. The hotel also offers traditional massage but I didn't try this. The courtyard at the hotel was beautiful especially at night when the lanterns in the trees are lit up. It felt magical returning there at the end of a busy day, a calm, private paradise in the middle of a busy city! If it hadn't been so cold I would have enjoyed sitting outside there. there were bikes at the hotel which guests could use to travel about the city as many locals do but we weren't brave enough to try this and the weather was a bit on the chilly side. I imagine it would be lots of fun in warmer weather.

We ate one evening meal at the hotel and also enjoyed the bar on another evening, both occasions were very pleasant, the food was enjoyable, the service was good, they have a good selection of wines and beers and the atmosphere was great... the bar is small and offers the possibility to chat to other guests and compare travel stories, recommend places to visit or ask for recommendations! There is an open fire place in the dinning room and a cosy burner in the bar, so even on a winters night we were nice and toasty after being out and about in the cold all day! It also adds to the traditional, cosy, friendly atmosphere of the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were not only very happy and friendly but they were also exteemly helpful, they booked us a day trip to the Great Wall, we thought we were only having a driver but we were pleasantly surprised on the day as we were greeted by our own private english speaking guide, organised by the hotel to accompany us for the day for no extra cost! The trip to the Great Wall - Mutianyu was fantastic and our guide even took us to a tea house on the way back for a tea ceremony & tasting which was very interesting and a stop to take photos of the Olympic stadium Birds Nest.
The staff happily booked train tickets for me to travel on to Xi'an after my stay in Beijing and had the tickets delivered to the hotel. They posted post cards for us, printed flight boarding passes, they even offered to book theatre tickets for us and were very helpful and efficient in organising transport to the train station and the airport at the end of our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they were just brilliant!!
After we left the hotel I realised I had left my woollen hat behind, I e mailed the hotel to enquire about my hat and they replied very quickly reassuring me that they had found my hat and would keep it for me until I returned to Beijing one week later when I could collect it. When I did return a week later to collect my hat the staff were lovely, they were all happy to see me, they even remembered my name and proudly presented me with my "lost" hat!
Everything about our stay at the hotel was just perfect, from the moment we were greeted at the airport by a driver to collecting my "lost" hat a week after I had checked out!!

I highly recommend staying at this hotel to get a feel for the real Beijing, a little gem deep in the heart of a living Hutong... step outside the hotel and see how the real people of Beijing live but only a short walk away from new Beijing with the subway stop, shopping malls and well known restaurants!
I would stay here again any day! :0)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Clair_Archie

Dear Clair_Archie:
It was a pleasure reading your wonderful and detailed review of our boutique hotel. Thank you for sharing your insights with others in the tripadvisor community.
It appears that the two of you did a lot of exploring in Beijing and Red Wall Garden is indeed an ideal base from which to start your adventures. Future visitors to China's capital might be interested to know that Beijing is divided into a grid featuring ring roads, starting from Ring Road 2 encircling the very center of the city to Ring Road 5 on the oustkirts of this metropolis. Our hotel is situated within the second ring road in "Dongcheng District", near many of the major tourist attractions such as the Forbidden City, Lama Temple and the National Museum. We offer complimentary bikes which are the ideal mode of transportation to explore any location within the center of Beijing.
Dengshikou subway station, only a 3-minute walk from the hotel, allows you extend your travel radius to the outskirts of the city where the Summer Palace is located. For only 2 RMB per person (roughly 30 cents), patrons are able to travel anywhere in the city. Beijing's subway, refurbished and extended during the 2008 Olympics, is one of the best underground systems in the world: cheap, safe and convenient.
As the reviewer mentioned, we will gladly arrange for private guides and transportation which is the way to go if you are in a time crunch. We highly recommend exploring either the Mutaniyu or Badaling sections of the Great Wall while visiting Beijing. Our guest services staff is happy to assist you in making the most of your visit to this fascinating part of the world.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here for our first time visiting Beijing. Our room was clean, warm, and cozy. The breakfast is good--buffet style. The staff is friendly and helpful! Great location too--not far from the metro station and points of interest like Forbidden City and the Square. Overall a fantastic stay! The is a Starbucks nearby which was a bonus (behind the Ferrari dealership).

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dee_Lovely88
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Dee_Lovely 88
We are happy to learn that you chose Red Wall Garden on your first trip to China and enjoyed your stay with us. Exceeding guest expectations is our credo and our goal.
As you discovered, our hotel is in the very midst of things and only a short walk away from "Dengshikou" subway station. The underground is very cheap (only about 35 cents per ride) and the most convenient way to explore sights on the outskirts of the city such as the Summer Palace.
I am a fan of Starbucks as well (cannot afford the Ferraris next door unfortunately), but can honestly and proudly say that our food and beverage team has mastered the fine art of making cappucinos and lattes. Give them a try next time you are with us!
Greetings to beautiful Canada,

Reviewed March 9, 2014

The hotel is comfortable and - when we were there in freezing depths of winter - had something of an Alpine chalet feel to it, with its wooden floorboards, wood fires and cosy warmth. I can imagine the courtyard would be lovely in summer. Our room was comfortable (very comfy bed) and the bathroom was clean, well appointed and spacious too. The location is good and we had no difficulty finding the hotel.

But the thing that really makes this hotel is its staff, who are clearly very proud of their set-up and bend over backwards to make sure you feel at home and have everything you need. For example, we had problems with our internet late at night and the staff did everything in their powers to fix it immediately - even bringing us our own private router up to the room.

The staff in the restaurant and on reception were all delightful and attentive throughout our stay - and had been so even in email exchanges before we arrived. All this serves to make it a very warm and relaxing place to stay - it is certainly not 5 star luxury, but I don't think it pretends to be (and don't think it would want to be): it has character and charm and is comfortable and friendly - these are the attributes it prides itself on. And these are attributes that are sometimes hard to find in hotels in the big cities of China.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Will B:
Your kind review is very much appreciated - thank you!
Our courtyard is indeed a wonderful place to kick back with a nice cup of tea and a book, particularly during the warm months. Its tranquilty makes you forget on occassion that you are in the very center of a metropolis with 25 million residents.
My apologies for the issues with the wifi in your room; I am happy to learn that we could get this snag resolved in the end. Other tripadvisor readers might be interested to learn that we are in the process of improving our complimentary internet access. The installation should be completed by the end of March.
Thank you also for recognizing the service efforts of our dedicated staff. We all hope you will get a chance to visit us again when our courtyard is in full bloom.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you are on your first trip to Beijing, this is the place to stay for a real hutong experience. From the warm welcome from the reception staff to the beautiful rooms this is the place to be. The rooms were exceptionly nice especially the suite we had which had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ridelyfox
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Ridelyfox:
I took the liberty of sharing your kind review with the team in today's morning meeting - thank you!
Providing a cozy atmosphere and a friendly welcome to our guests is one of our guiding principles heer at Red Wall Garden.
And indeed, all of our beds feature top-of-the-line Duxiana mattresses to guarantee a good night's sleep after a long day of exploring Beijing's sights of interest.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future,

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Staffs are very helpful and friendly.
Hotel is perfectly located in the Hutong and close to WangFuJin. Many local shops around the Hutong.
Very well designed Hotel!
The only defect is soundproofing is not very good in the room where we stay at the top floor, we could hear neighbors walking around in the public area when we were sleeping.
Besides that, everything are perfect!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Yifan Z:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our boutique hotel.
As you correctly noted, Red Wall Garden is conveniently located within walking distance of the Forbidden City and Beijing's premier shopping areas, Wangfujing and Jinbao Streets. In spite of this central location, you do not have to sacrifice tranquility as our hotel is tucked away in a quiet, low-rise neighborhood.
We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Beijing,