“You should stay here - don't go elsewhere!”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #16 of 6,547 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed here with my daughter for a few nights from 24th December - if you really want an authentic Beijing experience at a wonderful hotel, then look no further and stay here.

First, the location is fabulous. We really enjoyed our Hutong. Once you left the main road for the short walk through the street of the Hutong, you really felt transformed into another world. We enjoyed the bustle, the people on bicycles, and then you arrive at the hotel - just magic. The hotel is in a fantastic position - in a Hutong filled with character, but 3-4 minutes walk from a main road and a metro. What could be better? And why would you stay at a traditional Western hotel when you can stay here?

The grounds are wonderful, and when you enter the building and get to the shared space on the first floor, you feel immediately relaxed and at home. The room we stayed in was lovely - ideally finished, great beds and bathroom. Pity we had to leave.

The staff were exceptionally helpful. We asked for the address of a local vegetarian restaurant - three people behind the desk then proceeded to research the issue, draw maps, provide guidance, and we ended up at a great restaurant we did not know existed.

The only gripe I do have is that the hotel will provide free breakfast and a free hotel pickup if you book with them directly. Now we had book our trip through a travel agent because of complicated flights. We had no choice. And the travel agent used Expedia. So we had to pay approx $20 each for breakfast and a reasonable amount for the airport pickup (approx $60). The issue for us is that, because of various dietary requirements, breakfast is a very important meal for us - especially having a buffet with choice. And we wanted an airport pickup as we walked off a long flight (15 hours) late at night.So because we had booked through our travel agent, we ended up paying 4 x $40 + $60 = $220 more than if we had booked directly. When I raised this through the hotel via email before coming, I was told that I would have to cancel the booking and rebook directly. However the Expedia booking is not mine really, but the travel agent's! So it would be a whole process for Expedia to refund the monies to the agent, and the agent to refund the funds to us, and then to ensure we had a booking made directly. So I left it as it was and paid the additional. I think this is a real problem as it coloured our stay - we paid $220 more than the next person at this hotel just because we used a travel agent. We raised this again when we checked in, but the hotel staff said we had booked without breakfast so those were the rules!

I think this is an issue you need to be aware of, and the hotel needs to reconsider, as penalising people a substantial amount of money because they used a travel agent I believe is not fair. It just makes your stay less enjoyable because you are resentful.

Overall, this hotel does indeed deserve the #1 position on Tripadvisor if they address this issue.

Room Tip: Make sure you book directly to receive free breakfast and an airport pickup.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear jeffreyt:

Thank you for your kind words and rave review. My team and I are happy to hear you enjoyed our stay with us and rewarded us with this fantastic feedback.
I can understand your frustration regarding the free breakfast and free airport pick-up policy that is exclusive to guests booking our hotel directly via phone or our website.I am very sorry this left a sour taste in your mouth but there is a rather straightforward explanation: for obvious reasons, hotels (and most other businesses that have an online presence, such as airlines for example) will reward the guests who decide to book directly - it cuts out the "middle man" and allows them to offer the best possible value, be it through lower rates, free breakfast or complimentary upgrades.
Nonetheless, I gather that you enjoyed our facilities and services and hope that you will call upon us again should your future travels take you to China's capital.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We recently stayed for 4 nights at the Red Wall Garden in one of the two storey rooms - despite the freezing temperature in Beijing, the room itself was warm and cozy. Downstairs is the bathroom (shower, toilet, sink), minibar, couch and TV. Upstairs is the bed, with balcony overlooking the courtyard. Because of the temperatures, all plants were covered and the water feature not turned on, but I am sure that it would be a lovely, tranquil place to sit and enjoy a beer.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear traveller123WA:

Thank you very much for sharing your insights with the tripadvisor community. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
The courtyard is indeed a great spot to kick back and enjoy a nice cup of tea or an adult beverage of your choosing. Hopefully you will have a chance to experience it for yourself when it is once again in full bloom and our resident turtles are sunning themselves in our outside pond area.

You are hereby cordially invited,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked this hotel through their official website a month earlier because the airport transfer is included and their staff, Candie had helped us through it by constantly replying my email. It is actually our first visit to Beijing, China and through so many reviews we saw on tripadvisor, We decided to stay in this hotel for 6 nights. And indeed i would say its a great choice. This hotel made us felt like home. We arrived round midnight and the driver was waiting for us at the arrival gate. Brought us to the hotel and check in to the room. We were definitely happy with the heated room and the SOFT bed. The best hotel bed that i ever slept on. :) during christmas eve, the management team of the hotel arrange a cocktail party and invited all the hotel guests which i thought was a brilliant idea to enjoy the night with people from all over the world thanks to Stefan, Lily, Chen Yao and Pennapa. It was definitely a great evening. We were even surprised when we got back from sightseeing around beijing and found a note on the table saying the gift is for us to enjoy it. Besides that, the receptionist, Anna helped us in terms of arranging a transport to the great wall and nanshan ski resort.

Positive
- there is airport transfer just in case if you arrive on midnight like we did provided you booked through their official website.
- the room are heated well enough to keep you warm despite the freezing cold weather outside.
- the bed are so soft
- the warm and caring staffs of the hotel whom always greet us with a smile especially Pennapa whom greet us during breakfast several times durinh our stay.

Negative
- the electric socket should have been installed nearer to the bed
- they should have provide universal adapter for the guest
- the wooden floor was a bit dirty
- due to miscommunication, our airport transfer were not available that made us end up in two cab to head back to beijing airport. Quite disappointed though towards the end but all in all. Its is still a good place to stay during your visit to beijing.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear sharon_xyz:

I am glad you enjoyed your week-long stay with us - thank you for this very detailed review. It is feedback like this that allows us to constantly improve our facilities and services.
As you can see from some of the responses of other reviewers, our DUX beds are popular with almost every guest we welcome at Red Wall Garden Hotel, so you are not alone with your praise.
I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Christmas Eve cocktail party. My team and are still talking about this little holiday get-together with our guests - truth be told, I was somewhat worried about my food & beverage staff's first attempts at home-made eggnog and mulled wine, but both concoctions turned out great!
Your comments about the electric socket and adapters are well-taken, thank you for pointing this issue out to me. There are sockets on either side of the bed(s), but they are somewhat hidden behind the nighstands. All the rooms should have international adapters, usually below the desk area; please accept my apologies if yours did not feature one (for future reference: our guest services team keeps spare ones at the reception).
We are fully aware of how important airport pick-ups and drop-offs are to our guests and in your particular case we obviously got it wrong, for which I am very sorry.

Pennapa and her colleagues send their regards - we all hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had wonderful stay in Red Wall Garden. If you look for really Chinese style, local hotel, this one is perfect. Our room was huge (2 floors), furnitured Chinese way that was really awesome. The courtyard was like oasis. Although it was quite cold we like to seat there. The staff was very helpful and nice. We did the trip to Great Wall with private car and it was organized perfectly. They also picked us up from the airport. My husband tried massage and he loved it. And what is extremely important in Beijin the it was very close to main tourist attractions, walking distance and also closed to more western services (like Starbucks if you can't live without it;). Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank magda1975
RedWallGarden, Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear magda1975:

Thank you for your kind words! I have shared your review with my team and posted it on our internal message board. The staff are always very appreciative when a guest has taken the time to praise their efforts and noticed their pro-active approach to service.
Yes, we are in the heart of Beijing but you would never know it - walk two minutes in either direction and our quiet little hutong street leads you right into the hustle and bustle of the capital.
Next time you crave a Starbucks, give our trained "baristas" in the hotel's restaurant a chance. Yao and Lilly in particular make a mean capuccino - you will not be disappointed.

We hope to have you back with us again soon,

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I came back to Beijing on business trip ( teaching Italian at University courses) and stayed again at the red Wall Garden Hotel in December . The staff is so friendly , got to know the manager Stefan ( form Germany) and they even have a host manager (Pannapa is her name, although not sure if its spelled exactly like that ) where her job is to make sure you have a comfortable and nice stay while you're there . So I give a 5 star for service definitely . The location is very handy right in the center , metro station Dengshikou, and walking distance to Wangfujing. I had room 2303 , in the main building , good wifi throughout the hotel and free of charge . The breakfast was nice with the chef preparing omelettes for you; I take also the opportunity to say hello to Lilly at the restaurant and bar .

The only thing, its quite cold in December in Beijing , and they told me it gets even colder in January!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jack M

Dear Jack M:

While it has been a comparatively mild winter in Beijing (no snow as of yet), we are still a long way away from the nice and balmy temperatures you have in Tucson right now. I am happy to hear you made it back safely to the States and had a pleasant stay with us in Beijing!

It is so rewarding to read that you enjoyed the service provided by my team! Lilly and Pennapa in particular are sending their regards. A happy and healthy 2014 to you and your family from all of us here at Red Wall Garden Hotel!

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed our first 8 nights & last 3 nights at the Red Wall Garden it was a fabulous experience! Stefan(manager), Pennapa,Jerry & the whole staff made our stay at RwG feel like home. The staff's attention to our happiness was incredible, from the making sure we got around to daily breakfast(where you literally meet guests from all over the world having a bite to eat before their days journey). They threw a Christmas Eve party/mixer that was fantastic. Stefan is a absolutely first class international hotel manager. I will say if you are looking for a high end western type hotel with no personality RwG is not for you. I highly recommend this hotel it is ranked 5 star for a reason!!!!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Tim B
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Tim B:
Well, we did not want you to leave either! I am glad you, Erica, Jenny and Mel enjoyed your stay with us over the holidays.
You filled our little hotel with lots of holiday spirit and added a distinctly "English accent" to the festivities :-) - Jerry in particular was sad to see you head back to Ohio but he told me to convey his best wishes for the new year!

Our best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2014 to you and your family!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Red wall Garden hotel is a charming little boutique hotel tucked away in the Shijia Hutong area in Beijing. We loved the location. It is close to all the main attractions in Beijing and an easy walk to the subway.

If you are looking for a standard 5 star type experience, then this may not be your first choice but to get a real Beijing experience, you should definitely stay here.

The thing that stole the show for us was the staff at the hotel. They go REALLY out of their way to make things fun, memorable and easy for you. Right from tirelessly helping with talking to taxi drivers, to pointing out the right subway ways, they are your go to advisers once you reach the hotel.

A special shout out to Yao (I hope I am spelling her name right) who walked us to a vegetarian restaurant after her shift at the hotel. My daughter loved her :)

Thank you for such a great time!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ArchZ

Dear ArchZ:

We are very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us!
I forwarded your response to Yao, our restaurant manager and she wanted me to send you her regards. It is very rewarding to read that our staff made your stay a memorable one. We hope to welcome you back to Red Wall Garden Hotel in the not too distant future and thank you for staying with us.