“A dining adventure in Beijing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dianke Dianlai

Dianke Dianlai
Ranked #1,756 of 12,625 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Yunnan
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Description: Delicious Chinese cuisine well prepared and beautifully presented in this different, yet rewarding restaurant.
Orinda, California
“A dining adventure in Beijing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

In planning our two week trip to China, we stumbled upon the TripAdvisor ratings of restaurants in each city. Beijing was going to be at the end of our trip, so we knew we'd be looking for something different. Indeed, it turned out that we had been treated to Peking Duck seven times in a week and a half.

I read the reviews on Dianke Dianli and was intrigued by the notion of a Yunnan restaurant that even most Beijing locals don't know about. One of my friends was going to be in Beijing a couple of weeks before us, so I suggested he try it out for us. He took a party of ten there (including his brother-in-law from Yunnan) and they all loved it. So our party of four decided to go. We're glad we did.

The concierge at our hotel called ahead to make us reservations and get detailed driving directions for the taxi. Armed with that, the driver had no problem finding the restaurant. I was prepared for a hole in the wall, but the ambiance was charming though simple and unpretentious. And the restaurant (and bathroom) was delightfully clean.

We ordered the 98 RMB fixed price 13-course dinner, supplemented by various fruit juices and beers. The food was a pleasant change from all the Chinese food we had eaten the past week and a half. We especially liked the grilled fish, mushroom pastry, chicken, squash, fried pineapple and something made out of beans. The shrimp was a bit under-cooked for our taste, but when we asked that they take it back to the kitchen and cook it some more, they informed us that it was actually meant to be served cold and assured us it was sufficiently cooked. I did eat several shrimp and they were good (and I didn't get sick). The mixed rice was a bit tasteless, though adding some of the broth from the chili noodles worked well. The scrambled egg was bland. But there was so much food that we couldn't finish it all, so who cares about a couple/three dishes that weren't as delicious as the rest?

The variety of fruit juices were good, but we drank mostly beer. We started with the Dali but thought the Lan Cang River "Cool Beer" was more flavorful. We enjoyed our dinner so much we took handfuls of business cards to distribute to our friends.

While finding a taxi afterwards anywhere close to this alley would normally be a challenge, it was impossible given that it had started to rain. We ended up walking to the nearby subway and taking that, then walking a mile to our hotel as we couldn't find a taxi on the other side either.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank castriker888

Ithaca, NY
“Amazing dinner at Dianke Dianlai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

My husband and I arranged to dine here after reading reviews of other diners. Our hotel called to make the reservation for us. We did have a little trouble finding it, even with the detailed directions of other reviewers (for which we were thankful!). The meal was delicious, beautiful, and memorable. The service was attentive and friendly. We would recommend this to anyone planning a trip to Beijing.

• Visited September 2011
4 Thank EagerReader
Glasgow
“Lovely food and setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

This place is a hidden gem. We did have a tough time finding the place and you should look at the photo on reviews of the front door which will hopefully help of you are visiting – and I recommend you do. We had pre-booked through our hotel and once we arrived we fumbled through the language barrier to choose the 198 rmb fixed price for 14 dishes and we also ordered drinks. We thoroughly enjoyed the food. We had a mixture of fish, meat and vegetable dishes. I cannot say that I loved all fourteen but i loved most of them and enjoyed trying them all. The quality was higher than most of what we came across in China.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank flan_1969
“Great food in authentic restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I had a business dinner last night in Beijing & decided at the last minute not to eat in the hotel so I quickly looked up trip advisor for a place close by. This place came up & I took a chance. It was excellent. 4 of us just arrived with no booking & were immediately seated. It was a Tuesday night & only 4 tables were in use. From what I could see propanol 25% full. There was another table with 4 westerners. It is small but clean with good food. You need to be prepared for the enterance as it is in a Hutong & beside a local shop & lots of smokIng taxi drivers as you go in.
As most places in china still a lot of smOking in the Restuarant which I hate, but was not disturbed. Not sure if there is a non smoking section.
I would definetly go back for food & atmosphere

2 Thank Africapaddy
Sherbrooke, Canada
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

Yes it is hidden. It is in a hutong and has no particular sign outdoor other than the big number showing its address. Ince inside you will find that the staff speak practically no english. This is not a problem as it is a fixed menu. The only decision is whether to drink tea or beer..
There is plenty of food, several types and all very good. This is not a fancy high-end restaurant but a very authentic experience. The good thing about Yunnan food for a westerner is that there is no surprise. This is very accessible food and one of the best value for the money in Beijing.

• Visited June 2011
4 Thank JPDeM

Been to Dianke Dianlai? Share your experiences!