“Challenging start, ended well”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #17 of 6,462 Hotels in Beijing
Houston, TX
“Challenging start, ended well”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Candi had made me cancel my reservation- online offer not honored, etc. then Panapa (apologies for misspelling) and manager Stefan stepped in and I ended up enjoying my stay. Doris is an excellent tour guide. The hotel is courtyard style, pretty rooms.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Texas_Enthusiast
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Texas_Enthusiast

My apologies for the mix-up during the reservation process! I am glad we got everything sorted in the end and ensured you had a pleasant stay with us nonetheless.

Pennapa sends her regards - we hope to have you back with us again soon,
Your Red Wall Garden Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kelkheim (Taunus), Germany
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The hotel is in a very good location and close to the subway station . All interesting places can be reached easily. Charming rooms with great bathrooms make you enjoy your rests .The breakfirst is delicious . Kind and helpfull stuff is always around . We enjoyed complimentary champaign for New Years Eve .

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank maxmalou
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear maxmalou:
It was a pleasure meeting you both at the cocktail reception - I am glad you had a safe journey back to Germany.
Thank you for pointing out the hotel's proximity to the Dengshikou subway station. Within a two minute walk from our quiet hutong street and for only 2 RMB (approximately 35 US cents), guests can explore the entirety of the city with one of the best, most-advanced subway systems in the world. Even points of interest that are on the outskirts of Beijing (such as the Summer Palace) can be reached rather speedily and without having to contend with traffic gridlock

Our friendly guest services team is always happy to assist you with your sightseeing plans!

Gruesse nach Deutschland,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

During my pan- Asian trip ,I also visited Beijing and stayed in this very cozy Chinese style boutique hotel called the Red Wall Garden. Although it doesn't really have a garden , it does have a nice large spacious open air courtyard ( it is now freezing cold in the winter , so it's not really an option to spend anytime in open air, although they tell me that in the spring summer and early autumn they have wonderful flowers and the trees blossom ). Anyway enough with the courtyard. the rooms were well appointed , warm and clean, I stayed in the main building on the third floor, it was very quiet ; the decor is a bit of a mix of oriental with western style too . The TV channels in English language were very limited.
The food was good at the restaurant ; had breakfast ( buffet style , quite adequate) and lunch and dinner were excellent .
But the most pleasing aspect of the hotel is the service and the warmth of the staff .
They really take care of you in a very friendly way , from the housekeeping staff to the reception . I also enjoyed a free pick up at the airport .
Great central location in one of the most historic Hutongs called Shijia Hutong near Jinbao street.
I would certainly recommend this nice hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank tallebung
Dear tallebung:

I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Red Wall Garden Hotel with the tripadvisor community. Thank you!
Yes, it has gotten somewhat nippy here in Beijing during the past couple of weeks and it certainly is too cold to sit in our lovely courtyard area. You will be interested to know, however, that we are planning to add some firepits as part of our courtyard updates in order to extend the "outside season" a bit more into the spring and fall months.
The warm months are certainly a fantastic time to visit us - as you can tell from the pictures here on tripadvisor and from the ones on our own website, the courtyard area changes into a sea of flowers and our fish and turtles emerge from "hibernation". It really is a lovely spot to kick back and relax after a long day of shopping or sightseeing.

Hopefully you will have a chance to return for a visit then - we would love to have you back with us,

Ramallah, Palestinian Territories
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just came back from 6 days in Beijing. I never have been so cold in my life but the Red Wall Garden kept me warm. Not only the room was warm and cosy, but also the staff was warm, friendly and helpful. Specially the girls in the restaurant (I just remember Lilly by name, sorry) were always so kind and nice to chat to while having a hot coffee (I know you should drink tea in China, but they make such a good Cappuccino I just could not resist).

I mentioned the room above already and I can only agree with all the good reviews on TripAdvisor - It feels like a home with all luxuries of a top class hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Sam Y
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Sam Y:

Yes, it has been rather chilly these past couple of weeks, but I am sure Lilly's delicious cappucinos and our newly built fireplaces helped you stay warm and cosy!
It is always rewarding to read that our team's service efforts have left a positive impression and that our guests not only had a pleasant stay but will also take some nice memories back home with them.

Lilly, Yao and Luz asked me to send you their regards

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at this Hotel for 5 nights and we have no complaints about it.
The staff is super friendly and helpful. The girls at the reception even helped us to book shows outside the hotel's agency. They really cared about us.
We booked a standard room, but when we got there they upgraded us to a superior room! The room was spacious, clean and quiet. The Breakfast is very nice with a good variety of Chinese food and some western options! Go for the Chinese food! They even have an option of take-away containers if you don't have time to have your breakfast or if you want you can pay an extra fee to take an extra meal with you. We did that when we went to the Great Wall, as we knew we wouldn't be able to find a nice place to eat on the surroundings.
The place is clean, close to Dengshikou subway station and to a shopping district.
I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Priscilla M:

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with the tripadvisor community.
Going above and beyond the call of duty for our guests is our credo here at Red Wall Garden Hotel, so I am glad to hear that our guest service team was able to assist you to your satisfaction.

Our executive chef was happy to read your praise regarding breakfast; we receive a lot of compliments on our local food offerings and have recently added more Chinese dishes to our lunch and dinner menus. It is our goal to take our guests on a "culinary journey" of this country's varied cuisines and branch out a bit from the more traditional Cantonese style cooking that most of our visitors know from the Chinese restaurants back home. Our food and beverage team is always happy to answer any questions regarding the menu and will do their very best to accommodate special requests.

Greetings to sunny Brazil - we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Wouldn't stay anywhere else if I'm in Beijing again. The service is wonderful, the room was gorgeous and the bed lovely and soft (western style). They asked if we were there for a special reason so they could look after us. They left a bottle of red and rose petals in our room. The buffet breakfast was excellent and the restaurant in the evening was great. We were in walking distance of Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, the subway and the very popular Wangfujing Street.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor so if you have problems with stairs just ask to be on the ground floor. I o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen T
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Helen T:

We very much appreciate your kind review!
Making your stay special right from the start is very important to us, so we are glad you enjoyed the little amenity upon arrival.

My staff sends their regards "down under"! Thank you for staying with us,

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am probably only going to be repeating what has already been said by others and now I know why the past reviews are so good.

After traveling to China and staying in some remarkable hotels where you had to use the room key and elevator to access your room, this was a very pleasant stay to feel like you are entering a home with multiple shared lounge areas and a old worldly feel. It was just so nice.

I booked a 2 bedroom Western style for my daughter and self and I cannot tell you how much the feel and style of the room added to our China experience. The bed was so so comfortable, the room had wooden floors and wooden furniture. It was extremely cosy.

Everytime we walked out and saw these big stylish hotels like the Regent close by, I thought how lucky we were to have found this little gem of a hotel instead of high rise modern dwelllings. The shops close by were adequate for what you needed, wine, additional water and snacks.

The front desk was always so helpful as we ate at a number of restaurants (see reviews once I get to write them) that were somewhat hard to find but always managed to get there somehow. They even arranged a private car tour to the Great Wall for us which was affordable and of a good standard. The breakfast was good as was the diveristy and quality of the food in the restaurant.

If you are a discerning traveller and want that "difference" in a hotel then this is the one for you. I would say this is one of the better hotel experiences in my world travels and I am very fussy.

I would not even consider staying anywhere else if I returned to Beijing. Trust me, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear SimonBebe:

Even though many previous guests have shared these exact same sentiments, we never get tired of reading about how much somenone has "felt at home" at Red Wall Garden and forgot that he/she was staying at a hotel. This to us is the highest praise we can hope for, as everything we do here is geared towards providing our guests with the experience you described in your kind review.

We hope you will have a chance to stay with us again in the near future,