“798 Art District”

Ranked #34 of 1,568 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This bustling area is a hub for contemporary Chinese art with a wide array of different styles. This old factory compound has been perfectly converted to house numerous galleries and bookshops & cafes.
Reviewed May 21, 2009

After a long walk from Lufthansa center and after getting lost two times I finally found this trendy art district in Beijing. And it was surely worth the walk! The area is totally different to all the other places in Beijing. It is an old factory district, where everything has been renovated and the factory rooms now play as galleries, studios, art rooms, restaurants, bars and cafes. I didn't care too much for the art, although some was quite interesting, the area itself is really worth visiting, even for people who don't care about contemporary art. And the galleries are free! It reminded me of Soho in New York. I spent there three hours, but would've loved to stay longer. The district has a great feeling, it's really non-Chinese in a positive way, a great getaway. And probably the cosiest cafes in the city. I warmly recommend 798 District to everyone! Definitely will go back soon. But next time I'll take a taxi, it's quite far and no subway stations near.

13  Thank Pietari85
Write a ReviewReviews (2,233)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
"gifts"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed March 12, 2009

(Mar 7, 2009) Visited 798 factory. Its actually an old factory compound converted into an art zone with many different galleries located in differenct sections of the compound. alooTouristy? Yes. Artsy? Yes. Interesting? Yes. Big? Huge! Very tiring. should not miss when in Beijing. allocate at LEAST 4 hours and wear comfortable shoes for walking.

2  Thank evenpar4me
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Great place to see contemporary art in different huge galleries and free.
try the awesome beef noodles in the cafe in the main building too.

Jump into a cab after and go to the Chaoyang district for more (art).

2  Thank eeshir
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I am a very independent traveller and prior to my recent trip to China I viewed some sites and came across trip advisor and was surprised to see an art precinct listed as a top ranking place to visit.
Once time permitted I visited 798 Art Precinct and was amazed first it is Free to enter, has marvellous street art and many wonderful art galleries to visit .
I was lost many times as I wove my way around the labyrinth of streets and lanes that make up this site. The only drawback at the time there was a lot of reconstruction going you had to be careful where you stepped. But by now I am sure all of this work is complete.
Being an keen photographer I enjoyed the many statues that were outside many of the galleries and attach some of them for you to view.
A bit puffed out after a while I found a great coffee shop well one of many but it was nice to sit outside in the shade of a tree and watch the world go by.
In a back alley I found a great little shop selling silk art and one of their features was to make up a piece from a photo this intrigued me so I returned with a photo of my pet bird. After touring many other places in China I returned to find the piece ready and waiting for me, wow I was impressed (see photo).
798 is an easy place to find, I never used a taxi but found my way on a bus near Dongzhimen subway station.
So if you like art or want to see something different this is a great place to visit.
Enjoy your time in China, I did.
Cheers