“A five-star experience”

Geruisi Art Hotel
Ranked #152 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
“A five-star experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

A business acquintance recommended the Grace Hotel to me. I am usually staying in hotels belonging to big networks, since my experience with the so-called boutique hotels left me with mixed feelings because of the very large spread in quality. However I agreed to give it a shot. First of all, it was nice to find out that the hotel is one of the closest to the airport, sparing me the hassle of the Beijing traffic jam, which is notoriously among the worst this planet has to offer. The welcoming ceremony at the hotel was heartfelt, check-in was handled very swiftly, and the dynamic general manager even gave me a quick tour of the premises. The building has an astonishing architecture, blending in with the adjacent 798 art district of Dashanzi. This interesting location explains why you'll be having dinner next to art critics and aficionados. Even if you're not in the art business, try to take advantage of the hotel's situation to stroll around the alleys of galleries, featuring a very large number of contemporary Chinese artists. Back to the hotel. I was not expecting too much of the room
(I chose a fairly standard one on the second floor, overlooking the garden). But I was wronged by the delightful decoration of my room, the comfortable and large bed, and an absolutely impeccable bathroom. Lighting is just great. Needless to say all the usual commodities are available, and that they are all in excellent condition. As soon as I had settled in, I asked for a sandwich through room service. It was delivered in minutes. Agreed, it is not a very large hotel, but still. And the sandwich was very good indeed.
In the evening I had some free time and I decided to go to the city center for some entertainment. On my way down I ran into the General Manager, Mr Yves, who was taking care of his customers instead of hiding in his office, and he gave me some excellent advice on cultural events taking place in central Beijing. After I made up my mind, he personally called a cab for me, and gave me some tips about places I could check out for eating in town.
Speaking of food, I should mention that I did eat several times in the hotel's (only) restaurant. Each time was lovely and great, but the Sunday Brunch was more: it was perfect.
Whereas in most top-notch hotels in Beijing, a Brunch is more or less a family buffet offering fairly basic dishes that come in tasty and careful flavours, the Grace Hotel chose a different path. Its Sunday Brunch is ' a la carte ', and oh, what a 'carte'! You can choose up to four dishes of any kind, and I challenge you to finish up all four of them. The food tastes absolutely delicious, and chef Christian deserves credit and recommendation for this culinary gem.
Next time I'll travel to Beijing, I shall go back to the Grace Hotel. I still need to try the cocktails from the hotel bar... I heard they were highly praised.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Marc P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed February 14, 2012

As an art lover, I think this is the only and the best place to stay in Beijing. I had a wonderful time wandering round all the galleries, found some new interesting works from artists I did not know previously and was reacquainted with works of well established artists, namely that of Wu Guanzhong, the father of modern Chinese painting - an artist who I admired 20 years ago when I was studying in Beijing and that I have all but forgotten.
I was very very VERY spoilt at Grace - from the initial glass of champagne at check in to the wonderful made to order breakfasts; from the wonderfully CLEAN and airy room to my own very large bathroom - what a difference it was to when I was last in Beijing as a student staying at the university campus - then, I had to share room and bathroom, and had daily 'run ins' with rats and all types of creepy crawlies - ugh!!!
Had a fabulous lunch sitting outside on the terrace with friends and a wonderful intimate dinner in the restaurant with my husband. The restaurant staff were friendly, courteous and extremely helpful.
Loved the photograph which was in my room - man with head in towels - made me smile every time I saw it - the artwork in the rest of the hotel I found to be quite quirky and humorous.
Yes, it is a teeny tiny bit inconvenient to get to and from the centre of Beijing but then why would anyone want to leave? I would stay and wait for Beijing to move its centre to 798!

Front desk / check in - complimentary champagne
Room - large, cool and airy
Bathroom - large
Breakfast - made to order

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank psyap
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 13, 2012

If you love quirky small hotels that offer unobtrusive yet very friendly individual service, not forgetting fantastic food, Grace, Beijing has to be somewhere not to miss.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank acg1960
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I travel to China approx 30% of my time from Los Angeles, and the Grace/Yi Art house hotel is my top favorite respite from the day to day chaos and clamor of business in China. It is very close to the Airport: I choose it also when I have a layover choice that only allows a single night.

The staff was welcoming and very helpful about the area and the galleries. One is greeted with champagne at the reception, and for my stays had imported Shiraz wine in the rooms. The rooms and hallways are airy; the decor its own modern style. The food at Fennel, the on site restaurant is fantastic and the service spot on. They have live bands quite often from what I can gather, and the atmosphere is peaceful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Connecticut, Greenwich
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Traveling to Beijing for research on 798, I chose to stay at the Grace Beijing. With a quick airport express ride (25Y) and Cab ride (15Y), the Grace Beijing is not only convenient from PEK, but it is ideal for anyone who loves art or plans to focus their trip on the 798 art district.

When my luggage was lost, the front desk called Air China for me and dealt with my issue, returning it back in two days!

I stayed at the Grace Beijing for two weeks and had an amazing time, the customer service was the best that I had experienced not only in China, but throughout all of my travels. To give two specific examples, I had mentioned to the front desk that I wanted to take public transportation to Panjiayuan Shichang. The head breakfast server (they give a great complimentary breakfast) told me that if I was in no rush, he could take me on his way home.
I had many experiences in which several of the hotel's customer service would run into me while in the city.

Moreover, during my last week I ran into Roberto who is absolutely wonderful and he stated that he noticed my two-week long stay. He said that he saw there had been a few vacant rooms and immediately offered to upgrade me into one of the suites. Roberto was incredibly kind and it was a pleasure to hear his experiences about Grace Hotels in Asia.

Although its location is a bit more inconvenient (you need to take the bus or cab to the subway), the Grace Beijing is definitely worth it.

Between the customer service, included breakfast, fresh flowers, and of course accessibility to art right out your door, the Grace Beijing is the best hotel in the 798 District.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2012

After a few days in busy, hectic Beijing, it felt like sanctuary to get away to the art district. The hotel is modern and quite nice in decor, with very comfortable bedding, though perhaps the bathroom had a couple of kinks in its fixtures. The included breakfast was lovely, and the service provided during breakfast dining was excellent. The front desk was adequate though due to the language barrier, some requests were not so easily understood. However, overall, it was a lovely place to stay, especially to enjoy the artworks within and around the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 27thstring
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Art and architecture is right at your doorstep. Sure, it may be a little commercialized, but I can't think of anywhere in the world where you'd find an art district that isn't or will be commercialized. Has a very different feel from the rest of the Beijing region.

Hotel room furnishings are nice but not luxury or fancy. You'll be very comfortable. I like the breakfast setup. If breakfast comes in your package, you can order individual dishes as you like so the food is real fresh and not sitting on the buffet table for hours.

Staff try to be as friendly as possible given the language barrier they may or may not face and they may even tell you a little bit of the art that's hanging in the reception (which changes regularly so I hear).

It is a little out of the ways from the city but given BJ's city congestion, am not entirely sure I would want to be in the city...Defintely a unique experience.

Room Tip: We got 3rd floor and right at the far end. As quiet as possible, view of the grafitt commissioned by...