“Unable to book because of children”

Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall
Ranked #1 of 1,292 Beijing B&B and Inns
Beijing
“Unable to book because of children”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel has a very akward policy towards children. They seem to insist that even small children sleep in a separate room, so if you don't want your 4-year old to sleep in a room alone with your five-year old, that you and your spouse sleep in separate rooms...Very state-owned Chinese enterprise attitude to "regulations", when I tried to point out that this would not work well.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SophSteph
jimatmutianyu, Owner at Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Guest, The Brickyard welcomes families with children in the context of reasonable policies on occupancy limits for different categories of rooms. Our queen rooms have only one queen bed and not enough space to add a rollaway bed. My team reports that you were offered a premium twin room with a rollaway which would have been comfortable for your family and consistent with our occupancy guidelines. I'm sorry that you elected not to come and sorry that you felt compelled to write a bad review of our family-owned hotel. I am confident that had you actually stayed with us you would have had a wonderful visit and we welcome you in the future. In any case, wishing you and your family happy and safe travels. Jim Spear, Partner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

A very welcoming place. The staff were very welcoming and keen to make your stay a good one. We arrived on the Friday evening and were shown to a well equipped room which, although perhaps a little minimal for some, was very much in keeping with the overall setting and it had a great view of the Great Wall which was running along the ridge of the hill above the village. In the morning the Brickyard arranged for a bus transfer down to the cable car and the driver kindly showed us how to buy the right combination of tickets, making getting up to the wall an easy task. We had a great day walking the wall. The food and service at the lodge was excellent. The Brickyard arranged for us to be picked up from our hotel in Beijing, and also for us to be taken to the airport at the end of our stay. The Brickyard might be viewed as expensive by some, but you get a high quality no stress product in China which is exceptional.

Stow, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

This place is changing the way we think of hotels. We usually stay in main-stream hotels, but this was such a refreshing place that we will start looking for more like it.

Every room has a view of the Great Wall. The service is fantastic, the food is very good. The hot breakfast was included and it was plenty.

In the morning, we took a quiet walk through the village up to the foot of the mountain and it was so peaceful. I will recommend to anyone I know going to the Mutianyu section of the wall to stay the night and make your trip very special.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed a weekend at the Brickyard with children. All family loved the experience.
Beautiful and spacious room with warm decoration, 2 fireplaces , huge windows with view on The Great Wall ! Private garden beautifully arranged.
This place is a beautiful mix of architecture, decoration and landscaping.
The staff is really friendly and helpful
Plenty of activities for adults and children in the surroundings and Brikyard Shoolhouse. We saw craftmen making class work: the children were full of admiration .
It's walking distance to the Great Wall even with children !
We liked this hotel a lot, and will recommend it to our friends!

One recommendation would be to extend the food menu with more options.

Room Tip: The Chairman Suite is beautiful and so spacious with private garden !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Beijing, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed in one of the house for the weekend.
The houses are nice enough ... but:

1. A long way -- literally miles -- from the hotel to the houses
2. Dark rooms with insufficient light
3. Worst -- no hot water, and this was in winter
4. Nobody answering the "emergency" phone line at night to help us
5. Restaurant who brought all dishes (starters and mains) at the same time

Really not as good as it should be for the money. Stay at the Kommune instead.

Room Tip: ask for one near the hotel. not miles away
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

A true peaceful and relaxing place to enjoy an air fresh break, out of crowded Beijiing. Looking at the Great Wall and the stars from your bed is a unique experience you can enjoy here!
I stayed 3 days/nights with my wife and 3 kids in Brickyard end of September. We were in the Charman's suite combining with the Sleeping Buddha room. Both are nicely decorated and very clean. The Charman's suite is very spacious, equipped with a fridge and microwave, convenient for the early morning baby bottle... Free WiFi access is provided. Tea, coffee and cookies available along the day is very welcome. Staff is always kind, helpful and smiling. Gardens are very nice too, although it lacks a larger space for playing with kids (football, badminton, ...) The surroundings are pleasant but walks are not well marked. Maybe the hotel could improve this by providing a more detailed and specific plan (useful for non chinese speaking person...). Access to the Great Wall is quick (about 15 minutes by shuttle kindly provided by the hotel; note to book it in advance). For food, we tried Bryckyard as well as School House a few kilometers away. The menu choice is limited but the food very good. I recommend the nachos at Bryckyard. Outstanding! And note it is best to book in advance if you want a table on the terrace at School House. Finally, a must go around Beijing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Xavier S
Sorrento, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed on aThe Brickyard after the Slow Food Saturday festivities, and thought it was fabulous. I enjoyed my stay immensely. I stayed in a superior room, and the view of the Great Wall was amazing. The hot water ran out after about 10 minutes, but when I brought it up with the staff they were extremely prompt in getting someone to look at it, and it turned out I was the problem and it was fine the rest of my stay. The service was excellent, but I do wish they'd have a schedule for trips to the Great Wall (a shuttle was supposed to be included, but when I asked, I got several different answers about times depending on who I spoke to, and so passed on going to Mutianyu Great Wall because it seemed like a hassle to organise and I had to be back to return to Beijing.)

The nachos are fabulous, same with the spinach and mushroom dip with toast! I wish there were more vegetarian salad options on the menu, but what I did sample was great. The coffee and cookies (available all the time) is a perk, too. I think the return trip driver is an excellent inclusion as well, as I don't drive. The iPhone dock was also a nice inclusion, as well as free wireless.

I also highly recommend the yoga - perfect way to start a Sunday morning, and I'm not a regular. The instructor, Linda, was the best I have ever had.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo