“Rather disappointed”

Ranked #45 of 932 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Durban, South Africa
“Rather disappointed”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband & I decided to book our 3 nights in Beijing at this hotel based on the glowing recommendations below. Whilst I would agree with the comments on the exceptional level of service, good location and adequate accommodation (small clean room & bedding, clean bathroom with hot & cold shower, aircon & free wifi), we were highly disappointed after not being able to sleep a wink on our first night from all the noise and loud chatter coming from the enclosed courtyard. Each room faces onto the small courtyard so there are no ‘quiet’ rooms. At 380 RMB per night we also questioned whether this was really very good value-for-money and therefore checked out after the first night after finding something much better & actually cheaper! So my final comment on this hotel would be, if you’re able to sleep through lots of noise or happy to use earplugs, then this place will be adequate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RichAndMelHeslop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Indonesian first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 12 days in april/march throughout the chinese part of our round-the-world trip. I can honestly say it was a stay i will never forget. It was not the cheapest or fanciest place, but it really shaped our stay in beijing and our experience of the chinese people. The warmth of the employees and their interest in making our stay in beijing something special was second to none!
We spent several nights with the owner, bing, at his favorite restaurant round the corner. Eating local dishes with his family drinking a lot of local beer, and communicating solely with laughs and bodylanguage, is an experience well never forget. The english speaking staff gave us insight in the chinese people that you could not get from professional guides. Being greeted by the hotel dog, maomao, after a long day really felt like like a coming home. I truly felt sad when i gave the receptionist, william, a big hug when we had to leave. A place like this is hard to come by and i can honestly say that the great recommendations here on tripadvisor reflects what you can expect to get. I miss these guys and this place...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JesperLind
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My wife, four year old son, and I had an enjoyable time in our stay at
the Qingfeng-Xisi Hutong Guest House in the spring of 2011. We were in
Beijing visiting her family. In 1998 and 2005 we had stayed in her
father's court yard house near the bell and drum towers. However this
house was being rented. So my wife read about this guest house and it
turned out to be a great substitute. As one of the interesting things
about Beijing is being around the day-to-day life in the smaller
neighborhoods. The neighborhood the guest house was in wasn't
'touristy' or built up at all, but it is well-located as it is inside
the 2nd ring road and you can get around via subway, bus and taxi. The
guest house staff was young, friendly and very helpful. One night they
invited guests to make/eat dumplings. This was fun and we met guests
from France, Vietnam, England, U.S., and Kazakhstan. They do a good job keeping
the two computers in the desk in the back room working. So, great
place... my only caveat is that you need to be just a bit on the
adventurous side if you don't speak Chinese or know Beijing already.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mparker84
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here in a dorm room in February 2010 (double room too expensive!) and thought the hostel was fantastic. The location was brilliant, we felt like we were seeing the real city by being in a hutong and it was perfect for exploring Old Beijing and the sites. The staff here were great (especially the manager William, super friendly and helpful. The owner, Bing, even shared his keg of German beer with us one night that he'd been given as a gift. They also had a free dumpling evening and made a special effort to run out and buy extra ingredients for just me and I am vegtarian! I'd highly reccommend staying here to any travellers. The only downside was that the dorm showers were in a cold outhouse and there was no window in the dorm room.

Really glad we stayed here as it was a great introduction to China.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Electr0nica
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed March 15, 2011

This hostel was an additive experience to my stay in Beijing. Although I arrived the first morning before 7am and clearly woke up the people who manage the hostel, they were still so nice and accommodating. Not only was their spoken English so welcome, but their demeanor and helpfulness made me feel so much better after having just arrived in this new place. This continued throughout my stay. I would definitely stay here again if I find myself back in Beijing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank adstein
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Very cozy hostel set in a tradtional chinese hutong. Close to subway station which means you have access to everywhere in the city. Western toilets are a huge plus (if you hate the 'squatter' style) and are always clean. The plumbing is in order and hot water is plentiful. Rooms come with heaters and air conditioners which are needed in winter and summer respectively.

Staff here is the best that you can get. Everyone is friendly, outgoing, helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank foggi3
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This is hostel heaven and the people are saints! Come here to experience the huge hearts and warmth of Beijing. I wish I had more than 5 stars for the quality of my stay at this wonderful hutong. As it was winter, I was given a free upgrade to this deluxe hostel instead of the Temple Lilian I originally booked. The Temple Lilian looks great for summer though.

The accommodation was spacious and interestingly decorated. The wifi worked well and the rooms were nice. The beds were a little hard, but this is true of most places in china - Westerners used to cushy beds have to adjust.

I love these people, and they redefine 'eager to please'! The employees are so incredibly friendly and will do anything with a smile to ensure a great stay. A few examples:

I booked a ticket to the Beijing opera with them, and guess what, Bing drove me there, INSISTED on waiting in the car during the performance, and drove me home. Who does that? The next night, I booked a last minute ticket to the kung fu show. He drove me, but because he was throwing a party for friends, gave me full cab fare back to the hostel. The man is a gift from the heavens. Now, I don't know if you should expect the same thing in summer in high season, but this just shows you the quality of people you're dealing with.

They'll do what they can, and with a smile. Book all your tours with them as well, as they offer better prices than most anywhere else. You'll never stay at a friendlier place. The neigbourhood is a very functional,safe, workaday part of the city, full of hutongs and restaurants. Stay here to see how people in Beijing really live. The subway and buses are close so its very easy to get around anywhere. I will definitely stay with them next time I'm in Beijing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo