“You can´t stay at a better place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Geruisi Art Hotel

Geruisi Art Hotel
Ranked #180 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Stockholm, Sweden
“You can´t stay at a better place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Grace Beijing is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The hotel is nicely decorated and I loved the art they have on the walls. I Wish I had the art on my walls back home in Sweden.
When we checked in we were greeted by a big smile, plenty of burning candels and a glass of prosecco. Our stay could not have started better.

We stayed in a deluxe room, which was very spacious with a sofa, armchairs and one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. The bedding was absolutely wonderful, and I liked the small details, like the fragrant bag lying on the pillow and hanging on the door handle.

The bathroom was not the biggest, but there was a large bathtub. I also liked their toiletries that included everything from a toothbrush to a stone to scrub your feet with. The soap smelled fantastic, and the towels were large and very soft. Grace has really succeeded with those little extra details that make you feel like a prince. Comfortable robes and slippers that were comfortable to wear in the evening.

The best thing about the hotel was the breakfast. An a la carte breakfast with great food, and super friendly staff who spoke very good English. To begin with, we got a small fruit plate, then came a bread basket with several kinds of bread, the best thing was the eggs! Along with the meal we were served freshly made coffee, juice and there was proscecco for those who wanted.

The hotel is located in Beijing's art district, and we just loved the area. The area has many nice little shops and cafes and it was really nice to relax there after a busy day in the city. The distance from the center was no problem whatsoever. Taxis are incredibly cheap and was easy to get. Just make sure that the front desk will help you with writing down directions on chineese because no driver speaks English.

The food in the restaurant is also very good. We ate a three-course at the conclusion of our 4-week Asian holiday and we got to eat everything that we missed from Europe and tasted really good while the food was presented in a very nice way.

I will definitely stay here again next time I visit Beijing!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jui K, General Manager at Geruisi Art Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear NiklasKarlsson,
We are thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed the stay at Grace Beijing to round up your Asia Holiday recently. Your detailed feedback is full of keen observations and it is extremely valuable and rewarding to all of us, as we continue to improve the service and strive to exceed our guests' expectations.
We wish you a great remainder of the year and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Sincerely yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed at Grace Beijing for one night over the weekend. Check in went well, the hotel is small and quiet. The building and hotel's interior is very unique.
Location is definitely something you would choose Grace for, 798 Art district is just there for you, also, you can get free entrance to UCCA art gallery as the guest of the hotel.
The standard rooms are a bit too small, if you are used to spend a lot of time in the room, but for couple of nights standard room is alright. I believe higher room category will allow you more space.
We went to dinner at the Yi House restaurant and then for brunch on the next day. Brunch was excellent, as they serve it on the terrace, in a very quiet and relaxed atmosphere, the set menu was well balanced and there were many options for each course to choose from. If you are staying at Grace, to dine there is a must.
Very pleasant stay overall, a great option for weekend getaway if you are into art and just want to escape the city for a night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

..great hotel in the awesome 798 district, huge rooms, big windows, great staff, great food..would stay here again...we had to check out before breakfast to catch an early flight back to New York and they had a "to-go" breakfast ready for us to take in the cab...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank db2428
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the Grace Hotel with a group of friends in June. We checked-in in the early hours of the morning without any problems and were shown to our rooms. The staff even said that we could do the credit card verification in the morning so that we could get to bed. The breakfast was delicious and you could order from a menu. Fresh breads, fruits and juices were also provided. The service in the restaurant was personal and excellent. Coffees were lovely too. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and a light supper before our late night flight on another night. Both meals were excellent.

Some friends had rooms overlooking the gallery next door and had to put up with a lot of noise into the early hours of the morning as functions are held there. My room was on the road side of the hotel, though not directly facing the road, and was blissfully quiet. The rooms are well appointed and wifi worked well. A couple of minor housekeeping issues: my curtains were coming off the tracks and needed to be repaired. The toilet leaked. My room wasn't serviced on one of the days (we stayed for 4 nights).

In terms of the location, it is on the outskirts of the city but is in the funky 798 Art District. It took about 45 minutes to get to the Forbidden City and about the same time to get to the Temple of Heaven. Traffic can be heavy in Beijing though, so I would probably allow an hour to get to these places. Sanlitun was less than half an hour away as was the airport.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Grace. It is a lovely hotel at a fraction of the cost of the big brand hotels downtown. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MCzaiBeijing
Jui K, General Manager at Geruisi Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear MCzaiBeijing,

Thank you very much for taking time to write the review and we are delighted to know that you have enjoyed the experience at Grace Beijing. Your feedback is very important to us and we have addressed those issues immediately with the team for correction and improvement.
We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused and hope we will have the chance to welcome you to Grace Beijing again soon.

Kind regards,

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I arrived late just now, after a long day of work, with my luggage in tow. The receptionist at the desk promptly checked me in, which was great. Was so tired i just changed my clothes and went out to pack some dinner.

Only upon coming back to the room did i realise that the room given to me was wrong- The hotel had given me a superior room (212), whilst i had booked a deluxe double room. Upon calling the front desk, the receptionist realised the error and apologised profusely about it but the damage was done.

She offered for me to switch to another deluxe twin room as all the deluxe double rooms were fully booked (despite me having booked my room and paid for it more than 2 weeks in advance!!!) but i refused because it was too troublesome and also being a solo business traveller I am not comfortable staying in a twin room. No upgrades were possible either as all other better suites were fully booked.

The last straw really was when i asked the receptionist if i could be refunded the cost difference and just stay in the superior double. She asked for me to contact agoda to see if it was possible. How ridiculous this is that I need to email agoda for my refund when the error is made on the part of the hotel!?!? I understand this is not the fault of the receptionist but the fault of the staff who arranged the bookings, and thus i didn't blame her but surely it is the hotel's fault that i was downgraded without even being informed!!!! :(

In any case though i had great expectations and was really looking forward to staying in grace beijing, since i love 798 art district a lot, this definitely leaves a bitter taste... it would take a great deal of change and persuasion to convince me to stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure if you book through a third agent such as agoda, that they don't overbook their rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jui K, General Manager at Geruisi Art Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Scrabbyknees,

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience which occurred during your stay. We are reviewing our communication with Agoda to ensure that the booking process is absolutely seamless and that no such error occurs again. I have been made aware that the refund was confirmed by Agoda, however it is our priority, through continued training, to ensure that our team members act quickly to ensure immediate resolution.
The 798 District is indeed a wonderful and culturally rich place to experience, and we do hope that you will accept our invitation to stay with us again.

Kind regards,
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have enjoyed very much our stay at this newly developed area of Beijing with a lot of art galleries nearby. The hotel, a small one, is very well designed, the personel is excellent and the food is inspiring. We stay there again!

Room Tip: the suites are very nice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank COUPLE-SHANGHAI
Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I'm from NYC and travel alot, often to see contemporary art so i liked the idea of this hotel, but the remote location and dark interiors were a big disappointment. This is essentially an art mall situated in the midst of factories. Western style restaurants and cafes are here for tourists, no other life after 6pm. Took 1.5 hours from airport by taxi, hard to find. The hotel has no courtyard or green space: only an outside bit that overlooks the driveway. Its Spring, the weather is wonderful, but the interiors are so dark its depressing. Music from nearby party til 6am kept me up, to discover coffee machine doesn't work. Good breakfast, nice staff but with only 4 tables, they ignore guests and disappear or do "busy work" iike setting a table, while forgetting a simple order ("bread please") ("bread please") then disappear for 10 minutes. There is no one here!!! So while the interiors are stylish (I love that) I find it a bit too dark and remote for my liking. Am checking out early and heading back to town.

Room Tip: Am sure other times of the year its more quiet: stay away from main road, or construction site outsi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travelfashionista
Jui K, General Manager at Geruisi Art Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear travelfashionista,

Thank you for sharing your experience of Grace Beijing, though we were of course disappointed to read that it did not meet your expectations. The hotel is indeed located within the 798 Art District – a thriving destination for Chinese art and culture, which is something we try to complement strongly. I’m glad you liked the interiors and our modern take on Ming Dynasty décor. The 798 area was created as an industrial complex in the 1950s, and subsequently developed as a centre for the arts in 1995. The story of its development brings a unique, authentic and progressive feel to the area which is something that many of our guests have to come enjoy. It is true that it is situated outside the city centre, but I’m sorry to hear you had such an abnormally long journey.

With regards to service at breakfast, we can only apologise as this is by far an isolated comment. We usually receive many compliments on the courteousness of our staff and this was clearly a moment with a lapse of concentration. The courtyard is an area which is becoming increasingly popular so should you wish to return to Grace Beijing, please do let us know and I would be delighted to show you personally and ensure your experience with us is as it should be – nothing less than perfect.

With best regards,