“Cozy hostel but no bargain”
Review of Peking Yard Hostel

and 1 more site!
Peking Yard Hostel
Ranked #116 of 6,547 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This cozy and nice place seems fairly new and oozes the home-away-from home feeling. We received a warm welcome upon arrival early morning, but unfortunately our experience with the staff went downwards from there (rather uppish and very uninformed answers to our questions). The wonderful lobby/lounge area has free WiFi, comfy sofas, a pool table and you can even play the guitar. Double rooms are quite small and considered the price you can get better value in mid-range hotels in Beijing, but you'll miss the great atmosphere of the hostel. The quaint rooftop terrace and courtyard add to the overall homey feeling of this place.
We haven't tried the food but the breakfast options seemed rather expensive, the espresso was good and reasonably priced though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 29, 2012

During our stay in Beijing (August 2012) we stayed in 3 hostels (you can see my other reviews). This was the best of them, by far. Clean, super clean! Nice bathrooms, B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L lounge area, with books, wifi, billiard table, and so on. The girls in the reception were fantastic, they did the yellow immigraton card for us in seconds. Very helpful. Breakfast was expensive and not good, avoid it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Peking Yard for 4 nights at the beginning of August 2012. Our party was made up of my wife and I, my 2 boys (15 and 10) and my father, so we booked one of the dorm style rooms for all of us.

Coming in, I was immediately impressed how comfortable the common area looked. The girls at the reception desk are very nice and have good enough English to help you out but may require rephrasing the question(s) a few times. As for the room, we booked a "dorm" style room so we could all stay in the same room together. I have to admit, the beds were really comfortable and had a good night sleep every night. Also, each bed has it's own outlet and reading light.

The one negative that I have is the bathroom, even though it was clean, there is always the left over smell from the garbage and the drain. Some of this has to do with the fact that they don't use a "U" bend for the plumbing of the sink and toilet and that you don't flush toilet paper in most places in China. Besides that, it was very clean and comfortable.

The location itself can't be more convenient. First, you get to experience firsthand the life in a Hutong. (You should see the beautiful daycare a few doors down) Next, you're less than 5 minutes walk to the metro, which takes you pretty much everywhere. The Forbidden City is 5 stops away and "Snack Street" is only 3 stops down the metro line. As for food, we more or less ate breakfast and dinner on Dong Si Bei Da Jie (The main street at the end of the alleyway). For breakfast, walk out of the hostel, and go right to the main street. Turn left and go about 3 doors down. We would get 2 steamers of dumplings, 2 bowls of wonton soup, 3 bread sticks and a bowl of hot soya milk, all for 20 yuan. (I swear we must have been the first Caucasians to walk into that place from the surprised looks we had from everyone.) As for dinner, cross the street and go right (south) for about 5-10 minutes. There's a great dumpling place right on one of the street corners. I can't remember the name of the place but the from was all glass and you could see a second floor sitting area.

Overall, we had a great experience and would recommend this place to our friends who are looking at staying outside of big hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Yan8888
Reviewed August 11, 2012

As a hostel, it is very OK. The employees speak English, which is not something you should expect in Beijing.The interior is nice and delicate, the dorm (I stayed in one for six people) is newly painted and has it's own bathroom with shower. The hostel also has double rooms ensuite, I got a peak and it looked decent. It's clean and you can order breakfast and dinner, which is quite OK. My friends and I (four people) booked for four nights through a hostel site, and upon arrival they had booked the first night only for one person. So three of us had to stay our first night at another hostel close by. This was very odd, and the staff admitted that they did not quite understand why this had happened. Well, that was all they admitted. Understanding the world of service and hospitality is not their forte. This made my impression of the hostel rather average.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2012

As with any place the staff makes it or breaks it. The staff here was great. The hostel was very clean, had many extras, a laundry, great commons room, good food and air conditioning. We had some friends visit us who were staying at other hotels and they all moved over here, much preferring it to their places. Easy to get to via metro, which is great because the Beijing cab drivers are really a pain to deal with. You can't go wrong with this place.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room for 2 which I shared, Bunk beds and small but certainly adequate.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2012

A lovely hostel with a really nice atmosphere. The location is very good - only 5 minutes to walk to the next subway station. The room itself was clean. The staff at the hostel were very nice and helpful throughout my stay,and they all spoke good English. The common areas have a really lovely feel - there are some nice sofas, lots of flowers, a pool table and a free internet terminal (as well as wireless access). I stayed in a dorm which consisted of two bunk beds 'downstairs' and then a narrow ladder leading to three mattresses on the floor 'upstairs' underneath the roof. I got to sleep on one of the mattresses, which was surprisingly comfortable and 'cosy', but I do think the price I paid was probably a bit steep for what was effectively a mattress in a small attic. The 'dorm' had its own shower and toilet, which were clean. I had breakfast in the hostel one day - this was very tasty, and there was a good menu (but again a bit expensive compared to other places). In sum, this is a convenient, friendly and cosy place - just possibly a little bit pricy.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in a private room at Peking Yard in September 2011. Its a really wonderful place, hidden out of the hustle bustle of Beijing in a reallly convenient location and its a real bonus staying in a traditional style Hutong. The living space/common room is very cosy and really well decorated, with photos of travels, big sofas, pool table and orchids admist antique Chinese furniture. The room was light, very clean and great value for money. The only thing that could be improved on is the service of the reception girls, who were at times a little unhelpful in comparrision to other hostels we stayed in throughout China. Otherwise this is one of those outstanding hostels, that really do 'hostels' proud.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple