“Friendly hotel”

Ranked #17 of 6,491 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly hotel”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The hotel is comfortable and - when we were there in freezing depths of winter - had something of an Alpine chalet feel to it, with its wooden floorboards, wood fires and cosy warmth. I can imagine the courtyard would be lovely in summer. Our room was comfortable (very comfy bed) and the bathroom was clean, well appointed and spacious too. The location is good and we had no difficulty finding the hotel.

But the thing that really makes this hotel is its staff, who are clearly very proud of their set-up and bend over backwards to make sure you feel at home and have everything you need. For example, we had problems with our internet late at night and the staff did everything in their powers to fix it immediately - even bringing us our own private router up to the room.

The staff in the restaurant and on reception were all delightful and attentive throughout our stay - and had been so even in email exchanges before we arrived. All this serves to make it a very warm and relaxing place to stay - it is certainly not 5 star luxury, but I don't think it pretends to be (and don't think it would want to be): it has character and charm and is comfortable and friendly - these are the attributes it prides itself on. And these are attributes that are sometimes hard to find in hotels in the big cities of China.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Will B:
Your kind review is very much appreciated - thank you!
Our courtyard is indeed a wonderful place to kick back with a nice cup of tea and a book, particularly during the warm months. Its tranquilty makes you forget on occassion that you are in the very center of a metropolis with 25 million residents.
My apologies for the issues with the wifi in your room; I am happy to learn that we could get this snag resolved in the end. Other tripadvisor readers might be interested to learn that we are in the process of improving our complimentary internet access. The installation should be completed by the end of March.
Thank you also for recognizing the service efforts of our dedicated staff. We all hope you will get a chance to visit us again when our courtyard is in full bloom.
Your Red Wall Garden Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you are on your first trip to Beijing, this is the place to stay for a real hutong experience. From the warm welcome from the reception staff to the beautiful rooms this is the place to be. The rooms were exceptionly nice especially the suite we had which had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ridelyfox
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Ridelyfox:
I took the liberty of sharing your kind review with the team in today's morning meeting - thank you!
Providing a cozy atmosphere and a friendly welcome to our guests is one of our guiding principles heer at Red Wall Garden.
And indeed, all of our beds feature top-of-the-line Duxiana mattresses to guarantee a good night's sleep after a long day of exploring Beijing's sights of interest.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future,
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Staffs are very helpful and friendly.
Hotel is perfectly located in the Hutong and close to WangFuJin. Many local shops around the Hutong.
Very well designed Hotel!
The only defect is soundproofing is not very good in the room where we stay at the top floor, we could hear neighbors walking around in the public area when we were sleeping.
Besides that, everything are perfect!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Yifan Z:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our boutique hotel.
As you correctly noted, Red Wall Garden is conveniently located within walking distance of the Forbidden City and Beijing's premier shopping areas, Wangfujing and Jinbao Streets. In spite of this central location, you do not have to sacrifice tranquility as our hotel is tucked away in a quiet, low-rise neighborhood.
We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Beijing,
MA
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I made a telephone booking with Candy who was very helpful and did not mind my complicated reservation request (multiple rooms, diff number of guests each day, cribs etc). She was patient and helped me sort it all out and sent me an English confirmation almost immediately. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my booking but I am looking forward to staying there on another visit.

Stayed February 2014
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear custardpudding:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in praise of our reservations team.The process of taking care of our guests starts well before they ever arrive at the hotel. Candie and her colleagues are instrumental in relaying any guests requests to our operations team to follow through. We appreciate you recognizing their effort even though your schedule changed.
We hope to welcome you to Red Wall Garden on another occasion!
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We were very, very happy with our choice! The RWGH ist one of the cutest places I have ever seen on Beijing. If you are looking for a perfect styled and super high-end luxury hotel, you should choose one of the anonymous skyscraper hotels wich you can find at any corner. But if you are looking for something very special, familiar and with original chinees character, you should go for The Red Wall Garden Hotel!
You feel like "coming home" after a exhausting day-trip in this enormous huge city. The area around is a typical Hutong. You just feel like a part of Beijing!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TvP2014
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear TvP2014:
Thank you for your very kind review - we are glad you chose Red Wall Garden to be your "home away from home".
As you correctly noted, Beijing has a plethora of choices when it comes to hotels. We are trying to differentiate ourselves from the "anonymous skyscraper" competition by providing our guests with a more authentic Chinese experience, both in terms of amenities and service. While our boutique hotel is very close to the center of Beijing and many of its main attractions, it is also tucked away in a little residential hutong, providing a quiet retreat from all the hustle and bustle of the city.
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future - Gruss nach Deutschland,
Reviewed March 1, 2014

A few days before my stay, I called the hotel to arrange a pick-up (I was with 3 non chinese speaking persons and a lot of luggage). They refused because it "was not convenient for their driver to pick us up at the south train station, and it was easy to take a taxi"). I found that answer a bit suprising... I explained I did not want to take 2 separate taxis, and I was ready to pay for the pick-up, but they did not really care about my problems. We finaly took 2 separate taxi and got lost on the way to the hotel. But that was a small issue considering what's next.
First, my room (2203) had no window!!! They were fully booked, so there was no way to change.
The room was not cheap (1100 CNY). I was really not expecting to get a cave for that kind of money... But that was not the worse: the room was way too hot at night. I asked the reception to switch off the heat, but it was not possible because it was a central heating system. They seriously advised me to switch on the Air condition. I found that really absurd, considering the pollution level in Beijing, but I had no choice and I did it. I had a terrible night and could not sleep well with both the heat and A/C switched on.
I can understand why this hotel gets so many good reviews: besides the fact that the room has now windows, it is actually quite nice and well decorated. The location is good. But I will never go back to this hotel after that experience, and would recommand to anyone to avoid this place.

Room Tip: No Windows in room 2203
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
10 Thank Pascal J
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Pascal J:
I am very sorry to learn about the challenges you experienced at our hotel. This is the very first 1-star review our property has ever received on tripadvisor and we obviously did get it wrong in your case, for which I can only apologize.
I invite you to e-mail me directly at stefan@rwghotel.com, so I can understand in more detail where it all went wrong. But I would also like to address some of your complaints on this forum for the benefit of other tripadvisor readers.
It is true that we usually do not pick up guests from any of the train stations in Beijing. This has nothing to do with us not wanting to collect guests there. The South Station, where you arrived, is only about a 10 minute car ride away from Red Wall Garden and only allows taxis and busses on its premises. Private cars have to park quite a distance away from the station exit and require our guests and drivers to drag luggage up and down stairs and across street overpasses. In addition, there is no designated meeting point and, unlike at the airport, it is very easy for guests and driver to miss each other. I am very sorry if my reception team did not clearly explain this point and failed to provide your cab driver with directions to the hotel - my sincere apologies! (When learning of your taxi odyssee late last night, I authorized a complimentary airport drop-off for you this morning which hopefully made up for some of this inconvenience.)
To your other point: it is true that the hotel was completely sold out yesterday, otherwise we would have gladly moved you to a different room. All of our rooms DO have windows, including your room. But your point is well taken as 2203 is a standard room and its window is quite a bit smaller and does not feature a courtyard view. All AC units in the hotel are equipped with air filters, by the way, and the main building of the hotel also houses additional air purifiers to counteract some of the pollution issues we have here in Beijing.
I sincerely hope you will e-mail us and give us a chance to invite you back to Red Wall Garden to erase this unfortunate impression. We are by no means perfect, but will try our very best to get it right next time.
Halden
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The first two nights, we had a room on the 4 th floor where we experienced some difficulties: The heater (based on warm water) was all the time at maximum and could not be regulated or switched off. The only way to reduce the temperature in the room below 40 degrees (C) was either to use the airconditioning (noisy) or open all the windows in which case the smog entered the room. In addition, one wall of the room was completely made in glass, so that there was no sound isolation at all, as well as little privacy (only some curtains). Things changed completely when we could change room to a lower floor and with the window facing the inner square (atrium) so that there was no problem with traffic noises. From then on, we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are large, comfortable, nicely decorated, soft beds, etc.
The hotel is also located very well; close to touristic attractions and shopping/walking streets (such as the Wangfujing street). The staff is very friendly. The breakfast is relatively expensive but very good.

Room Tip: It is absolutely necessary to avoid a room on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Snorkelingman
Dear Rudi1234567:
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with the tripadvisor community. We are glad you enjoyed the facilities and the service at Red Wall Garden. I am also happy to learn that the room move to a lower floor was to your liking.
As you correctly pointed out, our boutique hotel is very centrally located and only minutes away from two of Beijing's main shopping areas, Wangfujing and Jinbao Streets. In addition, Dengshikou Station is within a 5 minute walk and gives you access to one of the most advanced subway networks in existence.
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future - thank you for staying with us,