“hotel is clean comfortable and has plenty of character”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #19 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We enjoyed our stay. The room was large and the beds comfortable. The evening meal we had there was very tasty. The staff were cheerful and spoke some English. Only problem was when we thought we had ordered a taxi which did not materialise. Overall good. It has lots of character as it is in a hutong and was an old courtyard house.

• Stayed: October 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed October 28, 2011

recently spent 4 nights at the hotel. I picked it for the close proximaty to the metro and was supposed to be a nice botique hotel. The hotel driver was at the airport to pick me up upon my midnight arrival as promised. The hotel is a very nice small botique hotel, not in the prettiest of neighborhoods, but that is part of the charm of the Hutong area I suppose. The service was very good and all the employees I came into contact with were very cheerful and helpful when I needed some help. Sometimes was hard to find an English speaking person but that employee that could not understand you would get another employee that spoke English to help you. Breakfast buffet was very nice with a wide variety of items to choose. I use the metro extensively to get around and the station is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. I would stay at this property again and recommend to TA clients.

Room Tip: ask for a courtyard view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Steve-JL.a.
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This is a really lovely place to stay right in the centre of Beijing. The room was beautiful and very comfortable, the room had fast and reliable wifi, the staff were very friendly and helpful (but with limited English) and it was great stepping out of the front gate into a street so stereotypically Chinese it could be a movie...

The airport/railway station collection was very helpful as I don't think we would have found the by ourselves even though it's very close to Dongshikou station (line 5). Breakfast was fine but nothing special.

It's worth shopping around for prices as they varied quite a lot on the different sites (we went with hotels.com eventually).

The only downside came when it came to leave the hotel. My friend and I left the hotel on different days and I think the hotel rang the same public taxi driver to come and collect us. My friend was ripped off on his trip to the airport (he was charged 180RMB for a 30 minute journey even though the meter only said 108RMB. The taxi driver kept pointing to the radio station (set on 180), then said he didn't have change for 200RMB and only had a receipt for 108RMB). When it was my turn, I asked for the receipt and he gave me an extra 5RMBs worth of receipts instead of my change. It wasn't great...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller074
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My family and I recently spent some time in Beijing as an add on to a trip to Hong Kong where I work frequently. We enjoyed the room and the hotel immensely.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor suite due to having our two kids with us. The proximity to the courtyar...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The Red Wall Garden Hotel is about a 20 min walk to Wanfujing. the must -go -to pedestrian street in Beijing. It is a 5 mins walk to the metro, and bus stop. This hotel is set in the Shijia Hutong and to arrive at the hotel you have to stroll down a very local street past a convenient store, friends chatting by a doorway, a roadside restaurant where diners sit under the stars barbecuing legs of lambs, walled compounds, a public toilet , till you arrive at a wide gate painted in red.
Once past the gate . with the ubiquitious doorman, you are then transported into a world of fish ponds . tropical plants, pomegranate trees set in a courtyard.
We arrived in the evening and the red lanterns strung around the courtyard were already lit. A function, with music and skits, was taking place at the time making the whole place very festive and a little magical.
Our room was very artistically furnished with a balcony that looked into the courtyard . The best part was that the windows could be opened. In fact to get to the balcony, we had to leap over the window sills . The furniture (bed, armoire, bedside tables) was chinese themed and the bed and linen had a luxurious feel to them. There were nice little touches like bete quality bathroom amenities and the management provided tea, kettle and pretty tea cups. (More about the tea cups ). Loved the wooden planked floor and the heavy drapes. The bath room was clean and spacious and the shower met expectations. The housekeepers were both efficient and friendly.
After a strenuous day doing the sights in Beijing, fighting the crazy traffic, taking the bus and metro we were always glad to be able to return to the Red Wall Garden for a relaxing hour or two before heading out to dinner.
The buffet breakfast was mediocre, but was sufficient for our needs. The breakfast room was cold and sparsely furnished, (compared to the bedrooms and the rest of the hotel areas) and lacked ambience. The tea was always cold, but the coffee hot. Suggest the dining room purchase a second hot plate for the tea. The wait staff appeared to be less friendly than the reception or housekeepers, but we believe it is because they do not feel comfortable attending to non-mandarin speaking guests. However, everyone understands a smile.
The two girls at the reception desk on our arrival were very friendly and helpful. Their warmth was so genuine. They gave us tips on how to get to the Bell/Drum towers, Prince Gong's mansion by bus and metro. Jozy, one of the girls also loaned us her bus pass so that we need not have to bother with change. But. we were disappointed with the girl who checked us out. She appeared businesslike when she presented me with my incidental charge of 40 RMB for my breaking a tea cup in the room.
On the second evening, I managed to break one of the tea cups. In the morning I reported the breakage to the Housekeeper. I did not think anymore about it till the morning of the check out. I was surprised at the cost and was told by the receptionist that it was an "old" teacup. She may have meant antique, though with my novice eye I could not tell. It seemed that we saw quite tea cups of similar pattern at the Panjiayuan Antique market in Beijing the previous morning. Rather unhappily, I paid the bill. On receiving my bill I noticed that the balance was not at zero, so I told her that I preferred the bill to be marked fully paid. She seemed not too happy to acquiese to my request. I am sure that all was above board, but I have a habit of checking that all my hotel bills show a balance of zero after payments have been effected.
On the way back to our room to pick up the luggage I encountered the Housekeeper and in the best of my sign language and fragmentary mandarin, told her that I felt the 40RMB charge a little on the high side. She then called the receptionist, and it appeared that she told the receptionist to reverse the charge, because she pointed me back to the desk. We did return to the desk to leave our luggage, but the receptionist made no attempt to speak with me. I left it at that, as we would have added the 40 RMB to the tip for the housekeeing staff. In thinking back I remembered this particular receptionist as always seeming aloof where the others were warm and hospitable.
We chose the Red Wall Garden for two reasons; they provide complimentary airport pickup, and as our flight would not arrive till 7 p.m. we thought it best that we be met, and we wanted to stay in a hotel in a hutong.
We are very glad we found the Red Wall Garden, and in spite of the tea cup incident we highly recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to experience a little of the local life. The average score is a reflection of the attitude of the wait staff and the aloof receptionist. At times we have been awed by the decor and amenities in different hotels, but the friendly and knowledgeable personnel in any hotel, restaurant or establishment always made a far greater impact.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sheila026
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I researched through Trip Adviser for a very long time before finding THE RED WALL GARDEN HOTEL. It was worth every minute. Most of Beijing's hotels appeared to have significant flaws whereas the RWG largely had significant applause and after our 4 nt stay there we can see why. It's worth stating that Beijing's traffic problems are massive and the roads are often in complete gridlock - particularly from 5pm onwards. This means that taxis won't take you anywere - so it's best to stay near wherever you might want to go in the evening.

Re the hotel. On request we were picked up at the airport and kindly taken to the hotel (free). This is very helpful because taxi drivers tend to not know their way around the hutongs ('courtyards'). The hotel itself is 'a find'. Easy walking to the centre; quiet settling (in a slightly seeded backstreet granted but we felt entirely safe amongst people carrying on their daily life). The girls on reception were very helpful and couldn't have been more obliging and friendly (limited but good enough English). The bedroom was typical Chinese - dark, antiquey furniture; comfortable bed and pillows and a large terrace (ask for an inward courtyard facing, 1st floor room). Good all-in breakfast (both English and Chinese. Courtyard, including caged songbirds) a lovely place to return after a busy day out - a place to sit, listen to the large water feature and have a drink. The hotel obligingly organise trips to The Great Wall (well worth the 2hr bus journey - including The Ming Tombs, visit to a tea factory, jade factory); we also recommend the 3 site City Tour (The Forbidden City; Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven). If you're on limited time this means that you see the major city sites in half a day. Finally, a good place to eat out (very close walk from hotel) is one of Beijing's best Peking Duck restaurants - Da Dong. Worthy of note: it's inside an up-market shopping centre (no-one tells you that) and.is sophisticated and designed to show chefs cooking in something akin to pizza ovens. A lovely night out.

So yes, this hotel may not be glitsy 5 star but it's well positioned, comfortable, slightly off the beaten track and cost us 100 GBP per night for a calm quiet courtyard hotel room in a hectic gigantic city. (Suggest you look up 'hutongs' on Google to understand exactly wht they are.

One extra point: Although most hotels say that they offer free wi-fi we found it to be eratic, monitored and scanned whilst emails being written. If offending key words were used the screen went blank so beware. No Facebook; no You-Tube; no Google or Yahoo.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor, inward facing courtyard room with terrace or balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jingle05
Reviewed September 24, 2011

An oasis to come back to every night!

I simply adored our stay here - from the old creaky floors to the spacious courtyard to enjoy an evening gin after a big day out. The rooms were just what we were looking for - traditional chinese theme with a warm and welcoming flavour rather than a modern impersonal hotel. Facilities were good and staff, while their English was not always great, went out of our way to help us in every way possible and always found someone who could speak it if they couldn't. We were never able to make breakfast as departed so early so each morning but they arranged a takeaway breakfast pack for us.

I come to Beijing a lot for business and stay close to work so it was a wonderful change to be in holiday and stay in a hutong and wander the streets.

Wifi access all over the hotel was a real bonus.

Just loved this place - made our trip (a girl's weekend away sans kids!) just perfect! Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends