“Memorable Beijing Trip”

Catherine Lu Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Private Day Trip to Huanghuacheng Great Wall with...
Ranked #1 of 426 Tours in Beijing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Catherine Lu Tours offers Beijing private Tour Guide Service for one day, two day, three day city and great wall tours. We focus only on private tours comprising of solo traveler, friends & families. We specialize in personalized, custom designed private Beijing tours with your complete satisfaction in mind. We guarantee your delight as we go with you on unforgettable adventures through the wonders of China!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I know Catherine Lu from my friend in Beijing and very impressive with their service. I spent 3 days and 2 nights in Beijing during our short break in July. Shila is our tour guide. Her English is excellent and she knows a lot about Beijing. The information she told is enough for you to enjoy the sightseeing, not too much load of information, and not too little. She is very helpful from buying tickets, taking photos, even help finding some Chinese herbs that my mom especially requested and that was not in the initial plan. On day one, that we were enjoying the trip so much, so we skipped the lunch. She sincerely deducted the lunch cost from our total charge that we really did not expected. We are really impressed, not from the money back, but from the sincerity. When she confronted with the problem, she also solved it quickly. On our third day, the car was broken, Shila kindly managed a cab and another car to pick up nicely. I would recommend Shila and Catherine Lu Tour to our friends.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,517)
All reviews
"acrobatic show"
in 57 reviews
"major sites"
in 30 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2014

We highly recommend Katherine Lou’s private guided tours.

After reading excellent reviews of Katherline Lu’s tour, we took the plunge and booked a two-day private tour. After booking the tour, Katherine emailed asking for our tour and food preferences, giving the tour that personalized touch. On the first day of the tour, our charming and ever-smiling guide, Tracy, met us at the hotel. We really liked Tracy; she was very proactive and sensitive to our needs. She made modifications to our tour schedule to fit the traffic and crowd situation in the various tourist attractions in Beijing. For example, she moved our great wall tour to a Friday instead of Saturday because of the expected Saturday crowd. In our Tiananmen Square visit, she would lead us to less crowded areas knowing very well we do not like big and loud groups of tourists. For our lunch, unlike other tours where the food is already pre-selected, we get to choose what we want in the restaurants taking into account our preferences. Suffice to say we had great meals with Tracy.

At the end of the tour, you know that you made the right decision in making that private tour. Of course there is a premium to a private tour such as Catherine Lu’s, but you get your money’s worth.

1. If you are wary of really large crowds and sweltering heat, avoid summer weekends. We went to Beijing on the last weekend of summer. Bad idea. It can get hot and crowd was terrible what with all the families trying to make the most of the last days of summer. I heard spring and fall are the best times to visit Beijing.
2. Always make allowances for traffic. Try to stick to the time suggested by the tour guide. I think the schedule already takes the traffic into account.
3. Wear really comfortable shoes. Beijing tourist sites are massive and it will take you hours to fully explore the areas.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

I used Catherine Lu Tours in August of 2014. I had one day to tour Beijing. Tracy was my guide and was very knowledgeable, fun and welcoming. She had very insightful information everywhere we went. I am also very curious about life in general in China (what is popular, great areas to visit, eat, shop, etc.) and we discussed it all. Also, Tracy was also an unexpectedly great photographer!! Not only did she enlighten me on the history everywhere we went, but she took some amazing photos that will help me to remember this trip for the rest of my life. I could not have asked for a better guide for a day trip in China.

1  Thank Wendy W
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The trip was easy to arrange, quick replies and very professional. We had a two day tour, one day in visiting the forbidden city and the second day at the Great Wall and Ming tombs. Both days were excellent we enjoyed it very much! Shila was a great guide, friendly warm and enthusiastic! She was also very knowledgable and her english language skills excellent (I'm an english teacher ) ! The driver was always prompt and we were never left waiting! The restaurant we visited in Beijing was not as good as the one at the Great Wall but that may be down to personal taste, we are quite fussy eaters. But we enjoyed the good at the restaurant at the Great Wall. Shila listened well to our dietary requirements and took care of us very well! Overall we had an excellent two days and we thank you for giving us such a great service!!

1  Thank Catpopey
See more reviews
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Our tour with Catherine was amazing! She responded to emails quickly prior to the tour and picked us up at our hotel right on time. It was a long drive to the Great Wall at Mutianyu, but she gave us information about Beijing and life in China along the way and we never ran out of things to talk about. Mutianyu is a beautiful place to experience the wall, it’s not crowded and it was a great hike. Catherine stayed with us every step of the way and showed compassion by helping my mom on the steep stairs. To make things easier on us, she exchanged our US dollars for Yuan. She even took the time to get each local currency for my brother’s foreign money collection! Our next stop was one of her favorite restaurants, Xiao Long Pu, for lunch. The food Catherine recommended was delicious and we were glad she brought us there. At the Summer Palace, Catherine gave us a tour as we walked around the grounds. It was crowded, but she was able to guide us through all the people. We ended our day at the Olympic Bird’s Nest Stadium and Water Cube, but didn’t go inside. Even though our tour was a bit tiring due to our jetlag plus the heat, humidity, and hiking we still had a great time! Catherine was knowledgeable and sweet and we would definitely recommend her to anyone who wants a quality tour of Beijing.

2  Thank teenagetraveler01

Been to Catherine Lu Tours? Share your experiences!